“New Years Eve Dinner”

Ranked #3 of 7 Nacogdoches B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“New Years Eve Dinner”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I visited Pine Creek for two events recently, a wedding reception and a formal dinner. In both cases the wait staff were plentiful and helpful and the food superb. The wedding reception featured cheese and fruit trays which were plentiful and tasty, I think the cakes were from other vendors and they were wonderful as well.

The new years eve sit down dinner was extremely well done. Comments from my dinner companions were that the spinach salad and steak were the best they had ever eaten. The steak was top notch and was about the most tender piece of meat I had ever encountered.

Great food and great service. The Pine Creek really delivered.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Clifton, Texas
Reviewed November 11, 2012

As soon as my husband and I got into the room I felt like I was in a hotel. It was VERY bland. Not to mention a weird odor. I finally realized the smell was cat pee. We went to the front desk adn kindly said something about the smell. The lady was adiment that there had never been a cat in that room. She was just kind of rude and snappy about it. I felt like they could have been delt with a little more kindness on their part. Not to mention the 20+ stray cats they had hanging around the lodge. The hot tub didn't work and was just warm. Our "cabin" was a duplex. Privacy was minimal. We've had better experiences in hotels for LESS money. WE WILL NOT be returning or recomending it to ANYONE!!!

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank lulueby
Hurst, Texas
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed in Cottage 18, which is away from the main compound. If you are looking for privacy and still have a really nice place to stay, this is it. The gas fireplace was wonderful...wish it had been cold enough for us to really use it. The 4 poster bed was very comfortable and the Heart Shaped tub was...well...figure it out. If we are in the area, we'll stay here again. The location is a bit off the beaten path, but again, if privacy is your thing, this is the place.

Oh...and breakfast was wonderful. We got the full breakfast on a Tuesday because there was group staying in the main area. Otherwise, you'd get a continental breakfast.

Room Tip: Cottages 17 and 18 are away from the main compound.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David76054
Texas
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The rooms are great. Comfortable and clean. The big room we all used had enough room for all of us to sew, cut, and help each other (quilt retreat). The food is fantastic. Always eat too much. Being out in the country, it is quiet and relaxing for us all. Just don't expect to use your cell phone. You can place your calls from you room.

Room Tip: Only had rooms out past the main building but everything is good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Lufkin, Texas
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 3-day retreat with our Quilt Guild at the Inn. We had a wonderful time in a lovely setting. Our room (#7) was large and comfortable with a privite balcony complete with a platform swing for morning coffee. Breakfast was a treat each morning and the three dinners we ate were delicious. The bread served was really yummy! Desserts were amazing. Everyone at the inn was so very nice and helpful. Kind hearts and gentle souls run this place and it shows. The Quilt guild has already reserved our rooms for next year.
P.S. There were NOT hundreds of cats as one reviewer said. There are cats but they don't really mix with guests. There is a wonderful old dog who greets guests and then goes back to sleep. We have been holding our quilt retreat here for years and ALL of us commented on how many improvements have been made to the place and how much we enjoy our time there.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #7 this time. But we have stayed in several others and liked them too.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My Zip-Nac zip line tour was cancelled due to weather...Pine Creek Country Inn would not allow me to reschedule my stay for another weekend...charged full price of 2 rooms I had reserved. I can understand if I just cancelled all together...but I wanted to move the reservation, not cancel...they were not flexible one bit. I won't be staying there when I do go back for my Zip-Nac tour...or ever!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank westpac55
Pine_Creek_Owner, Owner at Pine Creek Country Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
I am sorry you feel that you will never stay with us as you stated. I do apologize that your event was cancelled, but just as any hotel with a Cancellation Policy, there can be no exceptions. As for that specific weekend, we were entirely booked. As potential guests called to inquire on making reservations for the 2 weeks prior, we informed them we were booked and inturn they went somewhere else. When you CANCELLED, not re-scheduled, I had no choice but to enforce this 48 Hour Cancellation Policy. That was lost revenue for us and I could not have re-booked both rooms in a 12 hour period. We are a small family business, not a corporate chain, so every booked room is important to us.
Again, I am sorry you missed out on your event as well as feel negative towards us when we were simply enforcing a policy that every other hotel nationwide enforces.
Trophy Club, TX
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have gone to the Pine Creek Lodge, now the Pine Creek Country Inn, for the past 12 years for various retreats. I fell in love with the place as a student at Stephen F. Austin when my sorority would hold retreats on the property. As an alumni, my sorority sisters and I went back once per year for a girls' weekend and had a wonderful time. The last time we went was in 2009, so when I was presented the opportunity to visit the property with my family this past weekend, I jumped at the chance. I could not wait to share the Pine Creek Lodge experience with my 3 boys and my husband! Unfortunately, the new owners of Pine Creek Country Inn have turned a place I once loved into a place I will never return.

My main problem with this establishment, other than the incredibly rude owners, is the fact that they nickel and dime you at every turn. When we arrived at the facility, I learned that I had to pay $10 extra per child. I was fine with this because the owner explained that the extra cost went toward their breakfast. However, breakfast was never delivered and I was told that since she only actually charged me $5 per child, I came out ahead. Furthermore, we had expected to be able to eat the 14oz ribeye that night for dinner, as was the advertised special, only to learn that they only buy enough steaks to accommodate those with reservations. Nowhere on the website does it say that you have to have a reservation for the steak or we would have made one.

The next night, we decided to try the sax on the deck advertised on their website. So, we made our way to the main lodge, sat down, ordered our drinks and asked when the sax player would begin. Our waitress informed us that they had discontinued the sax on the deck because it was too hot and that she had no idea when it was to resume. Since we were already at the restaurant, we decided to stay and have dinner. Big mistake. The service was incredibly slow...20 minutes to bring our drinks out from the time we placed our order to the time it showed up, and we had to ask for bread 4 times before they brought any out...and they charged us a $5 surcharge for sharing a meal on top of everything else! Maybe I'm just cheap, but when I'm paying $26 for a steak, I do not expect to be charged extra for wanting to share. When we got our bill, I was shocked to find out that the refills for our cokes were $1.50 each. Who charges for refills?

If you do decide to visit the Pine Creek Country Inn, beware of the charges. You will be nickel and dimed at every turn.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family