“Great family fun set in the scenic Hill Country” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Schlitterbahn New Braunfels Waterpark

Schlitterbahn New Braunfels Waterpark
More attraction details
Owner description: Our family-owned, family-friendly park offers FREE parking, FREE tubes, FREE lifejackets, and allows you to bring your own picnic (no glass or alcohol please). Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort in New Braunfels has over 3 miles of tubing adventures, 7 children’s water playgrounds,17 water slides, the world’s first surfing machine, and 3 uphill water coasters spread over 65 acres of fun!
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great family fun set in the scenic Hill Country”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

My family has gone to Schiltterbahn every year during the summer since I was a young girl. The park is much larger now than it was back then, but they have still maintained their respect for the natural area and rivers that surround it. The park is split into two sides, with a tram that will carry you from one side to the other easily. Both sides are equally enjoyable, and well worth exploring, so plan to stay for the whole day. Coolers are allowed, but are checked at the front gate thoroughly.There are several fantasy waterlands for young children, and lots of wading pools for parents to relax. Many of the slides require an innertube which is provided by the park at no extra cost. There are single rider slides, and tandem rider slides, there is even an up-hill waterslide. My favorites are the "lazy rivers" where a gentle current stream pushes you down several rapids until finally dumping you into the Comal river which surrounds the park. There are plenty of concessions, and places to sit. Lockers are provided for storing valuables. They even have cabins you can rent, and stay right on the park grounds, which entitles you to private use of the park during designated times of the day. Daily admission is a little pricey, but if you pack a picnic lunch, and take plenty to drink, you will save the difference. We have never had a bad experience here, the whole area is beautiful, and has so much to offer, it is our weekend getaway destination.

Visited July 2012

Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Long lines”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

The lines were so long that you could really only ride one ride in a day and the prices are outrageous because of that. Cheaper to go to Six Flags or SeaWorld.

1 Thank vgw0802
Plano, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Schlitterbahn visit with 3 kids under 2”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

we have 3 kids all under the age of 2. We have a 2 year old, a 10 month old, and a 2 weeks baby. All girls! however my boyfriend and i are 19, we thought this would be fun, and it was. my two year old, and 10 month old had a blast! I nurse the 10 month old and the 2 week baby, and i took off the 5th star cause there was no nursing place, other then that it was amazing!

Visited October 2012
Austin
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Nice place when it is not crowded”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

We visited Schilterbahn the second weekend of September (two adults and two kids, 6 and 3 years old). Due to some of the bad reviews, I went with very low expectations and I have to say we had a great time and we are looking forward to return next year. The park was not a full capacity and that helped a lot, we had a little trouble finding a kid's tube for my son but nothing too bad, beyond that we didn't have to wait long to get to most attractions. I can see this be a big trouble during summer vacation. The only rides with lines longer than 2 hours was the master blaster and the two rides besides. Since we decided to stay overnight, we rode those rides the following day. People that stay in the park resort has access one hour early, we could ride the wolf pack with no waiting at all, then we waited about 45 minutes for the master blaster and we rode the other ride (no remember the name) 3 times with with a wait less than 5 minutes. Just for this, it was worth to stay at the park (it also nice to need to drive back home after a long day at the park). We stayed at the resort near the original park, it looks a little old but still provide good accommodations and reasonable price. The only thing I didn't like much are: you need to take a shuttle for moving between the parks but we didn't have to wait much to ride the shuttle. My son and daughter really enjoyed the park and it was nice that my 3-years old son (which is a dare devil) was able to get to all attractions even the master blaster. My daughter was a little afraid at first but both enjoyed. We will return next year.

Visited September 2012
The Woodlands, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Summertime Getaway!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We're a family of 3, me, husband, and 7 year old daughter. We've lived in Texas several years, however, this past summer was the first time we had visited the waterpark. I personally am not a fan of these types of places, but it worked for the stage of life we are in. When we got there, I was pleasantly surprised. I have never experienced a waterpark nestled in the trees that makes use of the river water right beside it!

Just so you're aware, the park really is two parks for the price of one. We split our trip up into two visits, 1st day the old park (the one in the trees), took a day off in between and went and explored the Natural Bridge Cavern about a half hour away, then went back for more fun and went to the newer park - which is more typical of the waterparks you may have in mind, but still way above and beyond.

I was surprised how reasonable the tickets were priced for how nice the park(s) were. Also, the parking was free, as were the shuttles that ran between the two parks. Not only that, they allow you to bring your own cooler in, just get there early enough to stake your spot on one of the many picinic tables. They also rent lockers to store your valuables in. It's not too often these days that you can park free and bring your own food in - so truly, you can save loads of money with a little prep.

I think it's important to note that we went mid-August, during the week. So, the crowds were no where near as bad as we've heard they were prime-time summer. We did stand in line a very long time - over an hour on the second day for one of the popular water coasters, but found that if you wait til about 5p or so, the line was down to about 2 min's. So, if we go back, we'll go at the same time of year, and wait til' later in the evening for the longer wait rides.

What I liked best is that there was truly something there for everybody. The slides are great fun, and there are so many pools to choose from if you just want to relax. We were able to take breaks, sit in the shade and still be playing in the water.

I would say, if you're bringing kids, it's best if they are strong swimmers and not intimidated easily. Our daughter had no problem, but the rushing water, and the fact that you can't go down with your kid at the same exact time, might be a bit much for a weaker swimmer. That said, there a several life gaurds posted along the routes of the rides, so we found it to be quite safe.

Overally, it was very family friendly, if you can, go later in the year to miss the huge crowds, and if you want to save $, plan on bringing your own food/drink. Most of all - have a GREAT time!

Visited August 2012