“Luxury All Around”

La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I have stayed at many luxury hotels for business and for pleasure, but none as "well-rounded" as La Torretta Del Lago. I could see myself returning for a girl's weekend, a romantic getaway, an active family vacation or a business meeting. Most resorts do one or two things well, but La Torretta Del Lago seems to have all bases covered. I can't wait to go back with the hubby and kids to do all the things I missed.

The lobby is airy and clean, and the man who checked me in was extremely nice (and quick!) The most fabulous surprise was my room, which was completely incredible -- a beautifully-appointed and roomy living room, bathroom, bedroom, all deocrated in rich browns and sea-foam blue, with a balcony overlooking Lake Conroe. Most of the furniture, artwork, and fixtures were unique and modern, possibly custom, all very stunning. There were many indulgences that made it seem extra-special: spa toiletries, plush bathrobes, slippers, raised sculpted double sinks, a glassed-in toilet area, candy and a note on the bedside table every night, a very roomy shower, etc. Nice security too. You have to use your key to get into the hallways on each floor.

The highlight of my stay was dinner at Chez Roux. The food was exquisite, and the view even better. I was thinking how perfect it would be for a wedding rehearsal dinner or celebration of some sort, both because of the food and service but mainly because of the lake-front location. If you are going to make reservations, ask for a table on the deck (which we did not think to do.) We also noticed a large table adjacent to the kitchen (almost IN the kitchen,) which would be very entertaining if you had a large party of foodies. Food highlights from our table: fresh fish of all kinds, corn pudding, and the after-dinner cheese tray (to die for!) and sorbet cart. We also ate at Yoi (sushi), Prime, and the poolside cabana (which served the best turkey burger I've ever eaten in my life.) Room service was THE BEST -- they even called after delivery to see if I needed anything else.

The water park was really neat, and all I could think of was my 3 year old running around in all the fountains. I didn't have a chance to float the huge lazy river, but it looked like so much fun! The lounge chairs at the adult pool sit in the water's edge, and there is a second tier to the pool if you want to "get away" from everyone else. The place was huge, so it seemed very uncrowded and not noisy like you would expect.

I went out on a limb and tried one of the specialties of the spa, the Hawaiian "Lomi Lomi" massage, which I really enjoyed. The facial was great too. Make sure you allow extra time to take advantage of the free spa amenities (Hamam - steam room, watsu pool, and floatation pool.) I found out about these amenities after I had gotten dressed, so I didn't actually get to partake. So far, this spa is tied for 1st place on my list, and I will be going back.

The only thing that could be improved is the landscaping -- it was pretty scorched (I think due to the drought they've been having and the desert weather.) I don't really understand all the other reviewers' comments about the price. Yes it's expensive, but no more so than any other luxury resort I've stayed at. Plus you don't have to leave the resort and spend additional money to keep everyone entertained. There are tons of activities, and a lot of them are free if you're a guest of the hotel. I'm telling you, the water park alone is worth it!

I believe there is also a kids camp, golf course, mini-golf course, water sports and a night-club which we didn't get to explore. I want to go back and do all this, but seriously, I would be happy as a clam just nestling down in that room with a book and the flat-screen remote -- the room is THAT GOOD!

1  Thank MButters
LaTorrettaDelLago1, Management at La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience at La Torretta Del Lago Resort & Spa. It was our pleasure serving you. We hope to welcome you, along with your three-year-old, back to the property for a relaxing visit very soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,399)

Reviewed July 12, 2009

After hearing mixed reviews from friends we decided to give La Torretta Del Lago a shot since it is only an hour away. I will start with the postivie. The hotel itself is beautiful inside and the rooms are fabulous. Very spacious rooms especially when you are traveling with small children. The beds are extremely comfortable, clean and the bathrooms are gorgeous. Everyone at the resort was very friendly and were helpful with small children especially in the ice cream shop. My children loved both the splash pads that were available as well as the trampoline in the lake and beach area. The hotel provides sand toys for the kids which is a plus because many do not. The two large slides were a blast for my 5 yr. old as well as myself. A child should not go down if they are not a strong swimmer because the current is quite strong. We were able to fish right off the marina but didn't catch anything. It was also very easy for family members to pick us up at the marina. We only ate in the main dining room once for breakfast and while it was quite good, the didn't even had glasses for kids with lids on them.

Now for the negatives. There is absolutely no shade on the property. No umbrellas by the pool or shade canopies in the children's area. The landscaping also needs some work. I realize that we are in a drought so I am hoping that is why the flowerbeads were overgrown with weeds and dead plants. My main frustration was that we were not able to use our balcony due to safety issues. My two children 5 1/2 and 2 1/2 were able to stick there whole heads and shoulders through the railings and we were on the 13th floor. I do not know how this could have passed building codes. This could be a very dangerous situation of children are not properly supervised. We ate lunch at the pool while we were there. The food was good but much more expensive than other resorts in Texas. The children's menu is extremely limited which was shocking since this is supposed to be a family resort. This is the first resort that I have been to where you have to call room service for a bucket of ice. That was quite a pain. There was also a pool party while were there with music so loud that our children could not sleep and we had to leave the pool area because of the intoxicated people. This is not appropriate for a family resort. At 11 the next morning there was still trash laying around and beer cans. We also came across a employee sleeping in his chair while he was supposed to be watching the childrens splash pad.

I will say that if this resort wants to compete with other resorts in Texas they really need to address these issues. The potential is there for this to become a fabulous weekend getaway.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at La Torretta Del Lago Resort & Spa. Please know that we take the safety and security of our guests very seriously, and your concerns about the safety of our balconies are of the utmost importance to us.
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our spacious all-suite guest accommodations and the friendly service provided by our team. We hope to welcome you back to enjoy Aqua Park again with your family as the landscaping improves and the weather becomes less oppressive. We are looking into the purchase of additional umbrellas for the pool.
Please also note that we are constantly evaluating our food pricing to make sure they are in line with our competitive set.
We sincerely appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you and your family back soon, so that you may see our improvements first hand.

Reviewed June 30, 2009

PROS:

1) Hotel is extremely clean and staff is willing to go above and beyond to accommodate.

2) Hotel has a nice scent to it and the rooms are very modern and beautiful.

3) Bedding is very cozy and of good quality.

4) Pools are well kept and fun for all ages.

5) Rooms are comfy and I especially like the big shower with great water pressure.

6) Views of the lake are awesome.

7) There is a coffee shop on site should you choose not to spend $22 pp on the buffet breakfast. I felt the prices are very reasonable and they also offer kolaches, breakfast tacos, ice-cream and sandwiches and the barista makes a great Latte!

8) The staff at the pool is very professional and quick.

9) Children’s play area is really fun for the children although I would suggest that the resort reset the timer on the bucket which spills over onto the play area. I counted 45 seconds between spills. I watched the smaller children hurt them selves because they were afraid the bucket would spill on them. I would suggest the spill be every 5 minutes as opposed to every 45 seconds to allow time for the little ones to go down the slides.

10) The resort provides shovels and buckets for the children to play with at the beach area which is very nice.

11) Very nice plush pool towels. Better than other local resorts.

CONS:

1) Spa is WAY over priced. $60 for a pedicure?

2) Minimal landscaping however I do believe there will be much more landscaping by the end of July.

3) Valet is mandatory and they park your vehicle 1.5 miles from hotel in a gravel parking lot. It can take up to 30 minutes to get your vehicle during peek times. Vehicle will be filthy upon arrival.

4) The restaurant Prime is extremely overpriced with poor variety. The resort should take some lessons from The Woodlands Conference Center & Resort on a buffet breakfast and lunch.

5) Mini-bar has sensors under each item in the fridge. If you move an item you’re automatically charged thus making the check-out process very timely as you protest charges.

6) When I was there the resort was at capacity. We waited 8 minutes for an elevator to find it was full and had to wait another 6 minutes for the next. 14 minutes total to get from the 20th floor to the lobby.

7) Drinks are WAY overpriced.

8) Suites do not have couches with pull out beds. If you have children you have to request a roll-a-way bed and you must request one at check-in as they are very limited.

My final thought on the resort are this…

La Torretta Del Lago has GREAT potential. Once management acknowledges and rectifies the problem areas this resort will be of a higher caliber. Having said this, I feel that during this transition period the prices of rooms, drinks, food and spa should be lowered to a more affordable rate. People are simply not happy paying Four Season’s prices when they are not staying at the Four Season’s. I am however really looking forward to bringing my family next summer to see all the new improvements and enjoy the water park once again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank srlaries

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at La Torretta Del Lago Resort & Spa. It was our pleasure serving you.
We’re thrilled to hear that your family was able to enjoy many of our amenities including the 3.5-acre Aqua Park and luxury accommodations.
That said, we also appreciate your feedback and are always looking for opportunities to improve the service we offer our guests—including streamlining our valet process and enhancing landscaping throughout the resort. Our grounds team is working diligently to maintain and develop our plants and flowers, although the hot Texas summers aren’t making this job easy! We’ve also expanded our valet staff to help ease vehicle wait times.
Unfortunately, the resort is simply not equipped for a self-park option, but we are working on a partnership with a nearby car detailing service to help make certain visitors return home in a dust free car. In doing so, we hope to soon provide complimentary car wash vouchers to guests upon their departure.
We are very happy that you plan on returning with your family next summer and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed June 29, 2009

I recently stayed for a conference and right off the bat, it's valet-mandatory but you could request for your car at any time. Unfortunately, when they did bring my car, it was boiling hot inside and extremely dusty which meant that their "parking" was probably outdoors and over dirt or gravel. Needless to say, my car desperately needed a carwash after my stay at this hotel.

The Tower hotel rooms were very nice and clean. In my room, however, our refrigerator was not working. Even after complaining to the bellhop and the front desk, my refrigerator remained inoperable the 3 days I stayed there. This wouldn't have been a big deal if they had an ice machine available on each floor- but they didn't. You had to call room service for someone to bring ice to your room which of course meant that you had to tip whoever brought it to you. This was quite an inconvenience!

Now, the worst thing that could have happened was when I was checking out. Being 5 months pregnant, I requested a bellhop to assist me with my luggage downstairs. I waited for about 20 minutes, only to receive a call from the front desk that they were short-handed and that if I wanted to bellhop, I would have to wait another 30 minutes...OR I could get the luggage cart myself front downstairs. So I had to go downstairs, get the luggage cart myself and load it all by myself. Fortunately, the lady at the valet was nice to enough to help me load the luggage into my car.

Oh, by the way- everything is overpriced. Two burgers, two fries and two drinks will cost you about $45.00. If only my car were readily available so that I could go get food at a reasonable price!

The only nice things about this hotel were the rooms and the pool area. But the cons completely outweigh the good and I unfortunately would not recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business

Thank you for telling us about your recent experience at La Torretta Del Lago Resort & Spa. It was our pleasure serving you.
That said, we are disappointed to hear that not all of your time at the property was a perfect one. Please know that we take your feedback to heart and are constantly looking for opportunities to improve our service.
We sincerely appreciate your feedback and hope you will give us another opportunity to earn your business in the future.

Reviewed June 12, 2009

We stayed at the Tower Suites.

Liked:
- hotel looks very impressive & elegant upon entering lobby area; very airy & bright
- has a side room in lobby for internet users
- nice pool facilities

Disliked:
- forced valet parking, and had to pay for this service as well
- charged for items at mini-bar when we consumed none. Note: if remove item for more than 45 seconds, auto charged to your room. An inconvenience to have to get charges removed.
- a $15 resort fee for "complimentary" coffee in room, use of internet, pool facilities & beach towels. This fee is on top of room rate & not mentioned on their website. We became aware of it when checking out & paying the bill; and that's what we were told the fee was for. They should at least state this fee on their website. The San Luis Resort Hotel in Galveston offers all of these amenities (+ free bottled water) and they do not charge extra. So we were quite surprised at this; this is the first time we've been charged a fee for these types of amenities.
- only 2 food places were open during our stay. We had dinner at the sports bar by conference center; food was average and very overpriced ($10 for mini-portion of kid's speghetti!) The prices at coffee/dessert place were reasonable, but my husband couldn't get his muffin heated because their microwave was broken, so he had to eat it refrigerator cold. The lady was nice to give me a free refill on my coffee, which she implied they normally don't do.
- the spa services extremely overpriced! Some of services were more expensive than some of the Las Vegas luxury hotels that we've been to! I was really flabbergasted. We don't know the quality of the service since we decided not to pay the overinflated prices.

The stay overall was okay, but I just didn't like the fact that they seem to charge for every little item, & overcharge at that. Because of this, I doubt we will stay here again. It just seems like they take advantage of the guest by charging for every single amenity.

I also called to inquire about the bigger suites 1008SF to 1800SF, and the prices for those range from $1500 - $2500 per night!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at La Torretta Del Lago Resort & Spa. We hold our guest’s feedback and comments near to our hearts, and recognize that we can learn from your feedback as it assists us with our continued effort to improve and provide our guests with the luxury-style service they deserve.
That said, we are disappointed to hear that not all of your experience at La Torretta was a perfect one. Please note that we have been working diligently to streamline our valet system. The resort is simply not equipped for a self-park option, but we have increased our valet team to make the system as efficient as possible.
We also continuously evaluate our pricing to ensure that it is in line with our competitive set. We offer a host of packages and run frequent promotions to give our guests access to our many luxury amenities at the most competitive prices. We recommend subscribing to our e-newsletter for access to the most up-to-date specials.
The luxury suites you mentioned reach 18,000 square feet and are equipped with upgraded amenities like a personal gym, private office, dining room, Jacuzzi tub and wrap around balcony in addition to private concierge access.
Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to the property very soon.

Reviewed June 11, 2009

Reviewed June 5, 2009

Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montgomery
Best Western Lake Conroe Inn
Super 8 Montgomery/ Lake Conroe
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#6 of 14 in Conroe
Days Inn & Suites Conroe North
Red Roof Inn Conroe North-Willis
Holiday Inn Express Conroe

Been to La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!