“Perfect fall weekend!”

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 4, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Standing tall, fearlessly defiant against the relentlessly flat plain surrounding Interstate 35, is the Wingate by Wyndham in New Braunfels, Texas. Hill country, my behind!

For all intents and purposes, this is a typical chain hotel. The room is big like Texas and the bed was a pillowtop mattress that was insanely comfortable. So much so that I momentarily considered having my mail forwarded here... until I realized that I would be surrounded by people who thought that voting for George Dubya Bush, Ted Cruz and Rick Perry was a good idea.

Breakfast is on the house (hey now!), and as expected, it consists of all of the basic hotel food groups: starch, salt, fat and cholesterol. But you can't beat the price! While gnoshing away on something that vaguely resembled scrambled eggs, I heard someone tuning a guitar in the lobby. Hmm, okay, whatever. Then as I was going for my sixth helping of trans-fat laden carbs at the trough, I espied a slender silver-haired woman wearing sunglasses and a running outfit and checking out the edible offerings on display (she passed). For a moment, I thought "she looks kind of like... nah, never mind..." Later, as I nursed the onset of a diabetic coma in the lobby whilst reading the newspaper of record (USA Today, of course!), I espied a wiry older gentleman walking in wearing a running outfit. For a moment, I thought "he looks kind of like... oh, wait, that's Rodney Crowell!" Mr. Crowell walked past me to the breakfast area to get coffee (since there wasn't a Starbucks within running distance). I normally would not approach total strangers, but I figured, what the hay. So I got up to grab a banana from the little pile placed next to the coffee machine. I said my brief hello and returned to my convalescing area in the lobby. Five minutes later, I noticed that silver-haired lady walking outside wearing sunglasses and wet hair. Ten minutes later she walked back in. It was only then that I recognized the unmistakeable overbight- Emmylou Harris! But this time, I wisely averted my gaze since I knew that women of a certain age do not want to be seen without their face on. Later on that evening, at Gruene Hall, Rodney Crowell saw me and said, "Hey, you're staying at the Wingate, right?" I replied, "Sho nuff, I reckon!"

The bottom line is, if it's good enough for Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell, it's good enough for you. So just shut up and enjoy your reconstituted scrambled eggs!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Very great stay here. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends and family. Only mark down was that they are currently doing construction on the road in front of the hotel so during traffic it's a mess. Has no effect with the hotel though.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple