“Pleasantly Surprised with Some Concerns”

Courtyard by Marriott New Braunfels River Village
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in New Braunfels
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I arrived at this Courtyard and was surprised to find a fairly modern building with lots of additional amenities not within the Courtyard character, such as a nice pool and outdoor sitting area, access to a usable river (they even sell items to use in the river in the lobby), a breakfast buffet with made to order omelets, and a lot of rooms with large balconies.
Reception Area: The area is very large and a nice place to meet with friends and have a few drinks from the bar/restaurant. We actually purchased a bottle of wine and took it outside on the patio overlooking the pool and had a nice causal meeting. There are plenty hot food choices from a limited by inviting menu. You can also buy per-packaged items to have in your room. The usual free coffee is offered, but breakfast will run you between $7-15/person, though you could choose to eat lighter if you wanted to.
Room: The room is standard size, was mostly clean and comfortable. The lighting was quite good in all rooms with a usable work area. For some reason, some hotels like to use half size pillows and then give you a lot of them. I find these pillows to be useless, relatively lumpy and overall a poor choice given the rest of the nice amenities in the hotel. If I was staying for more than a couple of days I would go purchase my own pillows to use. A coffee pot is provided, but if you are a tea drinker no tea was in the room, but some is available in the lobby. Many rooms, though not all, have a balcony overlooking the pool. While there are really no river views due to trees, you might be able to catch a glimpse of it from some rooms. Be forewarned in my room, which was 418, the A/C was very loud when it started up, but was fine when running. Once running it cooled very well, but I was awakened several times by it just turning on which sounded like a loud thump and that fact alone would give me pause to return and I deducted a full point as a result. I am unsure whether the problem is with just that room or is a general problem in the hotel, but I would ask at the desk and don’t be afraid to try it out when you first enter the room to see if it bothers you. Lastly, I said mostly clean since I found hairs in the bathroom in multiple locations.
Location: The location is right next to the interstate and adjacent to the river. Plenty of good restaurants can be found in New Braunfels or Green, both less than 10 minute drives away. While we were not there for recreation the hotel seemed ready to accommodate for such uses, including picnic tables and other green space.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony above the 2nd floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Stacey S

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

The staff at this hotel is great! They were always very friendly and went above and beyond to make us feel at home. The rooms were very clean and the views offered at this hotel are the best in town. I recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the New Braunfels area.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband stayed here for 2 weeks while he was on business. I flew out to stay with him for 4 of those days and had a very nice time. The breakfast the offer is great. Anything from a full breakfast to a quick bite. I never tried dinner but my husband said he enjoyed a great buger while he was there and their panini's were very good too. The only thing that disappointed me was we assumed they served lunch, but that's not the case. I stayed at the hotel for the day while my husband worked. I used the work out room that morning which is very nice. It has the basic things. Went upstairs to shower off and back downstairs to grab a sandwich, but to my surprise there was no lunch. Good thing I had a little breakfast that morning to tie me over until they started serving dinner.

The room was comfy, clean, had a mini fridge and the bed was comfortable. The staff was very friendly. You were always greeted with a "hello' or "welcome back." It's located on the river. You can walk out to picnic tables they have outdoors and just sit out on the patio in the outdoor seating area.

We would definitley come back and next time I'll be better prepared and buy something ahead of time for lunch if I plan on staying behind :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool, not the parking lot.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We recently needed a get-away weekend to relax and get away from the pressures of life. This place was great. The rooms were good size. The staff were fantastic. The have a large grassy knoll in the back where you can sit and sip a beer or glass of wine. They had a live band one night. We sat outside by the fire place and listened to the live music and sipped our wine. Couldn't have been better.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a balcony so you can see the river that runs behind the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights with my husband and daughter. Room was spacious with 2 flat screen tv's. Room was clean. Beds were a little hard. Staff were friendly. Location of this hotel was very good. I will return to this property.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Utilized this hotel at a highly competitive/affordable wedding group rate. Pleasantly surprised with the Courtyard. Very modern hotel, the rooms were spacious which in itself makes things comfortable. The linens were very clean and the bed was comfortable. The only negatives that I have : I could here a bit through the walls, & occasionally the floor would shake like there was a mild earthquake happening. The location was right off of 46 & 35 which is accessible to everywhere we needed to go. Very friendly and attentive staff, check-in and out was very fast. I was very satisfied with this property and will make it my first option hotel on my next visit to New Braunfels...as long as the rate is competitive.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Did not hold my reservation for me even though I guaranteed with a CC. My family had to sleep in a king a pull out couch. The pullout was filthy and there were stains on the bedding. Worst courtyard I have ever stayed at and I travel every week for the past 20 years.

• Stayed: March 2013
6  Thank TexasParrot
cyrv-gm, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New Braunfels River Village, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear TexasParrot,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, we always appreciate feedback.

We greatly apologize for your check in not being as smooth as possible. As a hotel in the top 5% of the Courtyard brand for customer satisfaction for two years running, a Marriott Gold Circle Award Winner, and a Herald-Zeitung Reader’s Choice Award Winner for Best Place to Stay in Comal County we always want to make sure our guests have the most enjoyable stay possible.

We would be honored to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel so we can show you the service and quality that we are known for. Please reach out to our sales team directly next time you are in New Braunfels so we can personally make sure you are taken care of.

The Courtyard by Marriott New Braunfels River Village Management Team