“This sounded like an ideal place to visit and it was....”

Shelley's Bakery Cafe
Ranked #11 of 100 Restaurants in Nacogdoches
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Bay City, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,383 helpful votes
“This sounded like an ideal place to visit and it was....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I was looking for something different, as far as dining, in Nacogdoches, to have a memorable meal at-be it lunch, dinner, or even a snack. I found this place on the internet and I am so glad we were able to visit. It was our last day in Nacogdoches and they have quite limited hours, so we got there a bit early so we could be sure and get a table. However, we had no problem getting a table and we chose to sit outside on a rather chilly, but sunny day. It was very pleasant.

Gladys was our server. She was awesome! We enjoyed talking to her. I had their Chicken Pesto Specialty Sandwich-with roasted red peppers, basil pesto and mozzarella. I had one of their excellent salads and soups. The DH had: Savory quiche tart made with local free range
organic eggs and fresh cream. He also had one of their salads and soup. A family member had another sandwich and she was not real pleased, but I think it was simply her taste in food, not the restaurants ingredients in the sandwich. All of was very good in our book!

Dessert? Oh my. That was a difficult choice. We purchased several bakery items to choose from-one delectable to the next-we must have stood there 20 minutes trying to decide. We bought several items to take on the road with us-what a great decision!

Prices are a tad high, but oh so worth it, we feel. The place is very cute, tables are small and somewhat close together. Service was excellent. A real find for Nacogdoches! Bathrooms good. Parking-eh-the one negative. You have to park down the street in a gravel lot-but it is a short walk. The curbs are very high on this side street, so be sure and get up on the sidewalk at the end of the street if you have difficulty with stepping up high curbs.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank tymetraveler222

Texas
“Special place in downtown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

While shopping the downtown red brick streets or taking in the Cole Art Center, make time for lunch or just a snack at this delightful cafe. Good selection of soups, sandwiches, sweets, and daily specials. It can be a bit noisy during noon hour and a reservation is recommended if you bring a group.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Rebecca H
Garrison Texas
“Lunch With My Sister”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

My sister first took me to Shelley's. Their food is excellent. I usually get the Santa Fe. Their sandwiches and salad are so fresh. I love the brocolli slaw.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Jeri Lynn W
Red Oak, Texas
“Saturday lunch when driving through town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

My family stopped today for lunch about 11:15 AM. We did call ahead (about 45 minutes) and they were able to seat us at a table inside. Our waitress, Addison?, was excellent. We were older people than the average (94, 69, 62, 58). We found the entrance on Church St impossible to surmont the curb, and had to walk halfway down the block where the curb was more reasonable and then walk back. Later discovered the rear entrance to be much easier to enter. I ordered avocado B.L.T. and potato leek soup. The soup was excellent, but I did find any avocado in the sandwich (I was disappointed at that). Another of our group mentioned lack of pimento in the pimento cheese. One other also rated the potato soup very highly.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank cneeljr
USA
“Call ahead!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

The only disadvantage of Shelley's: everyone wants to eat there! Be sure to call ahead to be sure you can get in. Very popular with the ladies-who-lunch brigade. Good-priced food, served hot, fresh and with a smile.

Visited August 2012