“The Most Fun I have ever had”

Saint Francis Wolf Sanctuary
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Montgomery
More attraction details
Owner description: ALL VISITS REQUIRE AN APPOINTMENT. Please contact the sanctuary for scheduling. Saint Francis Wolf Sanctuary is dedicated to rescuing and caring for non-releasable wolves and wolfdogs, providing them with a stable, loving, and exceptional home, with an abundance of loving and compassionate care. We provide all of our animals with regular, balanced, nutritious meals; exceptional veterinary care; safe and comfortable sources of shelter; frequent enrichment; and, when appropriate, human or canine companionship. We do not buy, sell, or breed any animals. We also support educating the public about issues involving wolves and wolfdogs, and dispelling the many myths that surround these frequently misunderstood animals. Through guided on-site tours, visits from ambassador wolfdogs, off-site presentations, and other outreach avenues, we provide accurate, engaging information about wolves and wolfdogs, conservation issues, and the downsides of exotic pets.
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

So my wife and I decided to stop today and was blown away. We thought you just looked at the wolves but no you can even interact with them. Some of the stories were sad but the care they take for them is incredible! Jean was so nice as was everyone their. I just wish I didn't live so far away or I would volunteer. If your thinking about stopping or want a story you'll never forget I highly recommend this place.

2  Thank BrianY246

Reviewed February 10, 2013

One of our motorcycle club members found this place as a place to visit. We had a group of almost 15 that accompanied us to the sanctuary. It is a little off the beaten path, in between Montgomery and Dobbin. However upon arriving and taking the tour, the travel is definitely worth it. The tour is not only informative but the Wolves are simply incredible. They do have some that can be approached while some others you are warned upfront not to get too close to their enclosure. Our group is still talking about this adventure, many months later.

2  Thank Scott G
Reviewed December 12, 2012

On a business trip with extra time, my husband and I called ahead and arrived just before feeding time. We were blessed to have a personal tour by the owner/benefactor Jean Le Fevre who is an amazing 82 years young, working every day and inspiring/teaching wonderful volunteers that share her love of these beautiful but incredibly maligned spiritual beings. My first surprise was how very clean the entire area was. There were no unpleasant odors and each wolf or pair of wolves had their own large enclosure. These wolves, rescued from the ignorant cruelty of humans, are no longer able to have their freedom but they have responded to the outpouring of love and generousity. We were able to interact with Tracker who readily invited my husband to tickle his belly. What a joyful experience and generous gift to the public. Plan on returning in 2013. 2nd best experience-listening to them "sing" at sunset-WOW!

2  Thank Cheryl F
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I love visiting sanctuaries because really caring people work there and you can see where you donations are going. This place was off in the back of a house in the woods. There is not ample parking at all, which is why you have to call ahead to make an appointment to go. The gift shop is extremely small but there are souvenirs available. The wolf that they brought out for us to pet was more of a lazy dog than a wolf, but I didn't have a problem with that because I know that all of their animals are wild and they prefer to keep the sanctuary safe. The guide was extremely knowledgeable. What I didn't like was that the wolves were so far away. I have been to the tiger sanctuary and I consider those animals to be more ferocious and we were able to get closer to them than we were the wolves. We were really looking off into a distance.

1  Thank tireddriver
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Amazing to see the wolves in such proximity. This place often hosts an "open house" or something as a fundraiser. Private tours are also available by appointment. The staff and caretakers are genuinely insightful of the breed and species. The animals are well cared for, healthy and clean. You can even touch a wolf!! A good place to visit for kids and animal lovers. Ms Jean who owns the property is a pleasant old lady, much loved by everyone there. Oh and she has 2 of the wolves within the home as pets!

1  Thank La P