“Beware. Filthy MOTEL. Cannot be called an Inn.”
Review of Edelweiss Inn

Edelweiss Inn
Ranked #33 of 33 Hotels in New Braunfels
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We booked thru a search engine online and were told that we would not be charged until we checked in.
Upon our arrival, I noticed all off the dog poop in front of our parking spot and said this is not a good sign. As we went inside, the RUDE owner, would not let us see a room, yet showed us a picture that sits on the counter wrapped in plastic. I informed him that we would not need to see the room that we were going to stay elsewhere.
Once we returned home, we noticed he charged our CC.
This place should be condemned at the very least.....

We will also be contacting the BBB.....

Room Tip: Don't even think about it...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Sheri L

Reviewed August 6, 2013

The hotel website offers a Jacuzzi spa and free wifi. The Jacuzzi was there but it had no water in it and there was no internet service as well. This place is not what we paid for AT ALL!! It was the nastiest thing I have ever stepped into. There was a very large white stain on the curtain as soon as you walk in. Im not sure what it was and I do not care to know. There was a razor blade lying face up in the middle of the hotel room floor. Long black curly hairs filled the room, under the sheets, on the pillows, EVERYWHERE!! We booked a room for 4 people with two queen beds our room had two double beds instead which is NOT what we paid for. There were only two towels in the room and when I asked for two more and the gentleman told us to go get the used towels out of our rooms and he would wash the towels and give them to us when they were out of the washer. To me that is just horrible customer service and it is unacceptable that he did not have enough towels to give us. The towel rack was laying on the floor and the maintenance man came to fix it, took the rack and never brought it back to us. The gentleman at the front who was most likely the owner gave us his name and told us to call and ask for another gentleman a manager when we asked for a corporate number. Come to find out these businesses are all privately owned and there is no manager under the name that he gave us they were all the same person and he was very rude to us. He threatened to call the cops on us as we were checking out because we were trying to talk to him about a discount and all the problems we were having and for him lying to us. The night before we checked out I asked the maintenance man if he knew the names that the gentleman had given us and he said he had never heard of either one of the names before, its pretty sad that he didn't know his bosses names most likely because the rude gentleman/owner made them up. When we were checking out and the gentleman was yelling at us the cleaning lady walked by and I asked her if she was familiar with the managers name and the owner talked over her and told her to get back to work she was not allowed to speak. As we were walking out the door after being threatened that he would call the police on us because he had our plate numbers we called the local police department and explained everything to them because we did not want them searching for us all day while we were floating the river. The police office said that we had done nothing wrong and that he was sorry we had a bad stay but the town was a really great town, and that the owner did not even call them.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Haileywink
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I am warning anyone who is even remotely thinking about staying at this hotel. PLEASE DO NOT! The manager/owner is very rude and will cuss you before you even get checked in. He went up on the price after we arrived and when we told him we were not staying because he went up on the rate. He charged my credit card anyway. It looked filthy and very unsecured. Didn't feel safe even in the parking lot area. I have never been talked to so rudely before by a motel before even checking in. I am warning anyone to NOT even call and make a reservation because your credit card will be charged even if you cancel the room. I cannot even give a rating on this place because it is that BAD!!!!!

Room Tip: I beg you do not stay here!!!
Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank sassy2731
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My girlfriend had been here a few years ago & said it was a pretty nice place to stay, so as we were planning our trip to New Braunsfels she booked us 5 rooms. The day before our trip I decided to look at the pics of the motel rooms, in doing so I saw the horredous reviews. Not wanting to jump the gun I decided to pack my own sheets, blankets & pillows just in case it was as bad as the reviews had stated. The day before we went she had to cancel 2 rooms, 24 hours prior to us going. When we got to New Braunsfels the motel was the first place we went it was 10 am. We asked if we could check in & the owner or manager told us not until 3pm. No big deal. When we returned at 6pm we were told that our room would be $95.95 a night. I told him that he had quoted us $85.95 a night. He said that it was before the rooms were cancelled. I asked him why we were being charged for the rooms being cancelled when we did it 24 hours prior. He then said it was going to be $99.95. After trying to be very nice with this man I felt it was best that I just wait for my girlfriend to get to the motel since she is the one that booked it. Once she arrived this man became very beligerent with us & told us he was voiding all of our rooms, which was good because we didn't want to stay there but that he would be charging my girlfriends credit card for all 5 rooms for both nights. We told him it was against the law, he said it wasn't & he didn't care. Bottom line never stay here!!! We will be reporting him to the BBB.

Room Tip: Never saw the rooms & I am glad after the horrible customer service we recieved.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Jill S
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This place looked great from the outside. I was expecting a little Austrian charm to spice up the adventure. It certainly did not meet any expectations.

Location: The hotel is approximately 100 ft away from the IH-35 interchange/turnaround and overpass. This tends to amplify the sounds of the steady traffic. If you're a light sleeper, I wouldn't count on much rest.

Building: This is a two story establishment. I looked, but did not see any elevators. If you get a two story room and have ample luggage, expect to get a good work out going up and down the stairs.

Room: The king sized bed was obviously well used. The box springs consisted of two standard sized box springs, with the king sized matress on top. While I don't fault them for that, as it functions adequately, it did lead me to investigate the quality of the matress and other furniture. All of it is at least 10 years old, well worn, for the most part functioning.

Bathroom: Very poorly ventilated, bring your own air freshener. The caulking around the tub and shower have not been done in quite awhile. This leads to the highlight of the trip: cockroaches appearing from behind the showerhead, in the middle of showers.

Pool: What pool? There was a hot tub out there, but it didn't exactly look inviting.

Service: Absolutely horrible.

On a side note, this place is neither German nor Austrian ran. Such disorder would never have been acceptable. You can find better places to stay in the area at comparable prices.

Final thoughts, as a safety inspector, it would probably take me all of an hour to have this building condemned.

Room Tip: There are some places that are not exactly on the internet in the area. I'd recommend driving ar...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Mjolnir117
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was by far the WORST experience we have ever had in any hotel we've stayed in. First off the owner of this hotel is so disrespectful and rude, not only did he not give good service but the place itself was nasty. NOT ONCE in the three nights did we get room service to clean even though we specifically asked so. The owner got upset even if you asked for anything, like towels... giving attitude and threatening that if we had anyone other than the people staying in the rooms even for a little he would call the COPS? I'm still Confused on how an owner can't handle customer service on his own. After our horrible experience we checked out and we payed cash at the end... couple of days later my bank account notified me that there was done an extra $355 charged on my credit card for the hotel. I then called the owner and he gave me dumb/crazy reasons for the charges that were done.. some being because we had friends in the room during the day. He then hung up the phone on me and said for me to figure it out on my own with the people that were in my room. This was done after we had already payed and checked out... so i recommend to all of you NOT TO EVER STAY HERE. The cheaper price will become a lot more expensive in the end.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Jos_A_13963
Reviewed July 7, 2013

HORRIBLE PLACE. First of all, the pictures dont show their "weekly rates" banner strung along the front of the building. The lobby smells like an old musty home. The "landscaping" along the front are cheap plastic pots with dead plants in them...or those close to death. The only color is the awful, gaudy, over the top fake flowers littering the checkin area. I swear I thought I walked into a funeral parlor. The man I will assume was the owner has to have been the rudest person I have ever had to deal with in customer service. And I have dealt with a lot of people!

Since I lived in New Braunfels for a number of years and was coming back for a family holiday, I had a nostalgic memory of this german styled inn. I booked online and was blown away when I arrived at how this place has just been run into the ground and has turned into a cheap and sleazy place. My advice? Steer clear.

Oh, and I politely offered my feedback on improvement and the guy tells me he doesn't care what I think and if he wanted my opinion he would ask for it. :) OPPS! Probably not a cool thing to say!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo