“Great place to stay”

Continental Inn & Suites Nacogdoches
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Nacogdoches
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I have been staying on my call days which can be three to four times a month at the Continental Inn and Suites of Nacogdoches since 2009. And wanted to say if you every make a trip to the Oldest Town in Texas that this place to stay.

The rooms are clean and if you run into any problems the manager, Jay Petal and his staff will do their very best to get any problem solved. And last but not least is that the rates are great.

For me this is the place to stay so come on down and stay a while at the Continental Inn and Suites of Nacogdoches, Texas.

Phillip Vargas

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
ashabapu, General Manager at Continental Inn & Suites Nacogdoches, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

We really appreciate you been loyal guest for so long its been a great pleasure haveing you as a regular costomer. You are always welcome back in the future and we will do our best possible to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

First of all, I made reservations in January 2012 for SFA graduation weekend (May, 2012). I ended up here because it was all that was available in my price range. I was reserving 3 rooms (1 room with two queen beds for one night, 1 king for one night and 1 king for two nights). I was quoted $64.95 for each of the king rooms and $69.95 for the room with 2 queens.

On March 31, 2012 (definitely after there was ANY chance of finding other available hotel rooms) the Manager "Nita" called to verify my reservations and said the prices I was quoted were incorrect, and were quoted by an employee that is no longer there. The new prices were $69.95 for the king room (for 1 night), $64.95 for the king room (for 2 nights) and $79.04 for the room with two queen beds. I asked why the change, when I was quoted lower prices. She said that I was quoted regular rates - not rates for graduation weekend. I complained that it is now too late to get another hotel and she just said, "this is our rate - if you don't want the rooms, you can cancel the reservation." After complaining for awhile, she finally lowered the king room (for one night) to the same rate as the king room for two nights, but that's all she would do. Having no other option, I kept my reservation.

Upon check-in, the front desk person was very courteous. But, upon getting to our room, I was very disappointed. The room had the smell of urine - stronger in the bathroom, but also in the room. The carpet was so dirty that after my shower, my feet were so dirty before I went to bed that I had to go and re-wash them (yes, I forgot to bring any flip flops to wear in the room). The shower was broken and came on as soon as you turned on the water, plus the warm/cold was broken and the knob would just turn completely around and around. The bathroom door did not close properly AND the knob was attached so that the door locked from the outside!!

We tolerated it just because this was our only option, but I would never stay here again unless this was the ONLY hotel available.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
ashabapu, General Manager at Continental Inn & Suites Nacogdoches, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

Thank you for contacting continental inn & suites.I would like to apologize for the inconvenience during your stay with us. I appreciate you taking the time in advising us of your dissatisfaction.we pride in the providing good service and quality accommodations.we will make sure to correct any necessary changes.I hope you will give us another opportunity to correct the problem with your stay.

Reviewed October 19, 2010

i have staid at continental inn & suites about 2 years ago. i had experience decent stay. it was great according to the price of the room. Recently i have just staid here past month and it was totally different .. room was nice, roomy, clean and well decor. we loved the bed, it was round & comfortable. hot-tub was clean and in good working condition. didn't had to go anywhere for the dinner. restaurant was right there in the hotel parking lot. employee were friendly.. great customer service... over all we enjoyed our stay... we will recommend this place to our friends and family. we will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank ump83
Reviewed May 6, 2010

I advise you to stay anywhere else but here, it was horrible and several towels had pubic hair & Manager would do nothing when I told him; not even a sorry... Sheets had holes & room had a bad odor; remodeled is a lie!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2009

I am a student that had to go to SFA for an interview, i stayed at the continental inn and suites for a night. I liked the location of the property as it is centrally located to the university and all the food places. The front desk were great, they recommended several places where i could go to kill some time.

The rate is good comparing to other motel in the area, with a restaurant in the same parking lot. The rooms are nice, very cozy, clean, safe. They had the free internet, and a free breakfast.

It is a great value for the money, if i have to go back that is where i will be staying. I would recommend u to check it out.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 23, 2009

This is a tired motel. Our room was ok, but we worried that it might not be as clean as we would like. The bathroom sink looked like a bomb had gone off in it, the counter was worn, shower was ok, bare small energy bulb in the ceiling, door would not close and no vent. Ourside of the hotel was clean, staff was very nice and it was convenient to town and the college, but the rooms are definitely in need of major renovations. Not where I would want to stay again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 30, 2006

Continental Inn & Suites is under new management. During several visits to Nacogdoches, we observed work being done to the exterior of the motel as we drove by on our way to visit our son at SFA. Because of the renovations and the positive review posted here, we decided to book a weekend stay. The location is convenient to Stephen F Austin State University. The rate was only $45 a night including continental breakfast, which was not raised to capitalize on the Parent’s Weekend crowd expected in Nacogdoches. A new Mexican buffet is under construction and looks close to opening very soon in the shared parking lot. There are several other restaurants within walking distance, as well as a CVS.

Upon our arrival, the bright and attractive lobby was gleaming with new floor tile and fixtures, including a modest breakfast bar with the Texas shaped waffle iron. Check in was quick and efficient. Everything was in order. The young woman working at the registration desk was friendly, cheerfully handing over the extra towels we asked for.

Parking is convenient and close, right outside the room. The door opens to the parking lot. The room itself was fine, simple and basic. The walls were a bit aged and painted stark white with one painting behind the headboard. The furnishings looked fairly new and the bedding was clean, the bedspread recently updated. The mattress, as it turned out, was very comfortable. There was a mini fridge/microwave combo against one wall, a TV armoire/dresser at the foot of the king bed, a desk with mirror and a chair. No in room coffee maker, but coffee is offered in the motel lobby. No hairdryer and no iron are in the room so bring your own.

The bathroom area left much to be desired. The sink area was painted the same stark white, with white ceramic floor tile, where a grimy boot print appeared. The cultured marble sink was cracked with age and the vanity was stained with cigarette burns. There was no stopper in the sink. The sink and vanity did appear to have been cleaned, however.

The plywood door to the toilet and tub room was delaminating from prolonged exposure to moisture, dark wooden strips either hanging loose or missing altogether from the bottom white-painted door. There was considerable mildew in the cracks of the tub surround. Tiling was loose and the chrome fixtures were dark with age and water spots. The ceiling was cracked, the plaster loosened and stained from an apparent leak from the floor above. The porcelain toilet lid was cracked. The toilet bowl was scratched and rust-stained. There was an odor of urine.

After meeting our son for dinner, we stopped in the lobby to ask to be moved to another room, explaining the deplorable condition of the bathroom. The clerk was very apologetic and sympathetic. She explained that without a manager on the premises, she could do nothing. The rooms under renovation were not available. It being Parent’s Weekend at the university, they were full. The manager would be in after 11 PM. Noting the large “No Refunds” sign beside the register, we resigned ourselves to staying in the room since there were no other rooms available in the town due to Parent’s Weekend. The alternative was driving back to Dallas. I bought a can of Lysol spray air freshener to use in the bathroom.

Until the management completes renovations of the rooms up to the same high standard to which they have renovated the lobby, I would not recommend a room at Continental Inn and Suites, despite the low cost, free breakfast and convenient location. We’ll check again in the future because I believe the management is making an effort to improve the property. Between the age of the property itself and perhaps the problems common to many East Texas motels after last year’s hurricanes, they have quite a task ahead.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MTNestersFromNTx