“Great atmosphere and good food”
Review of Gristmill

Gristmill
Ranked #6 of 273 Restaurants in New Braunfels
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated on a bluff overlooking the Guadalupe River, this spectacular restaurant nestled under the shade of towering oak trees has been the perfect getaway for a unique casual dining experience for thirty years. Located in the historic district of Gruene just beneath the famous Gruene water tower, we opened in 1977, serving steaks and hamburgers from a tiny kitchen in the corner of the building. Our menu still features thick steaks and large hamburgers, but the restaurant also serves up popular South Texas fare like chicken fried steak, fried catfish, grilled chicken, enormous sandwiches, fresh fish and special dishes like tomatillo chicken and bronzed catfish. Fudge pie, the enormous strawberry shortcake and our signature Jack Daniel's Pecan Pie are famous desserts. A full bar with a good wine list and fresh squeezed lime margaritas are also big hits.
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This is a really place to eat if you are visiting the area. The outside seating on the river feels like a tree house and is perfect for nice weather. The food was home cooking at its best. Try all the different flavored salsas if you can. Would stop here again on our next visit.

There are newer reviews for Gristmill

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Ordered grilled catfish and when delivered half of it was cold. They put us near the kitchen door and all the traffic. Also the worst part of the whole meal was having to see half the male waiters with their pants hanging below the tops of their buttocks. I was surprised that they would allow such a thing. They were holding them up and when they didn't I was afraid their pants would fall off. My waiter was dressed properly and was very nice and professional.

1  Thank George W
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

The food, the historic building, location all make this restaurant incredible, this is a must see regardless if the food is good or not, which it happens to be excellent! Make the trip to gruene to eat here you will not be disappointed. The only bad thing I found was that it was late summer when I came, and it was pretty late around 9 and as far as I could tell there was nowhere to escape the heat and or they didn't have AC on they have a lot of outdoor seating, but the area where we were seated was in a room which was possible to shut in but they had all doors windows open, so it was slightly uncomfortable do to how hot it still was.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Went to Gruene for the day and decided to try the Gristmill. First impression was great due to our server Bobby. He explained the special and some of the other options. We decided to split an entree and each have a drink. The food was great and the mashed potatoes very tasty. The price very reasonable. The ambiance was fun. We went early enough so we did not have to wait. We liked the place so much that we returned. Tried another entree the second time, and the food was just as good as the first time. We had a different server who was as pleasant as the first. Would I recommend this place-absolutely.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We haven't been to this restaurant in a while so we thought we'd give it another shot. When we approached the hostess outside the restaurant we were told we'd have to wait about 20 minutes -after about 5 minutes we were seated inside and I noticed many empty tables so I have no idea why we were told 20 minutes. I had chicken fried chicken, my husband had the steak salad, and my friend had ribs. The food is basic and one step above a chain such as Applebees or Chilis. This restaurant does well because it is located in the historic town of Gruene and is adjacent to Gruene Hall. Go to downtown New Braunfels for some good food then go to the Hall to listen to music - you'll be much happier.