“Steer clear of t bar m (the good, bad & ugly)” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
T Bar M Camps & Retreats
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in New Braunfels
Abilene, Texas, United States
“Steer clear of t bar m (the good, bad & ugly)”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

First off this could be a great place to stay for sports enthusiasts. They have tennis courts every where, horseshoes,washers,basketball courts(indoor) , swimming pool, disc golf, bikes, hiking trails and baseball courts. The highlight of the trip was when my wife and I saw deer grazing at sunset while we were walking back to room. My wife and I had a blast playing each other at all these games and it was all fee fun. We played in the evening to work off our dinner.And the location of the resort was good. We were 10 mins from downtown and Texas tubes and the water park and about 20 mins from natural bridge caverns. all good things.

The bad was Customer service and accommodations. My wife and I were chilling In The pool and we decided to order a couple of drinks to relax. First off the bartender didn't know how to make any of the drinks we asked for. So finally we settled for margaritas. My wife got hers frozen. The bartender put way to much ice in the drink and she was very dissatisfied with her drink and asked the bartender to make a new one on the rocks. He charged her for a the third drink. When I found out I was upset and asked to see a manager. He told me to go to the front desk. When I got to the front desk I was informed there was no manger at night. The lady at the front desk did try to resolve the situation by giving us two more margaritas for free but the bartender should have done that in the first first place. Not send me on a wild goose chase trying to find a manager. The rooms were out dated and beds were kinda firm. The free breakfast was very average and was kinda cold. Bad since they could not keep it hot for an hour.

The ugly was the way the resort makes their money in the summer time. They make their money by having summer camps all week long. You can just imaginebspending the week with about 500 teenagers roaming the area ALL THE TIME. My wife and I felt like we were outcasts in high school while we were walking to the pool in the evenings. One group of kids tried breaking into the pool area. The gate needs a room key and the group was too dumb to figure that out. They were shaking the gate very loudly and were in the process of jumping the gate before a staff member asked if they needed any help. They ran away shortly after that. they also house the kids on the second floor. So of course we get a group of rowdy kids above us. They were either practicing their Mexican rain dance routine or practicing there WWF moves. It really sucked when my wife and I were trying to take a nap in the middle of the afternoon and it was ugly when the ruckus started all over again around 11 :30 at night. I had to call the front desk and it did die down but didn't stop completely. Also the free movie sucked because guess what, all the campers were there to watch it and all they did was horse around. And the ugly part was they watched the movie right outside our room so we heard all the noise till 11:30.

All and all I was super pumped about staying at this place but I was badly disappointed. I felt like a second class citizen to a bunch of teenagers and I felt like I payed way too much money to stay there. There was so much potential for this place but in my option they fell way short. Please stay clear or ask if there is a camp staying there during your visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Aaron N
michelleh277, Guest Relations Manager at T Bar M Camps & Retreats, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Hello Aaron,

Thank you for your review. T Bar M wants to continue to provide great customer service and stay for all of our guests.

During the summer, our property does host a variety of events (Corporate Retreats, Family Reunions, Conferences, Drill Team, and Weddings).

We are pleased that you and your wife enjoyed all the amenities on our property. We like to provide as many as possible for guests to enjoy.

We apologize for any inconvenience during your stay. Your review will be distributed to our managerial staff to note your feedback for the "the good, the bad, and the ugly".

Thanks again for the review and have a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We had over 25 people coming from all of the United States stay at the T Bar M for my son's wedding in late July. We started planning the stay with Michelle, the event planner in early April. Some of the guests stayed in the delightful villas while others stayed in the Country Inn. The accommodations were nice and clean. The front desk staff was amazing! I brought numerous gift baskets to be given to our traveling guests and the staff greeted them with a basket when they checked in. We also had an injured family member on crutches and they provided him a scooter to use on the property in the entire weekend. The breakfast was amazing too! We loved our time at the T Bar M and will definitely come back!

Room Tip: Try one of the villas - they are wonderful
1 Thank Martha H
michelleh277, Guest Relations Manager at T Bar M Camps & Retreats, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Hi Mrs. Houston,

Thank you for such an amazing review of our property and of your stay here with us!

Congrats on your son getting married last month!!

I will be sure to let Michelle and our Front Desk staff know that you appreciated their help and wrote about them.

We cannot wait to see you again!
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Our family (50 members from all over the US and Germany) gathered for a reunion over the 4th of July weekend this summer at T Bar M Resort and Conference Center in New Braunfels, TX. We found the resort to be very responsive to our needs. In planning the reunion, I called on their event planners (Michelle and Rhea) many times and was never disappointed. They were extremely helpful about available on and off site activities, photographers, food, transportation needs and more. Once the reunion began they were also very responsive to the individual needs of our guests. Gathering room set-up including WiFi was excellent. We had 2 catered dinners on site with great food and service. Rooms, though nothing fancy, were large, clean and comfortable. Costs were very reasonable. We could not have been more pleased. I would definitely recommend this venue for future family events.

Room Tip: Resort-owned condos were consistently well decorated and comfortable. Individually-owned condos wer...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
michelleh277, Guest Relations Manager at T Bar M Camps & Retreats, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Hi Gatorec

It's awesome to hear that you had a great family reunion here at T Bar M. We know that planning and executing a family reunion can be stressful, but we want to make sure it goes smoothly. Thanks for the compliments on Michelle and Rhea, I'll be sure to show them your review.

Hope we can see y'all here for the next family reunion!
Tel Aviv, Israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Upon arrival, we noticed two dirty Q-tips between the TV stand and a bureau. They were never removed during our two-day stay. The cleaning staff did not empty our trash nor did they make up the bed because we left a "personal item" [an open bag] on top. I don't think they vacuumed the room. The A/C was loud and the thermostat did not work, leaving two settings -- high and cold or low and ineffective. (We all caught colds because we used the first setting.) The outside staircases and picnic tables were not made of treated wood, were warped in some places and a great place to get splinters. Breakfast was not a quiet experience, but a shared one with noisy campers. Breakfast the second day was outdoors on an ant-covered patio and the attendant told us there were no high chairs available for our use even though they had been available the day before. (My wife had to carry a chair from the restaurant herself.)

The website is misleading as the pictures make the tiny pool and other facilities look much more expansive than they actually are in person. This place might be okay for families who don't ask a lot in terms of service, but it is definitely not a place to retreat and relax.

1 Thank RGz123
Hi RGz123,

Thank you for your review and your honesty. I am sorry and do apologize for the conditions of your room during your stay here at T Bar M. We strive to make sure that we have a fresh and clean environment.

I have printed out your review and gave it to our Management staff along with our Housekeeping and Maintenance departments in order to correct this problem.

Thank you!

Travelers are raving about these New Braunfels hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

This is my third summer for a mini-cation with my kids. The resort is beautiful with a safe environment for kids to enjoy the outdoors. Plenty for the whole family. I can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed June 2012
Hi Shauna Ann,

It is great to hear that this is your third mini-cation with your kids to our resort. It is always wonderful when our guests keep coming back! Our staff always wants to make sure that our property looks great and enjoyable.

If you don't know already, our Front Desk has revamped our Loyalty program. If you sign up with your e-mail when making a reservation you will be enrolled. It is free to sign up. When you stay with us for 10 nights, your next night is free. The dates never expire either.

We cannot wait to see you again either. Have a great day!
League City, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

We have stayed at T Bar M three times now. The last time we were there, we met a family who coincidentally lives less than twenty minutes away from us. Our sons played basketball together the whole weekend...and now our kids play on the same basketball league...so we all made new friends that we see on a weekly basis! It's great! T Bar M is so family friendly and safety conscious, we don't worry about our kids going off on little jaunts without us. We will be going back for Labor Day! Thanks T Bar!

Room Tip: We always stay in the hotel style rooms...they are a good value for families and have always met our...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
michelleh277, Guest Relations Manager at T Bar M Camps & Retreats, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Hi Jennifer,
Thank you for your review. It is so wonderful to hear that you have made new friends because of your stay at T Bar M. It's funny how small of a world we live in when you really think about it. How great that you made a good connection.
We look forward to having you and your family back Labor Day weekend!
Enjoy your summer!
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

I spent about 5 days here in March 2012, at a quilting retreat. I was in the Country Inn part (Guadalupe? wing). The room was OK, but tired and the a/c was VERY noisy. Even after turning my a/c off, I could still hear the a/cs in the rooms surrounding me and had to wear ear plugs every night. I'm not sure why people had their a/cs on as the weather was really pleasant.

The free WiFi took some fiddling with settings etc. to get working and while the desk staff were helpful, I had to find out how to get it working myself (it worked for my phone but not my laptop; see here for details on how to get it working: http://cybertext.wordpress.com/2012/03/07/more-internet-woes-and-solutions/)

The function rooms we used were great, especially the one upstairs over the dining room -- it had excellent lighting, and was big enough for our subgroup. Tea, coffee, water, ice and fresh fruit were available outside the function room at all times.

The food we had for our group of about 60 was great. We had lots of choices and everything was pretty much separate, which meant you could have dressing or not on your salad, sauce or not on your meat, etc. There was plenty of food and it was tasty and healthy. We had a package that included three meals a day.

We were in a group deal so I'm not sure what the room/food component was, but considering I paid $80 to $110 for some very nice hotels (Hyatts etc.) on the rest of my trip, I hope that their prices were much less to reflect the ordinariness of the rooms.

I think 'resort' might be a little over the top for this place. It was OK, but not what I would expect from a 'resort'. And while we were there, a large group of kids arrived for some sort of Church camp. The staff were good about staggering the meal sittings so we were rarely in the dining room at the same time, but I was surprised by the presence of all these campers.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
michelleh277, Manager at T Bar M Camps & Retreats, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Hi Rhonda B.,
Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate having your quilting group back year after year. It is such a joy to see all the splendid work you all do in the week you are on property.
We love to hear customer criticisms, good and bad. That is after all the only way to improve or to continue on a job well done. T Bar M is a rustic resort and does provide accommodations for all types of groups.
We look forward to seeing you again in 2013!