“Great Meal-Good Price!”

Clear Springs Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 108 Restaurants in Nacogdoches
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Nested in the middle of the Piney Woods of East Texas, this Clear Springs location occupies what once was the first refrigerated warehouse West of the Mississippi River. Located next to a busy rail yard, this warehouse was ideal for getting food and supplies to people all over Texas and the United States. Stop in and see history on the walls and enjoy the Best Fried Catfish in Texas as voted by Texas Highways Magazine.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We eat here almost every weekend! The Onion Rings are super. My husband likes the chicken strip dinner (enough for two, really), and I usually eat one of their shrimp dinners. I especially like the shrimp brochette! Their salads are great too! Waitstaff is very friendly and attentive! Atmosphere is great! Go hungry because all of the meals are good-sized.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

I love eating at Clear Springs. My favorite meal is the Shrimp Trio. It comes with fried shrimp, grilled shrimp, and a shrimp brochette, along with dirty rice, green beans, cole slaw, and hush puppies. It is really a lot of great food. I wish that I was there right now. Maybe after Christmas.

Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

After a long trip on the hunt for some good food we ended up here---and we couldnt have found a better place!!! Great food and the waitress, Kelsey, was the best. So friendly and patient with the "newbies"... it was just a great experience!

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Clear Springs Restaurant has potential to be a great place to eat, but fell short due to cold food and over-battered, over cooked fish.

Now, the catfish itself (the meat) is good. Unfortunately, there is so much batter on it, that's all you taste is crunchy batter. They are not "filets" as advertised. They are more like quarter or half filets. What comes out on your plate, looks more like chicken strips from a fast-food burger chain. Any other place I've been to, a filet is half a fish. You see the catfish in the picture, right? Now, be informed that most of what you are looking at is just batter. About 1/4 of the inside is fish.

The catfish could be excellent, if they would lay off some of the batter to let you taste the fish. There is potential here. The fish was served hot, as well as the green beans I ordered.

The hush puppies were not only cold, but old and chewy. I ate one hush puppy, my wife also ate one, and the rest were left on our plates. My wife's fries could have been good, but were very cold and old. My onion rings could have been awesome, but they were not hot, just served at room temp. By the time I was eating the last one, the temp was such that they left a greasy film on the roof of my mouth.

The tartar sauce had the overpowering flavor of sweet pickle relish. You might as well open a jar of sweet pickle relish and dip your fish batter in that and eat it. We've never had anything like it.

The ranch dressing was passable. Not the best, but a bit bland.

The catfish/shrimp stuffed jalapeno appetizers were great. I liked them more than my wife, but we both agreed they were good, and the best thing that was served to us.

The service was very friendly.

The food portions were generous.

All in all, we would not go back. IMHO, catfish filets should be lightly dusted with fine ground cornmeal and fried in fresh oil (a la McGeehee's Catfish, in Marieta, Oklahoma). The catfish served here is choked in batter, and dark brown because it's been fried to death, leaving it hard and crunchy.

Our meals plus appetizer and one coke cost us over $40. Personally, with the type of quality food served, I would have valued our total meal cost at about half that price. If I lived here, I could see that this would probably be the best catfish around, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's great catfish.

1  Thank John and Desire... C
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Just what I wanted from an East Texas catfish place. Catfish and shrimp were very good, service was prompt and polite. Atmosphere was appropriate, clean and mostly comfortable.