“Amazing BBQ”

Ranked #12 of 271 Restaurants in New Braunfels
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Honored as the Best of the Best in the barbecue business and home to the world-famous Big Chop, Cooper’s of New Braunfels is sure to satisfy any BBQ craving. We are located in historic Gruene, just a mile off of I-35, making us a convenient option whether you live nearby or are passing through. Our picnic-style concept allows you to pick from 13 different kinds of meat at the pit, then come inside and select your side dishes such as mac ‘n cheese, cole slaw, potato salad, hot cobbler and more.
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Wow, this was the best BBQ I´ve ever had in Texas! You order by the weight and than sit down and enjoy the flavorful food. Great to visit after tubing in the river.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

When I'm in New Braunfels I usually try to find an excuse to visit Cooper's for some fork tender brisket. My wife and I did just that today but noticed the had a "rib eye special" on Thur., Fri., & Sat. I was curious as to how this icon of TX barbeque would cook a steak so we decided to try it.
Home run in my opinion! The rib eye was cut 1 1/2 inches thick and big enough for the two of us to share. The one we got came off the grill medium rare to medium, which was perfect for us, but I'm sure they would prep it any way you want. The steak was very tender and flavorful and the $24.99 special included a baked potato which was also big enough to share. (My wife remarked that the potato had probably been baked much earlier and wasn't as fluffy as she would have liked but I liked it.) The special also included a soft drink or tea. I've paid a lot more for a steak but I don't think I've had a better one.

Mention Cooper's barbeque in this part of the world and most people will think you are talking about the Llano location that has had people standing in line for decades but this location is closer to San Antonio and, in my opinion, a clone of the other one quality wise. You'll dine off freezer paper while seated at a picnic table but the pinto beans, jalapenos, and crispy sliced onions are complementary and at Coopers, as the employees' shirts say, "It's all about the meat".

Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Best BBQ in Texas, great selection, great atmosphere and service is great.
Its a little pricey on some items but worth it.

Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Finally made it to Cooper's today for the first time. I had been wanting to come by for years...anyway, once I got educated on how the orders are taken, I got some brisket and jalapeño sausage, potato salad and pecan cobbler. (Yeah, I know it's a lot but I thought I could handle it). Be careful that you don't order too much meat. Our eyes are always bigger than our stomachs and I got too much food (1lb of meat!). I will order differently next time. Anyway, the brisket was cooked right, but was slightly more salty and tough than I like mine. Jalapeño sausage was pretty good. Potato salad and pecan cobbler were very good! The atmosphere is nothing new and it needs to have some of the shine knocked off. There are plenty of condiments and tables, so that's good. There are Pinto beans available for "free" near the sauce and condiments, but all I could think was $23 for 2 meats, 1 side a dessert and a drink might = beans that aren't so free. Anyway, my bad for ordering too much and the price per pound is ok. Check it out if you are in New Braunfels! Don't forget about the free beans!!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We went to Cooper's last Saturday after a kid's soccer game nearby. I had never been there before but was told it was great. Great must be used sparingly for the truly great restaurants, but Cooper's is really, really, really good.

Now to first impressions. As you approach the front door the delicious smell hits you. Your stomach goes to Defcon 4 of hunger and excitement. Open the door and you are greeted by an older gentleman standing over this grill of 6-10 different cuts and types of meat. The presentation is outstanding. The meats are already cooked and keeping warm on this grill. You will see a variety of cuts and some that you don't normally see in BBQ joints such as approx 1.5 inch thick pork chop dripping with juice and just calling to you. I was there with the family and tried to keep it easy so we ordered brisket and sausage (normal and spicy). Unfortunately, I only watched with great envy as my friend finished off the pork chop. So this is my introduction to Cooper's...a beautiful display of meats and the gentleman asks you what and which do you want.

After your meat is handed to you on a plastic tray, you move over to the next counter where a young man will slice your meat (brisket). We ordered typical sides such as beans and potato salad. My kids ordered mac 'n cheese. They ordered plain but they also offer it cooked with jalapeno's. It's all sorts of sloppy and delicious, I am sure.

Food- Brisket was very good. Moist. Could stand alone. Sausages were delicious, juicy and well cooked. Beans were typical BBQ beans. Nothing special, they did the job just fine. Potato salad was nice. Good taste. I prefer it when the potato salad isn't heavy on the mayo. I wasn't crazy about the BBQ sauce. It was too runny. It had a nice, slightly tangy taste but I wasn't sure if it was intentionally thin or this was a mistake. Watered down a little? But like I said, it wasn't bad. Nice taste, but oddly thin or runny. You can walk over to a table near the benches and grab a loaf of Butter Crust bread or just take some slices. I liked that. Bread is a must with BBQ. Gotta sop up the sauce. We didn't have any dessert items but they looked good. Pecan pie and a couple cobblers.

Atmosphere- This is a big warehouse setting. BBQ benches lined up in rows. It's all very comfortable and easy for families with young kids. The staff was very nice and the restaurant/bathrooms very clean.

It's not a long drive from SA so I will be going back again. I need to have that pork chop. And I left feeling that my first impression (smell and meat display) was the lasting impression...good place to eat.