“OK - maybe…”

La Carreta
Ranked #37 of 108 Restaurants in Nacogdoches
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The atmosphere and service La Carreta would get 4 + stars alone. The bare concrete floors and rustic setting with the murals, etc. were good. Our waiter was very nice and helpful. Our service was very good.
If I were to rate the food alone, they would get a low 3 or 2 stars.
The best I can describe it was average. The salsa was pretty good and did have a fresh taste. My tortilla soup was pretty good but the taco that came with it needed some help. The queso had a strange taste. My wife’s burrito was not tasty and the rice was actually cold.
Perhaps the local community may prefer a less-spicy version of Tex-Mex than Houston. If that is the case, I would understand the difference. I learned my lesson on that several years back when eating Mexican food in the Midwest (never again). I have actually had better flavor from a regional chain restaurant in Houston than what we experienced at La Carreta.

Reviewed June 7, 2011

This was my second time at this restaurant. The first time was about 10 years ago. After a graduation ceremony in Nacogdoches my family and I went to eat here, and NO LIE, while sitting in the booth eating, a massive cockroach climbed up my dad's back! Completely embarrassing (because people at my table screamed) and disgusting! So...fast forward 10 years later and we give this place another shot, thanks to TRIP ADVISORS reviews. No cockroaches this time, thank God, but we had the worst service of any restaurant I've ever been too. And I've had some bad waitors in my day. The guy took our order and gave us drinks ONE TIME and that was the last we saw of him. Our mouths were on fire! We even called him over to the table and begged him to bring us water and he just went back to helping a large table next to us. And NEVER once came back. We finally had to get up and go ask another guy to help us. It was bad. I told my family to get a real good look at the place because that was the LAST time we will ever go there. And why it's rated number one in Nac. I have no idea. The food is not even that good. Or maybe it was that my mouth was on fire and I couldn't taste the food, who knows.

Reviewed December 16, 2010

I went there with mom and dad. I like the ice cream maker, fresh tortilla window, ambience, and food!

Reviewed November 17, 2010

Visited La Carreta for lunch. The food is great and the staff is incredible.
Home made tortilla chips and salsa are very good
The portions are HUGE, come in very hungry.

Reviewed November 14, 2010

This is where I take all my friends who visit. I've been to tons of Mexican restaurants but this is by far my favourite. All the dishes I've tried have been consistently delicious, which is really important. They make their totilla and chips right in the restaurant so they are always fresh and homemade. Yum!