“Wouldn't waste my time”

Ranked #99 of 263 Restaurants in New Braunfels
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: When it comes to Mexican Food in New Braunfels, Herbert's tops the list. It is our responsibility to continue our family tradition of quality Mexican food and service that our family started over 30 years ago. We are famous for our fajitas, tacos, enchiladas, and authentic homemade tortillas. My Father Herbert Sr. And my Mother Dora, originally started Herbert's Taco Hut in 1976, in San Marcos, Texas, and it has been a landmark ever since. It's my parent's tried and true recipes that have kept our patrons coming back for more than 30 years, and it is those same recipes that will keep them coming back for the next 30 here in New Braunfels.
Houston, Texas
“Wouldn't waste my time”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Food was mediocre at best, atmosphere was nothing to write home about. This place stakes a claim of the best Mexican food in New Braunfels...the don't eat Mexican food in New Braunfels. Attitude goes a long ways, and these folks have one...just the wrong one.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank hottoddy88

“Best Fish Tacos I have EVER had.”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Herbert's is a dive of a place but very family friendly. Though I had a difficult time choosing what I wanted I finally decided on their fried catfish tacos. It has only been recently that I was willing to even eat fish in my tacos but once I did I decided to try fish tacos almost everywhere I go. Herbert's has the best fish tacos I have had yet. The fish was crispy but most importantly they were not greasy. The sauce for the tacos brought it all together. We shall be going there again.

• Visited January 2013
College Station, Texas
“You can do better for breakfast”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We had previously eaten lunch and dinner at Herbert's and had enjoyed it. This was our first time to try them for breakfast. While the food was OK, it was obvious that the staff's efforts were in preparing for the lunch crowd. Service was slow, the kitchen was even slower, the menu very limited, and the food just so-so. While I'd return to Herbert's for lunch or dinner this is my first and only time for breakfast.

• Visited January 2013
New Braunfels, Texas
“Nice outside atmosphere, bad service”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My family has eaten at Herbert's in New Braunfels for lunch without any issues. The food was average but the value was good. We went again last night for dinner and had an unfortunate experience. We waited for 10 minutes at the hostess station to be seated and was told to seat ourselves since we wanted to eat on the outside deck so that our children could play on the playground. We sat at a table outside and waited 10 minutes and no one came to give us menus/water/chips, etc. My wife then went inside to get the attention of a waitress to attend to us. The waitress took our drink order and returned with the wrong drink. It took 10 minutes (again) to get the correct drink brought to our table. After we finally ordered, we waited 40 minutes and still did not have our food. We asked the waitress if she knew where our food was and it was apparent that she had forgotten about us. She went inside and brought our food out shortly afterwards but it had obviously been sitting under a warmer as the guacomole was brownish and warm and the beans/enchiladas were lukewarm. One of the orders was supposed to come with a taco which we brought to the attention of the waitress. She then argued that it did not until we pointed it out on the menu. The atmosphere of the deck is very nice with playground equipment and lights, unfortunately the waitstaff needs better training. As one of our friends said "This place is perfect for football: come for kickoff, be seated first quarter, order by halftime and eat your meal when the game is over!"

• Visited November 2012
New Braunfels, Texas
“Good food lousy service”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We always enjoyed the old, smaller Herbert's when thry were still in the Oaks before they moved across the street into the old Schwamkrug's. And the first few visits to the their new location was very pleasant; we especially enjoyed dining on the patio while the kids could play.
But recently, we made the mistake of going between 6:30 and 7:30, first on a Thursday, the yesterday (Tuesday).
After sitting for 15 minutes, we had to go to the cashier to get someone to wait on us. First one person came and took our drink order (made three trips to get it all), then waited another 15 minutes for someone to take our order; then had to come back after 10 minutes to verify what we had ordered; then waited another 15 minutes before the meals were served; not at the same time, but in stages. We had arrived and were seated by 6:30 PM but didn't get our meals until 7:30 PM. The server assigned to our table was also the server for the patio... go figure.
The food was great. But, "Hello Herbert Management, you may need to contact Robert Irvine, or get someone with restaurant management experience to run the show. Because right now yoou don't know how to manage high volume".

• Visited November 2012