“Yummy best all around BBQ”

Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que
Ranked #13 of 285 Restaurants in New Braunfels
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Honored as the Best of the Best in the barbecue business and home to the world-famous Big Chop, Cooper’s of New Braunfels is sure to satisfy any BBQ craving. We are located in historic Gruene, just a mile off of I-35, making us a convenient option whether you live nearby or are passing through. Our picnic-style concept allows you to pick from 13 different kinds of meat at the pit, then come inside and select your side dishes such as mac ‘n cheese, cole slaw, potato salad, hot cobbler and more.
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Beef ribs the size of your arm. Brisket so tinder and juicy. Supper nice service. All the beans you can eat!

Mark L, Manager at Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Well, to be clear, the ribs are only the size of your forearm. Ha! What an awesome description. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the brisket and unlimited beans and that our team took good care of you! Have a safe trip back -- we'd love to see you again if you find yourself in New Braunfels down the road.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband LOVES this place. He loves to go on Friday night for the $25. steak and potato. I think it is way over priced, too salty and haven't had a side yet that knocked my socks off or made me want to pay for, again. Beans are fine. I go because he loves it, but I wouldn't ever think to go otherwise.

2  Thank Liz C

We love hearing that your husband's a huge fan, but we wish you wanted to come here even when he doesn't! Thanks for keeping us on our toes and letting us know that we're just not hitting the mark for you, Liz. Feel free to reach out if you have any more specific feedback about how we could finally knock your socks off.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

If you're on a motorcycle don't bother looking for a car stall parking, make a Bee line for the right side of the lot when facing the restaurant and park in the "motorcycle only" stalls they've cordoned off just for bikers. There are about 30+ motorcycle stalls there that run the length of the lot. As soon as you come in you'll be greeted by the bbq pit men who will grab and or cut the pieces of meat you'd like to order. Most people aren't used to ordering by the quarter pound for meat so I'd go lighter than what you'd think you can eat and you can always go back and get more or get some dessert. You don't get a discount for buying more so don't sweat it. Here's my opinion of what is the best at this joint. 1.) Pork Chops. Get 1 and no more per person. It's bigger than a fist and has more juicy meat on it than a thanksgiving turkey. Make no bones about it this is a meal all by itself, and it is well seasoned. If you like pork chops at all this is a must try. If you're a serious carnivore I'd get this and maybe a 1/4 pound of brisket or sausage but no more. Remember there's still dessert and sides. 2.) Brisket and Sausage here are as good as it gets for non backyard smoked meats in or near Austin. It's on the fattier side so be warned if you don't like the fat, and don't be shy about telling the pit men to cut leaner cuts if that's your preference. The beef and pork ribs are ok. Now mind you I have had some of finest back yard bbq smoked meats in the country so my standards are high. if the meat doesn't fall of the bones and are full of flavor and juiciness then I give them a C rating at best. Coopers gets a C+ on ribs. There are a lot of great sides after the pit area, but save room for dessert. Last I visited they had pecan cobbler, blueberry cobbler, peach cobbler, and a whole bunch of other desserts. Most people eat in the dining room right next to the soda and bathroom areas, but if you'd like a quieter spot, head towards the rear of the restaurant and you'll find a nice quiet large room with tv's pointed at ESPN. On Sunday afternoons they have NHRA drag racing. Behind that room is an outdoor picnic style grass backyard. In the Winter or early spring that backyard could be really nice to dine out in. All in all, one of the nicest bbq joints in the area. Clean, well air conditioned friendly staff, and great food. All that and biker friendly too. Can't lose here.

Mark L, Manager at Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Thanks for giving other motorcycle riders a heads-up about the bike parking and what to expect when they head inside! You're definitely right about the brisket -- we serve lean and moist, so we'll cut up whichever is more to your taste. I appreciate your detailed feedback about the ribs because we want all of the meats to be equally awesome. I'm going to follow up on that, and I want you to feel free to let us know how we're doing with those if you have them again in the future. Hope to see you again this summer!

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Whenever I am close to this restaurant, I am there. I have never been disappointed with any of the many choices of meats and sides offered here and I always splurge. My favorites are the pork ribs, prime rib and sausage. the brisket, beef ribs and chicken are delicious too. I usually smother half my entre with their very tasty bbq sauce (which is also for sale along with various rubs). Many sides to choose from and plenty of free frijoles and bread. I especially like the peach cobbler or pecan pie among the various deserts. The sweet tea tastes like it oughta, fresh brewed and sweet.

Awesome to know that you join us every time you make it down from Blanco! My mouth is watering after reading this review, and I think it's safe to say that you're going to cause that for some others, too. Have a wonderful rest of the summer -- we'll have the pork and cobbler waiting for you next time you find yourself in New Braunfels.

Until then,

Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

We had heard this was the pkace to go for good meat. We wanted Prime Rib but as we got there later in the evening (8ish) we were advised the ribeyes were better. NOT! The meat was soooo salty we could not eat it. Sides were unremarkable. I don't get what is so great about this place. We won't be back.

2  Thank lmurphy581
Mark L, Manager at Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

I wish we'd offered up a meal that showed you exactly why you've heard good things! Your Ribeyes should have been perfectly seasoned, and I'm going to pass on your feedback that it wasn't the case. Hopefully in the future we'll be lucky enough to have another chance to show you how we got our reputation.