Billy Goat's Gruff Campground
$81
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New Braunfels(New Braunfels)(Great Value!)
$99
$86
$84
Courtyard by Marriott New Braunfels River Village(New Braunfels)(Great Value!)
$138
Comfort Suites(New Braunfels)(Great Value!)
$90
$80
Hilton Garden Inn New Braunfels(New Braunfels)(Great Value!)
$121
$97
Best Western Inn & Suites(New Braunfels)(Great Value!)
$100
$87
BestWestern.com
Candlewood Suites New Braunfels(New Braunfels)(Great Value!)
$93
$88
Hotels.com
Sleep Inn & Suites(New Braunfels)(Great Value!)
$59
The Resort at Schlitterbahn(New Braunfels)(Great Value!)
$325
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 30, 2011

a group of us got together for a memorial day vacation to float the river. 1st of all we paid for 2 camp grounds & only got one which we dealt with & made no complaint. 2nd the bathrooms & showers are absolutely disgusting as there was used tampons laying around both.. Yes in the showers too. & there was only 1 toilet, 2 showers, & 2 disgusting porta poty's for the whole camp ground. The porta poty's smelled so bad you couldn't use them & they were right beside the shower so you are forced to smell them during the shower. The shower had no place to set your stuff with mud, bloody toilet paper, & used tampons in the floor how disgusting!! Then we had 2 extra people come up & pay to float for the day & they were still there that evening & the ridiculously intoxicated owners introduced themselves by cursing & screaming about paying for overnight parking. The couple said they were going to pay & went to get out there credit card & we were trying to explain how we were unaware it was owed since they weren't staying overnight. well the owners being outraged for no apparent reason when we were trying to pay for the extra couple either cash or cc their choice got outraged & told everyone on our whole camp lot they had to leave & had the cops come to escort us off. When the police arrived all but myself & 1 other person was unable to drive from drinking on the river & the police asked the woman owner if we could stay & she said the 1's riding in 2 of our vehicles could stay cause had no drivers. Then 20 minutes later the male owner came back & said what the F are ya'll doing here & called the cops to make us all leave. Even the cops explained to him that the wife had agreed we could stay but made no diff. Well since I was the only 1 able to drive & we had 2 vehicles the good police men said they would want off the property too if they were us & let me drive 1 vehicle to an overflow lot of another camp ground??something breeze??? Then they took me back for the 2nd vehicle. The cops also advised us that billy goats gruff is far the worst campsite there due to the owners. The prices at the store are horrible & at a minimum of double store cost for most anything. A beer at the bar is 3 dollars for instance. We were dealing with everything & not making any complaints but the owners have a horrible attitude & seem drunk a lot. Our neighbors in the next camp were angry with what they did to us as well as they also realized they were being insanely ridiculous. The police said there is nothing we can do to recover our money because its prepaid & private property so no matter what we had to leave just because they wanted us too. My advise is to go to any of the other camps as it may be fine or they may have a psychotic outbreak & force you to leave & take your money.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank jackle842010
billygoatsgruff2011, Owner at Billy Goat's Gruff Campground, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2011

First we want to thank all the Memorial Day campers that had a great weekend. We submitted a rebuttal to trip advisor telling the truth but it was bounced back. Our rebuttal was as long as their review and told the truth and those who were there know. As of this point we at Billy Goats Gruff will never respond to a trip advisor review again. If you are reading this and have any questions about camping or these reviews please call us and we will tell you the truth.

Reviewed March 21, 2011

I took my family cmping for spring break.e ended up at Billy Goat Gruff after a horrible experience at the Lazy Land L.
Brook the owner is a wonderful person for getting us in on such short notice. Great access to the water, tube rentals were very inexpensive, the cabins was clean, neat and comfortable. The cabin rentals are a little bit steep but that keeps out the riff raff and the party animals. If you want to relax and have a great time on the river this is where you want to go.
My wife and I are planning another trip for out anniversary.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
billygoatsgruff2011, Owner at Billy Goat's Gruff Campground, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2011

Thanks lordjohnh,

We appreciate the review, glad you had a blast!

Reviewed March 17, 2011

We have stayed at BGG several times over the past four years but our experience last year was awful. We always take a lot of people and we have even gone during off-season when there is literally no business. We have friends that now go there without us because of our past experience. We have been so many times that they know us by name. HOWEVER, this past experience was the worst ever... they were rude, we had to squeeze into the newly remarked spaces and then one of our friends arrived late and had to pay $20 to park her vehicle, we were one person over the number of persons allowed to park free. Then we returned a little later than usual and got yelled at because it was almost dark and we should have been back sooner with the toobs. Of course, in all of the years of our going there that has never been told to us.

Our spot was not cleaned off when we got there, we reported it, said someone would come and clean it and NEVER did. We had some neighbors that shared their spot because it was clear that we could not all fit into that space. We had two spots for 17 people and five tents when in previous years we would have gotten three spaces. The trash bins had not been emptied so of course by the end of our two day stay they were really running over.

We love this spot because it is smaller and more "quaint" but we could hardly believe the customer service that we received this time. We are planning to camp again this year and are having serious issues as to whether we should stay there or not. We are creatures of habit so it's hard to move to somewhere else. I think we will call and speak with the owner and share our complaints and see what happens. If nothing, then of course that is our answer.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank DCB_NWB

Please see website for number of cars/vehicles allowed. Yes we do charge. If you have any questions please ask. Depending on river flows and different trips from year to year times are tube turn in is different. Last year it was 7pm, this year it is 6pm. In regards to the people, they must have added on extra people at the last minute. Most of our sites only hold 6-8 people. If your group adds on, they must go on your existing site if the sites next to you are already reserved. If they would like they could have had a different site. If the trash bins are not emptied, please let us know. We remove trash on Saturday afternoon will you are enjoying yourself on the river. Well Briscoes, hope you called us and we worked it out. How did you like this year? 2011 Had a great time line dancing!!!! Thanks for the hugs. Please write your 2011 review. Thanks

Reviewed August 9, 2010

I was sort of taken aback by all these bad reviews after we had already made our reservations knowing that I could not get my money back. We go every summer and this would be our 7th trip, 4th time to camp. Really, I expected the worst and was sort of dreading our camping trip there because of all the negative feedback. I have stayed at campsites with Rockin R with their extremely rude staff and Lazy L&L who charges to use the showeres that you have to drive to get to. I've even ditched a PAID FOR campsite at Huaco Springs because the drives were so small,our truck couldn't even access our campsite. All sites have their pros and cons though. But when we got there, I changed the poor expectations that I had for this one. Yes, it is in a smaller campground, maybe only 20-30 campsites and a couple of small cabins in what is the backyard of someone's home, but I kinda preferred this rather than a large campground for a few reasons. For one thing, the showers, which were not only hot and free, and bathrooms were so close to walk to! They weren't sparkling four star hotel clean, no. But, they weren't any dirtier than any other campground bathrooms and showers that I've ever been to. Another thing was that there were fewer people to worry about walking through your site and going though your stuff. I thought that was also a pro. Our site was very small, but we fit 2 tents (one a 6 person tent and one a 4 person tent) with 4 people on our site pretty well with room for chairs and a small Weber grill. Our 6 other friends rented the campsite right next to us and were able to put up 2 pretty large tents. As far as their tube rentals, I didn't see any problem with the service. We did the 6-8 hour float where they dropped us off at Lazy L&L and the exit point was literally on the BGG campgrounds. I thought that was pretty cool to get off the river 10 feet from my tent! We did have a slight problem with the electricity. It was just an extention cord with a 4 plug adapter on the end, which our high mantenance friends who brought a TV, and and a/c unit for each of their 2 tents blew the breaker on the first night. But no worries for us, we had a small fan and a generator! Which even on this particualr weekend where the temps were 102, the site was shady enough that it was a very comfortable temp at night and didn't really get full sun during the day either. It's in a valley, and our tent was only a couple feet from the riverbank so there was a pretty nice breeze, too. There was a bit of partying a little later than I wanted to hear from our next door neighbors, but you are camping. What do you expect? I would not recommend this as a family campsite,the atmosphere and landscape is not very kid friendly. But for a trip with adult friends I think it's a pretty damn good place. All in all, I say that if you are going to this place expecting a typical a campsite on the Guadalupe River, you won't be disappointed. But if you are expecting to be at a 4 star hotel, then maybe that's where you should go.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank MelanieV2010

Thanks for the feed back. Just a few notes. All of our electical sites require at least a 100' extension cord. We do not have electrical directly at the sites. No AC units are allowed. Either are generators. And yes this is mostly a adult camp we agree as well that this is camping not a four star hotel. Thanks again

Reviewed June 30, 2010

Stayed at Billy Goat's Gruff the weekend of June 11, 12, and 13th - it was the weekend right after the flood happened. Although there was devastation suffered, we didn't want to cancel our trip. There was six of us total and we stayed on a river front camp site. The onsite bar and food shack were a definite plus. Having access to hot food, beer, and ice was extremely convenient. Toobing was decently priced and we floated for five hours. The staff were all really friendly and the landscape was absolutely gorgeous. It was my first time to stay at Billy Goat's but I'll definitely camp with them next time I float the Guadalupe River.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank heatherkue09
goattx, Owner at Billy Goat's Gruff Campground, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2010

Thanks for the review!