“Red Roof Inn - a smelly place”

Red Roof Inn New Braunfels
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in New Braunfels
Corinth
“Red Roof Inn - a smelly place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2008

The Red Roof Inn in New Braunfels is the worst hotel I have stayed in. The carpet as you walk the halways ahs black spots on the multi colored carpet. The hallway smells like a wet dog. You will be able to smell the order as soon as you open the front doors as you check in. I asked the manager if I could cancel my reservations and the manager would not. Please be carful before you make reservations at this hotel. I was charged 189.00 dollars per night because I made a two reservations.

• Liked — None
  • Disliked — the smell
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Samson111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2008

My family and I planned a trip to New Braunfels for the 4th of July (2008) weekend. I made the reservation in May of 2008 and spoke to a young lady at the hotel. She said she needed my CC# to hold the room, I told her not to put anything on my card because I would be paying cash when I arrived. I asked her about getting 9 more rooms before June 10 2008 for the weekend of the 4th as well.She assured me she would have the rooms. On June 10th I called to make the reservations for the 9 rooms only to find out that she booked me for June 3rd not July 3-5 and had charged my cc for the room. In doing this, it put an overcharge to my account due to the fact it was in between pay days and we were not expecting this charge. Like most people, I have to count every penny. I spoke to the manager and was told that even though it was their mistake they could only refund the cost of the room and not the overdraft fee. I chose to book all 10 rooms at another hotel for fear of this happening again or worse to someone in my family.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the way they treat customers
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank thetraveler2222

Travelers are raving about these New Braunfels hotels

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2007

My husband and I live/work in Africa and recently took a trip that combined two countries and three states so we wanted a place that was inexpensive but clean while we had appointments in San Antonio. We chose the Red Roof Inn New Braunfels -- big mistake!

The hotel is located right off of the interstate so there's lots of traffic noise. If you have to stay there, request a room at the back of the hotel. Additionally, the front side rooms face a used car lot and they blast music during their entire business day. The air conditioner in the room was extremely loud. We stayed at the hotel for four days and two of those days housekeeping did not clean our room. That was not enough, the room had roaches! They offer a fairly disgusting continental breakfast. Fortunately, we spent most of the days outside of the hotel.

They are close to several fast food restaurants. There's a Mamacita's Mexican restaurant down the street but you'd do much better to drive to San Antonio and visit the one there.

I would not stay at this disgusting hotel again if it were free and I would not recommend it to anyone...even folks I dont' like.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Iflyforfun
Porter, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2006

We stayed at a Red Roof for the first time. Office was not very friendly. No towels or pillows in the room, had to call. Mystery black oil in the tub, couldn't rinse out. Loud partiers in the pool. Mold and mildew in the bathroom. Patched carpet. This was a property that was advertised as newly remodeled. Way over priced for the quality. We stayed here because our first choices were booked. I now understand why. I contacted customer service, with difficulty. They weren't very helpful. They said they would tell the manager. It has been a month and a half since we stayed and I haven't heard back from them. So much for the you'll love our rooms or it is free quarantee. Only at the last resort stay here.

• Liked — It was in New Braunfels
  • Disliked — The service and cleanliness.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Terik
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2006

Our family of 9 stayed in two rooms for a few days the last week of June. We had a very pleasent experience at the red roof in. The rooms were nice, the pool was nice, the continental breakfast was absolutely the best I have ever had. Fresh donuts, cereal, bagles, and a coffee machine with several different flavors. They offer roll away beds, but ask for one as soon as you get there. We asked that evening and they did not have any avaliable at that time. It wasnt too squishy though.
I only had one complaint, the bathtubs drained very, very slowly. You had to take a fast shower or you would be standing in ankle deep water. We asked a few other guests if they had the same problem and they said they did.
Overall, it was a great trip and I would stay there again. The fast shower thing wasnt bad enough to keep me from going back.

By the way, the river is way down. When we went there at the end of June, the only area with acceptable floating was at the top of the river. We only had to get out and walk a few times with our tubes, but we still had fun. There are no rapids at all! Just relaxing floation, (very slowly) We reccomend Rio River if you do decide to try. They gave us 20% off our tubes the 2nd day. I wouldnt now though. Wait for some rain, the river is getting lower every day.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank MonicaAnn111
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2005

My fiancé and I were taking a small tour of central Texas when we decided to stop in New Braunfels and thought the Red Roof Inn would be a fine place to stay. I have stayed at Red Roof before and found them to be just fine for the cost, but not this place.

I worked in hotels for many years myself, and I feel that I have a good understanding of guest relations, but the manager of this particular hotel apparently does not. Here is my story:

We checked into the hotel at about 7:00 PM. I did not notice right away, but after a few minutes I noticed something in the corner. It was a dead cricket. Looking closer, it was actually several dead crickets.

Okay. I have worked in hotels before and I am a very patient and understanding person, so I cleaned up the crickets with tissue and flushed them. Well, there were more all over the room. Heck, I thought. Perhaps they fumigated recently, and did not send housekeeping in afterwards, and had not rented the room until now. In all, I cleaned up about 2 dozen crickets in various states of death. Those that showed some life were released to nature to do what crickets do.

Fine, I thought. That should take care of that. Now to sit down, rest and watch a little TV.

Around 9:30 or so, a dive bomber streaked across the room sending a shriek from my fiancé. Another cricket. Hmm. I must have missed that one. I retrieved a little plastic cup and used it as a temporary prison to transport my new convict back to nature. I noticed as I was walking to the door to grant my captor parole that another cricket was walking along the top of the door sill.

After releasing my prisoner, I went back for his accomplice. While reaching for him, I saw him disappear right before my eyes. I got the chair, stood on it, and saw a small hole in the wall. Well, I thought. If that is where you want to be, there you shall stay. I got a piece of tissue, stuffed it in the hole, and thought that should keep him.

About 15 minutes later, the Air Force was back with two more dive bombers and the resultant shrieks from the innocent citizenry who by now had taken their only refuge under the covers of the bed.

I thought that this was getting ridiculous, but I was determined not to be ousted by critters. I released them, and at the advice of my fiancé who did not want to hear the chirping of the cricket in the wall, unplugged the hole and waited for him to crawl out into my waiting cup.

It was about 1 minute when his little head poked up from his fortress. While I was sneaking up on him, another little head popped up from the hole, and then another.

That's it. They win. There was a nest in the wall, and crickets were crawling out of it, and those that could not find their way back, were left in the room, with no food or water, and eventually meeting their fate. I would be DAMNED if I was going to wake up in the middle of the night covered with crickets.

I went to the front desk and said that we were leaving. There was no way that we were going to stay in a hotel that did not take care of its bug problem.

The manager refused to give us a refund (by phone, I might add. He did not even have the decency to face me while keeping my money.)

I called Red Roof Inn to complain, but they said that the hotel was privately owned and that there nothing that they could do about refunding my money.

There is little that I can do as well, except this. I warn you. If you are staying in New Braunfels, I suggest you stay somewhere else other than the Red Roof Inn. I am sorry that I cannot tell you where, as we ended up driving to Austin to get a hotel room. New Braunfels and San Marcos hotels were all full during that weekend. The Marriot courtyard in Austin on the other hand was very nice and quite affordable.

• Stayed August 2005
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2005

When we notified the manager of a simple air conditioning problem, he insisted on coming into our room at 2:30 in the morning to try to fix it instead of offering another room. This was a huge inconvenience to us and apparently to the manager, too. The next evening after arriving back at the room, I lost a key and was knocking on my door. The manager accused me of being intoxicated and "banging" on the door and called the police and had us "removed" from the hotel. It's New Braunfels...it's summer...I'm sure that worse has happened there. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2005