“Memorial Day at Lazy L&L sucked this year”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Braunfels
Lazy L and L Campground and Store
Austin, TX
“Memorial Day at Lazy L&L sucked this year”
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I've been a frequent guest of the Lazy L and L campgrounds for the past several years. I've been camping every Memorial day weekend as well as several other weekends through the summer.

I have to say that after this past Memorial day, I will never give Lazy L and L another dime of my money.

First off: They changed their policies to where a pre-paid vehicle may only include two passengers. Additional passengers cost extra. Each paid vehicle used to include four passengers. I can understand charging per vehicle, as there simply is not enough room for everyone to bring their own vehicle. However what strikes me as ridiculous is the fact that any additional passengers present in the vehicle at check in are charged $5/night, but if I leave the campground to pick someone up, and return after check in with an additional person, that person is charged $15/night.

How do they know if you left and brought someone in? This brings me to my next point: They very tightly attach a wristband to each person's wrist in your vehicle, and force you and all of your guests to wear this tight/uncomfortable piece of plastic for the entire weekend. If you break it or lose it you have to pay for a replacement.

This year they bused you upstream rather than letting you float downstream (due to low river levels). The problem with this approach is that they were not smart enough to realize that they can't just keep busing people upstream without taking tubes with them. Bus after bus of unhappy customers were taken to the upstream drop off without tubes, only to get off the bus to see a huge crowd of angry people who had already been waiting for hours for tubes. Because they were bringing people much more quickly than tubes, the crowd just continue to get larger and more angry. There were no staff members from Lazy L & L on site to direct people to form a line. They simply sent guys with trucks full of tubes, and when the guy got out of the truck, he would be attacked by a mob of angry people. This guy had no way of knowing who was in line first, so he just starts passing out tubes to whoever pushed their way to the front.

To make matters worse, after we finally got on the water after over an hour of dealing with the tube madness, after only about an hour on the river, it starts to rain and storm with lightning. According to Lazy L & L's own policies, you are supposed to get out of the river immediately. A number of people did so at a neighboring campground. The staff of the neighbor campground called Lazy L & L and asked them to send a bus. The -owner- of Lazy L & L came to help, and started grabbing tubes from people, ripping them out of their hands and throwing them into a trailer. Typically when you rent a tube, you are given a slip of paper when you return it to allow you to get your deposit on the tube back. Anytime someone asked the owner about getting the ticket for their deposit, his response was "I don't F****** care how you get your deposit back." as he aggressively and angrily ripped the tubes out of their arms.

Finally, during our last evening at the campground, we were all sitting around the campfire laughing and enjoying ourselves. At around 11:20pm, a Jeep pulls into the campsite next to ours, and the owner of Lazy L & L jumps out, and begins shouting at us about our radio being too loud. We all looked at each other, rather confused, since our radio was set at a very low level, and we could not even hear it over the sound of the campfire. My girlfriend, in a very polite manner, said to him, "Sir, I think you might be hearing another radio besides ours". The owner storms over to her in a rather threatening manner, stands directly over her, and shouts at her "I didn't ask you a question! You need to turn the radio down, quiet time started 30 minutes ago!" At this point in the weekend we had no neighbors who could possibly hear our radio. Our neighbors had already left that day and we could barely hear the radio over the sound of the campfire.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank irwinr

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Wharton Texas
Reviewed August 18, 2008

My Family and I stayed at L&L on the 15th and 16th of August. The camp ground is very crowded and very dusty. The no dog policy is a joke. Dogs are ok. Quiet time is another joke. We tried to relax after a full day on the river but a large group across from us played their music very loud till 2am. Then people arguing after that. The next day another great day on the river but back at the camp ground again. No relaxing tonight, the music started up again but this time they had a DJ. Don't get me wrong I like to listen to music but I also like to sit around a camp fire and be able to talk to my family. The music was coming from a camp ground about fifty yards away and the music was like it was in a night club. No respect for other people. I called the L&L desk but nothing was done. We were tired because of two full days on the river but we knew we were not getting any sleep so we packed up and left at 9:30pm. The river at New Braunfels is great. There are alot of places to stay on the river. Lazy L&L is not a good place in my opinion. They seem to be motivated by money and greed only. This is camping and time with family and friends not a night club. VERY DUSTY !!!

• Liked — River location
  • Disliked — No rules, very dusty. Not a camp ground more like a night club.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank TexasSheriff
Allen, Tx
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Lazy L & L was perfect. Campground is on the river but has a beautiful view of the surrounding hills. The campground is literally above Devil's Playground (rapids) and has a great little area for swimming and playing in the rapids. When water flow is normal it is shallow enough for kids to play in.

Restrooms & showers are VERY clean for a campground. My wife even said how pleasantly surprised she was with the restrooms.

I read the TripAdvisor reviews and decided to go with Lazy L&L over KL Ranch. I am sure glad I did! KL is a nice campgrounds but as the reviews are correct that the campground is right by River Road.

Lazy L & L runs perpindicular to River Road as opposed to parallel like most campgrounds. This is a HUGE benefit because there is no noise from River Rd (very busy) or headlights.

Bring your own tubes and you can play in Devil's Playground when the water flow is not high.

Another perk of Lazy L & L is that the initial price is for a car of 4- most other campgrounds the price quoted is for 2 people. Staff was very friendly. General store did not gouge prices.

• Liked — Location Location Locatoin
  • Disliked — L&L's tube service doesn't go down as far as I would have hoped.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Lewisville, TX
Reviewed May 27, 2008

This is the second year in a row we have camped at Lazy L&L. We are tent campers and we camp with about 4 or 5 couples and their kids. Had a blast this year! Just like Last year. This place has a definite party atmosphere during memorial weekend. Always enough room. Well stocked store. Clean campground. Water/electric at every site. Many areas to access river. Love it.

• Liked — This is a campground. It was very nice. Considering it is a campground.
  • Disliked — Noise level not observed... but which didn't bother me but just letting readers know... party goes all night.
  • Stayed May 2008
#10 of 32 in New Braunfels
The Summit Vacation & RV Resort
The Summit Vacation & RV Resort
#23 of 30 in New Braunfels

Been to Lazy L and L Campground and Store? Share your experiences!