“ok....but not as good as I expected”
Review of Bonzai

Bonzai
Ranked #54 of 273 Restaurants in New Braunfels
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I've never been to the Benihana (too expensive) but I have been to Shogun in San Antonio. We love Shoguns but rarely get the chance to drive across San Antonio so I was excited to hear about Bonzai in New Braunfels.

I have to say, I was underwhelmed. The hostess did seemed confused about getting us a seat. The food was good, but not great. Portions were large just not especially tasty. Everything was just very under seasoned.

I would say our chef underwhelmed, while I did enjoy the antics of a chef at an adjoining table. Our chef repeated our orders back to us & then proceeded to give my husband the wrong entree. Also, I noted that there was a good deal of interaction between the raw shrimp & the vegetables. While I'm guessing no one had allergies, I still would not be so careless as the chef was in preparation. As I've stated, when eating at this type of place we expect 2 dipping sauces...one for fish & one for meat. The 2 sauces presented at Bonzai are very similar in taste & flavor. When presented, the chef didn't even indicate what each sauce was!

As my husband said, we will never go back. The experience is in the details & while the waitstaff was good, the hostess confusion & lackluster chef & then overall presentation & taste of the food were lacking enough to not warrant another visit from us. For the price ($15.99 for shrimp), we just expect more.

If this review was helpful, please select YES!

1  Thank qv09vvp

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Great food!! Portions are huge and food is very tasty! Love their fried rice, definitely the best around. We have kids ages 3 and 5. They provided great entertainment for the kids and the kids couldnt stop laughing. Service is fast and friendly. A little pricey but totally worth it!! We love this place!!!

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've been there a number of times never have been disappointed. Its not Benihana but its also HALF the price. If you leave the Hibachi table hungry you have a problem. Great service. Good food. Cooks are funny and fairly well trained. Will go again and often.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

We wanted a good sushi restaurant while on vacation. I found Bonzai on UrbanSpoon and we were not dissapointed. The food was great, the service was great and it was a very casual environment. Will return there again on our next vacation to New Braunfels!

Reviewed May 25, 2012

Most of the staff is Mexican. That is unusual for a Japanese hibachi restaurant. The wait staff is young and lacks sufficient training. They need more experienced staff. The hostess is confused and tries her best, but she is not sure where to put the customers. The prices are a little high for what you get.