“A mixed bag - but overall good BBQ”

Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que
Ranked #12 of 262 Restaurants in New Braunfels
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Honored as the Best of the Best in the barbecue business and home to the world-famous Big Chop, Cooper’s of New Braunfels is sure to satisfy any BBQ craving. We are located in historic Gruene, just a mile off of I-35, making us a convenient option whether you live nearby or are passing through. Our picnic-style concept allows you to pick from 13 different kinds of meat at the pit, then come inside and select your side dishes such as mac ‘n cheese, cole slaw, potato salad, hot cobbler and more.
TX
“A mixed bag - but overall good BBQ”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Ordered the daily special which was a brisket + sausage combo. The pitmaster just inside the entrance quickly pointed me down the line, where another employee grabbed a pre-wrapped daily special. Had me worried for a minute this was a fast-food restaurant in disguise. Not to worry, it was fresh and tasty.

The brisket was very tender and flavorful, but the outside rub was VERY salty. Trimming off the outer 1/16" brought my sodium level / blood pressure back down to normal. The sausage was good and not overly salty - had more spice and flavor than Kreuz Market's version. Beans are included, self-serve, and were excellent. The potato salad was very good too. The sauce was not very good at all. I rarely sauce my brisket, so not a big deal.

Not a "vintage" atmosphere like City Market or Louie Mueller's. Much more of an OSHA-approved facility, and I'm sure the NewB fire marshall sleeps better at night.

BBQ can be a very individual thing, but Cooper's in NewB is definitely worth a try to see if it's your style.

Round Rock, Texas
“Tasty Texas BBQ”
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Having visited almost all of the classic central Texas BBQ places, I recognize that any BBQ place can have good days and bad days... but I have yet to experience the New Braunfels Cooper's location on a bad day. Each time my husband & I visit, it is consistently good. I might prefer individual meats at other places, but Cooper's is my favorite all-around BBQ restaurant in central Texas.

Their simple rub combines well with anything you see in the pit. My personal favorites are brisket (ask for an end-cut for extra rub), pork ribs, and beef ribs. The price may be a little bit more than some other BBQ places, but it's a superior product, and includes free beans (which I love!) and bread/peppers/etc. They also have some side dishes you can buy separately; my favorite of those is the potato salad (great texture and not too much mayo taste).

Even though you can easily fill up on meat, save some to take home and get some cobbler for dessert (peach & pecan are my favorite; blackberry is too gritty with the seeds).

The atmosphere in New Braunfels isn't fancy, but it's amazing compared to the Llano location... Cooper's New Braunfels is just about 2 miles off I-35 and also close to Schlitterbahn, making it a good choice when driving through town or after a busy summer day.

You can order as little or as much as you like (so you can spend a little or a lot). When we look in the pit, our eyes are always bigger than our stomachs, but that just means we get to take tasty BBQ home!

Texas
“No Way”
Reviewed April 1, 2010

OVER PRICED!! Sauce is bleh....
Go find other BBQ, there's a lot better options out there.

New Braunfels, TX
“Yuck”
Reviewed February 23, 2010

Went for the 1st taime and was dissapointed. Don't know what the hype is about this place. The sauce was the worst.

San Antonio, Texas
“Some of the best”
Reviewed December 30, 2009

Excellent brisket. Wide selection of other meats. Famous for gy-nor-mous pork chops. Good sides. Like the original in Llano, the bbq is great. Everybody in Texas has a favorite; Cooper's makes most lists for good reason.