“Clean and comfortable but forget breakfast”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham New Braunfels
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in New Braunfels
GreenLeadersSilver level
Plano, Texas
“Clean and comfortable but forget breakfast”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We chose the Microtel mainly due to trip advisor reviews. It's a small place about 1 block from I35 on the road to Schlitterbahn. Less road noise, but still on a busy street, so request an odd-numbered room to cut down on the street noise.

Our room was sparkling clean with 2 queen beds, micro, fridge and flat screen tv. The space isn't large, but offers a comfy window seat, A little more storage would be helpful - the small closet is crowded with an ironing board. The beds are very comfortable as are the pillows. Decent shampoo, soap,and towels for 3 are provided.

The staff is a plus - friendly and helpful. The desk clerk hustled up to help up hook up a DVD player to the TV and the breakfast server cheerfully offered to bring fresh coffee to our room when it was brewed. It must have been a lull, because the small serving area is generally overwhelmed with long waits and shortages. We snagged a banana and an apple, but nothing else during our 2-night stay. Personally, I'd like to see them cut back on the current items and instead provide fresh bread and pastries from some of the wonderful nearby bakeries.

The Microtel is very reasonably priced and I would choose it again but would be prepared to get breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
HOJO201, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham New Braunfels, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
I would like to thank you for time and review. We are in process of reorganizing our breakfast as this is our first year of management and learning the needs of our valuable guests. I would like to welcome you back to experience the diffrence on your next stay. Once again, Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We decided to go tubing last weekend and chose this hotel becasue of the great location and good deal I got on Wyndham.com (I guess this is what I get for trying to save a few bucks!) First, we were given a handicapped room. The room was fine, but we felt wrong about taking it as we were not handicapped. We asked for another room, which we were told was available, but they refused to give it to us. (By the way, why on Earth would you put a handicapped room on the 3rd floor?! In case of fire, how is someone in a wheelchair supposed to go down the stairs? Still scratching our heads on that one...) We also shared our room with a family of crickets, which kept us up all night! Flooded bathroom because there was no bathtub, only a wheel-in shower stall. Sink in wet bar leaked. The next day, after my husband tried to address the problem again with now the morning manager, we were given the same refusal. However, they called us 45 minutes later and said we could have the available room if we move our stuff immediately. Well, we were already getting in the river by then!!! In a nutshell, the problem should have been handled the night before. When we returned home on Monday, we realized that they had authorized the WRONG credit card, and now our bank account is tied up!!!!! Aaaaauuggghhh! We travel a lot, and this is the worst experience we have had in several years. If you want a cheap place in a good location, be my guest, I'm sure there are worse places to stay. But please be aware of the incompetent staff!!!!!

1 Thank travel l
First, I would like to apologize for your experience. But as we spoke and explained before you booked a handicapped room over the interenet and on your arrival we were completely booked so, it was not possible for us to move you to diffrent room type. We moved our regular customer for you to have two beds but you had left hotel and we need to get you moved so we can clean your room and get it ready for other guests before they arrive. We try to resolve every issue with appropirate time and manner but sometime if you have to realize that we accomodate 97% in the peak season and if you book specific room type and don't change in timely manner it is hard for us to move around when we are booked. We treat all of our guest equally. Once again, I apologize for any convenience you may have experienced.

Travelers are raving about these New Braunfels hotels

Keller, Texas
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My beautiful wife and I and our 3 kids (14, 14, & 15) stayed here last week for 3 nights while we were in the area toobing the Comal and enjoying Schlitterbaun. The hotel location is great; it is in a nice area, very close to the river and the waterpark, with several restaurants within walking distance, and it is far enough from the highway so there's no real noise from traffic. The front desk attendants were good, but could have come across more friendly to their customers- they just seemed a bit overwhelmed on the phone and especially during the breakfast hours. The breakfast was good each morning, but it is in a small space and gets very crowded, and if you want to get the good stuff you better get up early cuz' by 8:30a-9a most of it is gone. The rooms were comfortable, we had 2 queen beds and added a roll away and the 5 of us did fine in there during our stay. The price was reasonable and overall it was a good hotel for this type of trip.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 13, 2012

While the hotel itself is clean, well kept and in a decent location I found the staff to be aloof and unfriendly. I called the hotel directly to book because we needed connecting rooms since we had three children who wanted to stay together. I was guaranteed these rooms on the phone, but when we got there no connecting rooms were available. The girl at the front desk even said it was possible to have held the rooms when I booked but that was not done and she blamed another employee. We ended up side by side (sort of) however, one adult had to sleep in the kid room each night for safety reasons. Also, because of the casing they use to prevent bed bugs the pillows are terribly uncomfortable. Way too puffy with no give, my neck still hurts. Bring your own pillows. The AC in one of the rooms did not work, nor did the refridgerator. The pool is tiny and has a sign that says the maximum number of bathers (swimmers) is 15. The website said there was a fitness center but there is not. I personally will find another hotel for our NB girls trip next summer.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor.
1 Thank Kathy L
I am sorry that you did not have great stay with us. I would like to thank you for your time to review us and apologize for any front desk micommunication they might have done. But I would assure you that issue is being handled already appropriately, I think we two new hire employees and they might have misinformed you. nontheless, it is not excusable and would like to welcome you back to give us another chance to show you our best hospitality.
Astoria, New York
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Traveling as a couple, my partner and I recently booked a room at the Microtel Inn & Suites during a quick trip to New Braunfels. We didn't stay long. The room we were given was extremely small, which doesn't really bother me, but it wasn't clean - some kind of dried liquid on the wall, an indeterminable black clump on the floor under the bed, etc. The electrical outlets were also grimy and yellowed. Rather than take our chances we decided to leave. Cleanliness is a huge factor for me anywhere I choose to stay and I wouldn't recommend the Microtel to anyone who feels the same way. I understand not to expect the same level of service I would at a 4 star hotel, but at the price they were charging I expected more.

I want to note that one of the reasons we picked this hotel was because of the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. Even now I can see that many other people had a very different experience. Maybe we just caught them on an off time, but I was truly disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank widening8horizons
I would like to thank you for your time to review us. And would like to assure you that what you experience is not what we strive for. Our employees are trained well to do their job for best customer satisfaction possible. I would like apologize for your less satisfactory experience. Please note that I will definately look in to the situation and get to bottom of it. There should be no off days for our employees!.
I would like to welcome you back for give us another chance and assure you that it will not same as last stay.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Very clean hotel, good breakfast (make your own waffles - standard fare). Pool was nice, though somewhat small. Would stay here again for the price for a holiday weekend.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
HOJO201, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham New Braunfels, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We value your opinion and your time. We strive to do the best service possible for our guest. Thanks again and hope to see you soon.
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Nice room. Comfortable beds. Intriguing decor. The breakfast was better than expected. The staff were friendly and helpful. Montana Mikes is out the back door and delicious. Great location and I don't see how they can be beat in that area.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your time to review our hotel. It is guest like you who gives insight to us and other guest in helping make dicision and opporunity for us to make our staff and property to be the best. Once again, we appreciate your time and review.