“A step above Burger King”

Willie's Grill & Ice House
Ranked #29 of 263 Restaurants in New Braunfels
Cuisines: American, Seafood
“A step above Burger King”
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

A sports bar atmosphere using several tv's. Order at the counter burger about 7 dollars with fries special condiments extra. Also has other sandwich items and some plated dishes like chicken fried steak. Service was good. Wife got a burger and asked for well done it was not also asked for extra mustard didn't get that either she got one slice of pickle and a very small slice of onion. My cheese burger was ok but also very little mustard. Given the choice BJ's brew house is 50 feet away we will be there

Visited December 2013

New Braunfels, Texas
“Great Burgers and Beer”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

If want a great burger and a ice cold beer at a reasonable price, this is the place. The atmosphere is fun and even when the parking lot is full have always been able to get in pretty quickly.

Visited December 2013
New Braunfels, Texas
“Average at Best.”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Our kids really wanted to eat here due to other kids raving about the sandbox. The restaurant is new and clean. Decorated with about every tin beer sign they could find. The ordering process is very strange. Upon entering we were met at the counter and placed our order. The girl then gave us the paper with our order and instructed us to give this to our waitress. We then proceeded to get our own drinks. OK that is fine. So we sit down and the waitress comes and gets our order paper. She then ask if we want to make any changes to our order?? Even if I did there are no menus and I just went through the whole ordering process 3 mins ago. This made little sense to us. As we were talking about it at our table some other people overhead us and expressed the same opinion. Why have a waitress. We placed our order up front, we got our own drinks, heck we might as well get our own food. Just seems like an extra step is added.

FOOD
The chicken ranchero plates were large and presented well. I didn't eat them but one in our party stated the chicken was dry. I did ordered the black n bleu burger. When it arrived it was just a patty with grilled onions and cheese. Very plan looking. I inquired to the waitress about the tomato, pickles, mayo etc. She said she will check. She came back said it didn't come with it, so I had her bring some out. I'm a big eater and I only ate half of the burger. It was a good sized burger, but it just didn't have any flavor that stood out. The kids meals were good sized and we were pleased with the amount of steamed veggies the kids got.

Overall there really isn't anything special about this place. Ordering is a hassle and awkward. Large portions but small flavor. Living in New Braunfels there are so many better places to eat. We won't be going back.

• Visited November 2013
Sun City, Arizona
“Tasty food and open air approach”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stopped by for lunch with friends and were pleasantly surprised. Cute industrial decor place, spotlessly clean with friendly and attentive staff. I was surprised when staff began to open garage doors that separated the inside seating from the patio and made it all one big dining space...very cool. The casual food selection was good and tasted even better. Burgers were huge, my $4.65 regular salad overflowed the plate and was nice. Got a kick out of seeing the Corona beer being served upside down at an angle in a large schooner type glass filled with crushed ice that you drank from a straw stuck by the bottle opening, so you were drinking basically from the bottle....clever idea. We enjoyed ourselves and would come back.

• Visited November 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“My new place to go”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Decided on the the spur of the moment to try Willie's. I was very happy with my choice. I love the atmosphere and the outside deck with umbrella tables and chairs, along with a sand pit for the kids. I had a burger, it was well cooked and the veggies fresh. I had the sweet potato fries, they are the string kind and also good. I decided to suppose breast cancer month with a "pink lady" it is a fancy strawberry shake - yum! The other two in my party had the fried fish and the blackened fish, both enjoyed their's also. On a side note, some people at another table order the chicken fried steaks, I couldn't help but notice it was BIG and looked delicious. That is what I am going to try on my next visit.

• Visited October 2013