“An OK place, but don't expect gourmet”
Review of Schobels - CLOSED

Schobels
Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Schobel’s Restaurant on the River serves home-cooked Southern food with a German flair. Whether it’s a quick trip through the buffet or a custom order from our menu, we’re certain you’re going to leave full and happy.We specialize in home cooked food! We have an in-house butcher, home-made sausages, farm fresh vegetables, and pride ourselves on friendly service. We are known for our buffet which is definitely not your typical buffet. Nothing is pre-breaded or out of a can – it’s grandmothers cooking on a larger scale. If buffets aren't your thing we also offer a full menu filled with Southern favorites and a few German dishes. Don’t forget to leave room for our delicious desserts! We have an assortment of homemade pies, with buttermilk being our specialty.Come check out our full bar! With some of the coldest beer in town along with a fabulous atmosphere, Schobel’s is a great place to meet friends and unwind after a long day. We have happy hour specials Monday-Thursday from 4-6 pm.
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Schobels advertises "home cooked food" however, we found it a bit lacking. One can order off a menu or go through a buffet. I went through the buffet and found a few things that looked edible, but most all had little flavor and tasted as though they'd been in the buffet bins a bit too long.

Hubby ordered the Jaeger Schnitzel and it was more like a chicken fried steak with a few mushrooms thrown on top of the gravy. The red cabbage had a strange flavor.

That said, the prices are fair and the food is filling. However, it isn't a place we plan to revisit.

2  Thank scubamom

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Did a google search for a German restraunt with a buffet and this came up. We stopped and gave it a shot. It did have a couple of German recipe items on the buffett but it is not a german restaurant. They do not advertise as such so you cannot blame them for the google pop. The food was wonderful and the staff was very helpful. Even though I was disappointed over it not being a German place it was still a nice stop and I would recommend them highly.

1  Thank MikeM3863
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Stopped off for a first time visit when it was suggested by a friend. The exterior of the building is very appealing, and the grounds are immaculate. We walked in to a friendly welcome and equally nicely furnished restaurant. We were quickly seated and waited for our server. Things kind of took a dive from here.

While very nice, our server must have been very new or just not that good. She did not know the menu well, and when my wife ordered the catfish she did not mention there was NO tartar sauce in the entire restaurant. Only after a dry catfish was served did we find this out. Food service was also very slow. By the time my etouffe arrived a nice film had formed over it showing it had been sitting for a while. It was pretty good I will say once stirred a bit, but the salad bar had a limited selection and flies were visible on the cheese blocks. It also took forever to get our check and refills. (why things took so long I am unsure as the restaurant was less than a third full) Right before we were going to mention something the waitress came over and mentioned that she felt like she had been ignoring us and was sorry. That helped a little, but not much.

While leaving I noticed the extremely clean bathrooms, and the very nice little bar area which looked like a nice place to have a drink and watch a game. This would probably be a nice place to sit with friends and chat over a meal, but I don't think I will be back. Hopefully it was just a bad night for them.

2  Thank bxb4784f
Reviewed August 13, 2011

...it would definitely be better than this one! But, here on earth it's arguably unlikely you'll find a tastier place to eat, at these prices, and with this view! I cant come up with one flaw regarding this establishment.
PS: if your waiter is cool, ask to have the schnitzel(Sp?) with both the jaeger AND jalapeño gravies on the side. The fried green tomatoes are far from run of the mill, and so much better; a perfect serving too.

2  Thank Jdwinslett
Reviewed July 15, 2011

I found this restaurant while on vacation in the New Braunfels area. Upon entering the restaurant we were greeted by a friendly hostess who sat us quickly. The restaurant is very clean and I love the open design. It is located on the river with great views. The food tasted great on the buffet. Our waitress was great...very friendly and attentive to our needs. My 11 year old daughter, who is hard to please, loves this place! Would recommend this restaurant to others.

Justin Braneky
Braneky Pest Prevention, Inc.
Orlando, Fl