“SMH” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 31 Hotels in New Braunfels
Houston, Texas, United States
“SMH”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was by far the WORST experience we have ever had in any hotel we've stayed in. First off the owner of this hotel is so disrespectful and rude, not only did he not give good service but the place itself was nasty. NOT ONCE in the three nights did we get room service to clean even though we specifically asked so. The owner got upset even if you asked for anything, like towels... giving attitude and threatening that if we had anyone other than the people staying in the rooms even for a little he would call the COPS? I'm still Confused on how an owner can't handle customer service on his own. After our horrible experience we checked out and we payed cash at the end... couple of days later my bank account notified me that there was done an extra $355 charged on my credit card for the hotel. I then called the owner and he gave me dumb/crazy reasons for the charges that were done.. some being because we had friends in the room during the day. He then hung up the phone on me and said for me to figure it out on my own with the people that were in my room. This was done after we had already payed and checked out... so i recommend to all of you NOT TO EVER STAY HERE. The cheaper price will become a lot more expensive in the end.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Jos_A_13963

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

HORRIBLE PLACE. First of all, the pictures dont show their "weekly rates" banner strung along the front of the building. The lobby smells like an old musty home. The "landscaping" along the front are cheap plastic pots with dead plants in them...or those close to death. The only color is the awful, gaudy, over the top fake flowers littering the checkin area. I swear I thought I walked into a funeral parlor. The man I will assume was the owner has to have been the rudest person I have ever had to deal with in customer service. And I have dealt with a lot of people!

Since I lived in New Braunfels for a number of years and was coming back for a family holiday, I had a nostalgic memory of this german styled inn. I booked online and was blown away when I arrived at how this place has just been run into the ground and has turned into a cheap and sleazy place. My advice? Steer clear.

Oh, and I politely offered my feedback on improvement and the guy tells me he doesn't care what I think and if he wanted my opinion he would ask for it. :) OPPS! Probably not a cool thing to say!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Jessica C

Travelers are raving about these New Braunfels hotels

New Braunfels, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife, two year old son and I were new to the area and were working to get established in New Braunfels. We decided to stay at The Edelweiss inn due to its lower price and weekly rate while looking for a home.. For the first few days everything seemed okay despite the room being absolutely filthy, covered in dust and a carpet sticky with god knows what. But by the end of the first week I noticed raised welts appearing all over my little boys body, welts on my arms, as well as on my wife's back and legs. Upon doing a little research on the appearance of the welts, beg bugs became the primary suspect. So one night I came "home" at 4:30 am, walked in to the dark room, pulled back the covers on my sleeping wife and son, and the moment I shined a flashlight I saw a small hoard of bed begs feasting on my wife and son.. I was so upset and shaken that we slept in the car. And despite only staying a few days out of a full paid for week, the management would not refund any money. If you decide to stay here know this; the bed bugs will bite you, they will lay eggs in your clothing and in your luggage, and if you're not careful you will take them with you back to your own home. Please spend just 20 more dollars and stay at one of the many many other hotels just right down the street.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Gary P
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Room was okay. There was lamps but no light bulbs, no jacuzzis in room only a small broken one outside in parking street, dirty towls, and VERY RUDE manager. Had a friend staying in other hotel room come by and manager tried to charge for extra people then continued to scream and accuse us of being terrorist. Never coming back and I don't recommend anyone staying there until the previous owners are gone!

• Stayed April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Jngcm
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Watch out for the extra charges on your account. The desk clerk is a jerk and will charge bogous extras once he has your card information. When you ask to speak to the manager he will hang up on you. The housekeeping lady will come to your door at 10 am to ask if you're going to be checking out even though check out time isn't until 11 am.

Room Tip: Don't stay here! Spend the extra cash to stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank C C
Belton, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had plans to stay the night in New Braunfels since we were going to the Wurstfest and if we are going to a festival that involves drinking all day there is no need to drive afterwards even if it is just an hour away. So that being said, this was one of only a few options for the busy weekend but it was one of the least expensive places that allowed dogs. As we were driving down my girlfriend looked up the reviews for the place although I had already booked the room. The reviews were so bad that we were already wondering if we could cancel the reservation. When I got there I asked if I could see the room first. That was a no because I was told that they do not show rooms after dark. It didn't really make sense. I said that I just wanted to see the place first and the guy pointed to the window as if I should just look out the window. Yes, it does look cute as a building designed to look like an old European wood timber construction. I had to clarify, "room" and the guy showed me photos from a binder. The antics were annoying me and I wanted to cancel the reservation but turned out that I should have provided 24 hours notice. My card was already charged. So we checked out the room and now I understand why the place has such low rating aside from the rude staff. In brief I'll just say that we checked out within 10 minutes of walking in. The place was not just old furniture but dirty with stains and the dog was constantly sniffing at everything. Well, its a step up from camping but not worth the money or discomfort from an girfriend distressed from the idea of staying a night. So even though that night was paid for, we checked into another hotel. Now I need to dispute charges from Edelweiss Inn since I was charged for two nights when I only paid for one and checked out early.

Room Tip: Don't book a room here!
Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Justin S
Pasaena
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Room was very clean, Bed was excellant and comfortable. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Would recommend highly to family and friends...Our stay at the Edelweiss Inn was one of the most pleasant hotels we have ever stayed at in our Texas travels. Please consider visiting here on your next stay.

The Smiths from Pasadena, Texas