“Loved the River Lookout Room”

Gruene Mansion Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 12 New Braunfels B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 2, 2010

My fiancee and I stayed here because I grew up coming to Gruene and New Braunfels and I wanted him to see where our family spent many summers. We booked the River Lookout because I wanted a view of the Guadalupe River and we were not dissappointed at all. Check in was easy and the staff was so pleasant. We were able to park close the the room, but not right in front, but that didnt bother us at all. Our room had a privacy gate in front of it and a wonderful covered porch overlooking the river. It had 2 rocking chairs, a ceiling fan and small table for our evening beverages. There is an adjoining door on the porch which would be nice for 2 couple traveling together. The picture on thier website shows a window unit type air conditioning, but now there is central air and a beautiful stained glass window.
The bed was very comfy and having a mini fridge was nice for our leftovers from the Gristmill Restaurant next door. I loved the clawfoot tub/shower combo as well. Every morning we enjoyed delicious treats such as tarragon potatoes, eggs, sausage, mini cinnamon rolls, orange muffins and pecan coffee on our porch.
We enjoyed our stay and hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 15, 2010

Myself and 3 friends stayed two nights at Gruene Mansion and had the most wonderful time!! lots of fun things to do and Gruene Hall was the best. i cant say enough about the breakfast, it was wonderful, fresh and the atmosphere was excellent. I can't recommend Gruene mansion enough!!! I have never done a review before but after reading the negative one about Gruene mansion I felt I had to!!!! this many reviews and one bad one? that person probably wouldn't be happy anywhere!!

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2009

What a perfect weekend. Went with a large group to hear Charlie R's birthday party at Gruene hall. Stayed in Das Fluss Haus #11 - very private with a short walk to mix in with friends. The king bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was great for a couple. There was a HD flatscreen but we never turned it on. Everyone thought that their cottage room was the best.

We have stayed in many, many 5-stars over the years, but have never had a better experience. The staff was amazing. The grounds are immaculate - very, very clean and maintained.

Everything is literally in walking distance. Take your friend Christmas list - lots of unique shops - I enjoyed going with my wife several times and I HATE to shop.

Time your trip with someone you would want to hear at Gruene Hall - even if you don't want to go in you can sit on the patio of the Mansion and hear very well.

I would recommend Spring or Fall - the Texas heat in August would be brutal. You are outside a lot during the day.

The food at the Gristmill and River City Grill was fabulous - RCG is air conditioned - GM is not. The breakfast at the Mansion is very good - a true buffet with fresh pastries and fruit.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 1TexasTraveler
Reviewed August 17, 2009

The Gruence Mansion Inn has two sets of accommodations, upstairs in the main house and in several outbuildings detached from the main house. The outside of the mansion is beautiful, the inside was not decorated in "period furniture" for use by guest as other bed and breakfast I have stayed in have been. The only portion of the main house open to guests consisted on an office, a room with a large table where you would come and get your breakfast buffet style and take with you, and one other room with multiple small tables and chairs, I presume, for eating indoors if the weather outside is not permitting. I would have like to have seen the "mansion" decorated as it may have been when the owners were living there, or at least to have looked like it was still actually a home set up for guest to congregate in a "parlor" or grand room" after a day in the town, but it was not.

The breakfast was about the best I have had. Something for everyone, multiple homemade pastries, fruits, cereals, pancakes, eggs, sausage, juice- very good and the ladies that came in early to cook were very nice and seemed "proud" of the wonderful meal they had prepared.

We stayed in the River Hideout Room overlooking the Guadalupe. The room was clean, decorated rustic but cute and tasteful. Probably the smallest bedroom I have ever stayed in that was classified as a bed and breakfast. I would say more like a "lodge" feel. The view of the river was pretty but difficult to see even from your private porch without standing up and looking down as it was down a huge embakement.

If you plan to go to Gruene Hall go for the historic value and not for plans to "cut a rug". We were hoping for bragging rights to dancing the "oldest dance hall in Texas" but unfortunaltely apparently no one dances there anymore but goes to hang out, party and socialize. We were there several times while we were in Gruene and never saw anyone dancing, in fact when entertainers came in on Sat. night, the dance floor was used to stand on to see the entertainer, not for dancing. When we returned we shared this info. with some friends who told us they had the same experience when they went to Gruene Hall.

The town was small with a few quaint shops, the weekend "art" and "crafts" exhibits really did not feature a whole lot. The town would swell so much on the weekend for the festival that parking became difficult and there were only 3 restaurants I could identify that even had air conditioning. One was the Gruene Bar and Grill, we ate there several times, good food but a 45 minute wait at 9pm on the weekend to get a burger. "Mozies" that is basically a bar and I would not take a family there, and the "Gruene Tea Room" which looked very nice but was inappropriate for small children in my opinion (had lit candles in the daytime). The Gristmill Restaurant and Gruene Hall neither had airconditioning so unless you like eating or socialing in a sauna I would avoid these places in the summer and go for a weekend in the fall when it would probably be much more enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2009

We love downtown Gruene and go several times a year. Each time I try to find new places and we loved the Gruene Mansion Inn beside Gruene Hall.
At night we snuck out to the yard to catch a seat and listen to the bands in Gruene Hall. The grounds are beautiful and make great picture backgrounds. The Gruene River Inn & Gristmill for dinner are very close.
You will love the historic charm of this place and the walking distance to the middle of town. Our room was cool and bed was soft. Bathroom can seem dark but we loved the clawfoot tub and bar area with frig and sink. Some rooms are two story with the only bathroom being up top- can be challenging at times but worth the experience. Breakfast was hot and always good. Check-out can be time consuming with only 1 person working to check in and out. Just find a nice spot right outside the door under the trees and sit a while. No pool but worth every penny. I highly suggest a visit in the spring- to see the beautiful grounds.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2009

We love the Gruene Mansion Inn! The rooms are full of charm, character, and amenities. The location on the river is excellent, and there's so much to do in the area. The people who work at the Mansion are wonderful - they found out that we had to leave before breakfast was scheduled to begin, so they told us to come to the back door before we left and they would feed us whatever was ready at the time. Even thought it was a full hour before they were scheduled to begin serving, they served us a delicious breakfast of homemade cinnamon rolls, carrot bread, bacon, and they even took the trouble to scramble us some eggs to go with this. That's amazing service that you so seldom find anywhere anymore. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2009

We stayed on a Thursday night after toobing the Guadalupe during the day. Nice to be able to walk to Gruene Hall and then walk to nearby restaurants. Cute shops are right there too... We stayed in the "corn crib". It was small but cute. Bed wasn't very comfortable and pillows were terrible but for one night not a big deal. Breakfast was good (buffet style) and had a good variety.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple