“Love this place!!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have to stop here EVERYTIME we're in town!! LOVE the blue cheese & the white collar burger! Husband loves the chili - double at it's best. Beware of anything hotter! I warned you!! :)
Family friendly during the day. Haven't been at night but, thank you for not smoking!!!

1  Thank KellyJoJo13

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Lots of history in this building in downtown New Braunfels.

Great beer selection. Typical pub grub.

They claim their chili wins awards - not from this chili head.

I recommend eating elsewhere & coming here for the weekend entertainment and beverages. Entertainment is top notch & rarely a cover charge. If there is a small cover charge do not let that keep you away - usually means a memorable artist is performing.

1  Thank Texasleaguer
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stopped here between Austin and San Antonio in search of a little history and we got it! Had lunch here so can't comment on the entertainment. No table service which was okay because it wasn't busy - wouldn't want to be there in a crowd with no wait staff. Food good - sweet potato fries great! The greatest thing about this place is the history - you can visualize this saloon in the roaring 20's with cowboys and barmaids.

1  Thank nloughead
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here on a saturday for an early dinner and drinks, so cannot comment on the entertainment, but the place was really cool and we had a great experience. Lots of local beers to sample and choose from. Good menu- my grilled chicken sandwich and sweet potato fries were great and my husband got the famous chili and was not disappointed! Historical building and friendly helpful staff made it memorable.

1  Thank ultrafittraining
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The Phoenix Saloon is a large, spacious old-fashioned saloon located at a key corner in central New Braunfels, just a block from the city circle and the courthouse.
First of all, the service has always been friendly the times we've been there. You must go to the bar for service--there's no table service--but once you adapt to that, it's fine. I'm not a local (15 minutes away), but we're treated like one.
Second, the food is EXCELLENT, having been featured on the Food Channel. The burgers, made from ground sirloin, are top quality and feature interesting variations (one with chile worked into it, another with a blue cheese center). I'm not a burger person as there are so many bad burgers out there I'm a bit turned off, but the Phoenix Saloon burgers have turned me into a carnivore. The homemade chili is unique, and much acclaimed, the fried green tomatoes were lightly breaded, perfectly cooked so they were crisp on the outside and both firm (not mushy) and soft when you bit into them, the homemade cornbread is old-fashioned, the kind we Texans love. Overall, for bar food, this is A-level cuisine. It's actually a place you'd go to JUST FOR THE FOOD.
Next, the craft beers on tap....what a collection. There must be 40, and many of them are from this part of Texas. I've actually discovered a few local nano-breweries I was not aware of, including the wonderful Guadalupe Brewing Company brews (they are in New Braunfels itself). They will also give you a small sample of any brew you aren't familiar with. One of the best pubs in the area for microbrews.
Also, there's music many nights a week. We've been going on Friday happy hours, and we've heard a nice and diverse array of local Texas Music/Americana artists on the front stage. It's intimate, the sound is good, and the music is FREE during happy hour.
This place gets VERY crowded at night. I've walked by it many times and it's the place to be on Friday and Saturday nights. Then, the large stage in the rear is used.
Also, those who smoke can take their food/drink outside and smoke, which is convenient for both smokers and non-smokers like me.
Overall, if you are looking for a friendly pub with fine food, fine service, fine music, and a good atmosphere (during the days/happy hour, children are even allowed), the Phoenix Saloon in New Braunfels is highly recommended. We now stop there for happy hour a few times a month. See you there...

1  Thank django