Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Nacogdoches
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Nacogdoches
United States
“Average stay”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We travel a lot and are big fans of Holiday Inn Express and find it reliably consistent in a good way. This hotel was recently renovated and everything was new and clean but it fell short in a few areas which makes it "average" (3 stars) for us.

The good:

*Recently renovated

*Breakfast area was well stocked with the usual HIExpress food choices (a good thing) and the friendly attendant worked hard to keep everything replenished and tidy.

*We had a maintenance issue in our room (not a good thing), but the maintenance guy fixed it promptly and had such a helpful and friendly attitude, so overall, a good thing!

*Housekeeping staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful.

Now for the not-so-good. These things might not affect another guest's stay, but for us it did ...

*From check-in to check-out and every time in between, the front desk staff bordered on rude (with the exception of Hector). We didn't need much from the front desk folks, but we stayed 3 nights and had a few inquiries and each was met with a poor attitude. I don't know if they're unhappy in their jobs or just need customer service training but a little front desk friendliness would have gone a long way in changing our impression of this property.

*The "standard wifi" that the hotel provides is TOO SLOW! We even tried the business center to print out an email and never had success. The fastest connection speed we ever saw was .75 mbps and even that was not consistent. We gave up and instead used our own bandwith (Verizon hotspot).

*The rooms are renovated but there are a couple of design flaws that affected our stay. First is the closet. It has a very very short closet rod. We were there during cold weather and had two coats plus 4 days worth of clothes. We ended up draping things over chairs. And add to that, there are only TWO drawers for clothes. So two people, 4 days, clothes plus "stuff"... that was not enough storage.

We ended up checking out a day early and next time we're in the area, we'll try one of the other hotels.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SunDiego123
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Nacogdoches, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear SunDiego123,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I appreciate your good comments regarding our breakfast with many options and housekeeping staff be friendly and helpful. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us and is your stay was negatively affected by our internet connection and room condition. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
McAllen, Texas
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Spent two nights when visiting Stephen F. Austin State University. The hotel was very clean and the was greeted with great customer service at the front desk and the room was clean and very nice. The breakfast staff was very friendly and kept everything well stocked. Although this trip was solo, I have stayed at this hotel previously with my family and we have never had bad service from anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lennie N
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times since our son is going to Stephen F Austin. The checkin and checkout are super easy, people working there are friendly. Situated just a few minutes away from SFA. Breakfast is good, cookies are also a nice treat. The only thing I ever saw wrong with the hotel is that the tile & grout is coming off in the bathroom in every room we have ever rented. Doesn't affect the quality of the stay, of course. Beds are SUPER comfortable, and the shower is awesome.

Room Tip: Room 216 has an amazingly comfortable king size bed. So nice!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Nacogdoches, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel. I recently stayed there over night just to get away. And I was amazed. The staff was super friendly. But the most notable aspect was the most important, the room. The room was fantastic, large, in pristine condition, and quite welcoming. I slept like a baby. If you are in Nacogdoches and looking for a place to stay, I highly recommend holiday inn express. It was a nice stat anyone will enjoy.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Spent the night there for our child's orientation into Steven F. Austin University. The hotel is convenient, but nothing special. I found the rates to be about $105.00 per night, but we were charged $150.00. Next time we have to go to Nacogdoches, we'll look for a hotel that has a stable price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JPD302
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Nacogdoches, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear JPD302,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology for the confusion surrounding your reservation. Rest assured, this will be looked into and be addressed accordingly. I appreciate your feedback and hope that you will give us the pleasure of hosting you again on your next visit.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Vinton, Louisiana, USA
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

2 night stay on business.
When I arrived, checked in early. Check in was smooth, good customer service. Lobby, halls, and public restroom looked & smelled very clean. Signs all over the hotel stating Hotel was currently being remodeled, I didnt see the work.
My room was on the 3rd floor facing the rear of the hotel, overlooking pool. Room was clean and spacious. Bed was very comfortable. Bathroom clean and well stocked. Bottom of bathtub had chip marks and plaster, although it was an eyesore, it didn't bother me. Although I was on the top floor, shower water preesure was decent. I forgot my comb so I followed instructions on the sign in the bathroom directing me to contact the front desk and they would provide me with a complimentary comb. The front desk infomed me they didnt have one. Guess alot of us forgot combs that day.
Hotel was quiet although it was full teenage softball girls there for a SFA camp, well behaved or wore out by SFA coaches.
Breakfast was decent, premade cheese omelet, biscuit, sausage gravy, ham, cinnamon rolls, auto pancake maker. No waffle maker.
If you look out the back of the hotel you will see a deer feeder. Early in the morning or late in the evening you can see deer roaming around.
Overall I enjoyed the stay. One of the better Holiday Inns I have stayed at . I will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Outstanding service! I was in town for a business trip, and having never been there before, I was unfamiliar with the local area. The hotel staff were very helpful, and to my delight, they actually knew physical addresses - and gave accurate directions - to various local venues.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business