I have stayed at many luxury hotels for business and for pleasure, but none as "well-rounded" as La Torretta Del Lago. I could see myself returning for a girl's weekend, a romantic getaway, an active family vacation or a business meeting. Most resorts do one or two things well, but La Torretta Del Lago seems to have all bases covered. I can't wait to go back with the hubby and kids to do all the things I missed.
The lobby is airy and clean, and the man who checked me in was extremely nice (and quick!) The most fabulous surprise was my room, which was completely incredible -- a beautifully-appointed and roomy living room, bathroom, bedroom, all deocrated in rich browns and sea-foam blue, with a balcony overlooking Lake Conroe. Most of the furniture, artwork, and fixtures were unique and modern, possibly custom, all very stunning. There were many indulgences that made it seem extra-special: spa toiletries, plush bathrobes, slippers, raised sculpted double sinks, a glassed-in toilet area, candy and a note on the bedside table every night, a very roomy shower, etc. Nice security too. You have to use your key to get into the hallways on each floor.
The highlight of my stay was dinner at Chez Roux. The food was exquisite, and the view even better. I was thinking how perfect it would be for a wedding rehearsal dinner or celebration of some sort, both because of the food and service but mainly because of the lake-front location. If you are going to make reservations, ask for a table on the deck (which we did not think to do.) We also noticed a large table adjacent to the kitchen (almost IN the kitchen,) which would be very entertaining if you had a large party of foodies. Food highlights from our table: fresh fish of all kinds, corn pudding, and the after-dinner cheese tray (to die for!) and sorbet cart. We also ate at Yoi (sushi), Prime, and the poolside cabana (which served the best turkey burger I've ever eaten in my life.) Room service was THE BEST -- they even called after delivery to see if I needed anything else.
The water park was really neat, and all I could think of was my 3 year old running around in all the fountains. I didn't have a chance to float the huge lazy river, but it looked like so much fun! The lounge chairs at the adult pool sit in the water's edge, and there is a second tier to the pool if you want to "get away" from everyone else. The place was huge, so it seemed very uncrowded and not noisy like you would expect.
I went out on a limb and tried one of the specialties of the spa, the Hawaiian "Lomi Lomi" massage, which I really enjoyed. The facial was great too. Make sure you allow extra time to take advantage of the free spa amenities (Hamam - steam room, watsu pool, and floatation pool.) I found out about these amenities after I had gotten dressed, so I didn't actually get to partake. So far, this spa is tied for 1st place on my list, and I will be going back.
The only thing that could be improved is the landscaping -- it was pretty scorched (I think due to the drought they've been having and the desert weather.) I don't really understand all the other reviewers' comments about the price. Yes it's expensive, but no more so than any other luxury resort I've stayed at. Plus you don't have to leave the resort and spend additional money to keep everyone entertained. There are tons of activities, and a lot of them are free if you're a guest of the hotel. I'm telling you, the water park alone is worth it!
I believe there is also a kids camp, golf course, mini-golf course, water sports and a night-club which we didn't get to explore. I want to go back and do all this, but seriously, I would be happy as a clam just nestling down in that room with a book and the flat-screen remote -- the room is THAT GOOD!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Designed as the perfect retreat for a team building experience or a family getaway, La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa is an escape destination located on beautiful Lake Conroe an easy hour north of downtown Houston that provides the ideal setting for highly productive business functions, extraordinary social gatherings, rejuvenating family vacations, and romantic couples getaways. La Torretta is an easy getaway – a place to go for a great meal, a workout, a round of golf, or for some pampering at the Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Torretta Lake Resort And Spa, Lake Conroe, Texas
- La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa, Lake Conroe, Texas Hotel Montgomery
- La Torretta Del Lago Hotel
- La Torretta Del Lago Resort