“Renovations Really Rejuvenated Retreat”

La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Montgomery
Houston
“Renovations Really Rejuvenated Retreat”
Reviewed April 12, 2009

We have been going to Del Lago, now La Torretta, for years. Anyone who went to the old hotel/conference center will really appreciate and experience the "WOW" factor regarding the renovations to the hotel. The property has really been transformed from a lake lodge feel into a first class retreat. While the propery and staff still need some refining, the hotel and ammenties are great. The standard room conists of a bedroom and a living area. The rooms have been completely transformed. They are now high end rooms and I was very impressed. The living area had a sofa, four chairs, a desk, bar area -frige, minibar, etc., and a large flat screen tv. The bedroom had built in closets with his/her sides with drawers, places to hang ties/belts, and shelves for belongings. The bedroom also had a large flat screen,nice linens, and a comfortable bed. The bathroom was very impressive. It was huge. On one end was a large shower with a seat, great water pressure, and great bath products. The other end had a large soaking tub. The vanity was large with a lot of room to place items. Again, all high end material was used for the remodel. A small but impressive feature was the do not disturb or please clean my room light. Instead of the door hang tags that always fall off, each room has a light to indicate if you want privacy or your room cleaned. The food at the hotel was okay. I would say the Prime restaurant that is only open for Breakfast right now was over priced. I would not pay to eat there again. The desserts and quick service food at the Coffee bar were great and a good value. I have no complaints about the coffee. I don't like the valet only option for the hotel. I personally like to park my own car. Right now if you stay in the tower valet is the only option and of course there is a charge. I would like to see a self park lot. Also, a hang tag should be given to guest for their car so they can come and go without having to stop for the security guard. Everytime I came and left, I felt like I had to explain the reason I left the hotel and was coming back. The pool area was really incredible. They had a kids water park area, another smaller water area for toddlers, a lazy river with interactive features, two large water slides, and another large family pool. The pool area also has a beach front on the lake. They have an area roped off for swimming and they have added a Rave Agua Trampoline with a slide, water log, and bouncer to this area. What fun! I would recommend that they rake the sand they have now and then add fresh sand ( there are rocks and bits of construction debris in the sand, my son found pvc piping).
Overall, I was very impressed with the hotel, ammenities, and lake front location. The price is right and they offer specials which make up for some of the current areas that need a little more refining. The "younger staff" were really helpful and attentive. They did a great job handing out sand toys to the kids and ensuring the Easter events were fun. We will frequent this hotel. We only tried two restaurants and will give the ones we didn't try a chance. The piano bar/sushi bar was very nice. For breakfast and dinner we would likely go to some of the restaurants in Montgomery - Heritage House, Magnolia Diner, Fajita Jacks, Pizza Shack, Walden-Caddy Shack and Yaht Club. There are also several restaurants on Lake Conroe that are accessible by water. Have FUN! It is great for kids and a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank mytwobuckaroos
LaTorrettaDelLago1, Management at La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 21, 2009
We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your recent experience at La Torretta Del Lago Resort & Spa. It was our pleasure serving you.

Please know that we take all feedback to heart and, as a result of your review, will soon be providing guests with hang tags to be used in their cars. This will make entering and leaving the property more convenient, while ensuring that security at the resort continues to be upheld. We will also be taking additional measures to better maintain our beach.

Thank you again for your recommendations. We hope to welcome you back soon, so that you may see the changes first hand.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
conroe texas
Reviewed March 17, 2009

I was recently a guest at La Torretta Del Lago Resort & Spa.My wife had to work nearby the resort so we decided to stay just for the night (just a place to sleep) I was familiar with the old property and was sceptical about going back. My wife, however, told me that the resort had gone under a complete renovation / management / and owners. We arrived late Friday night and I was greeted by the valet team. The front desk agent was very helpful and welcoming. As he was checking me in he knowingly answered some questions I had and directed me to my room. The front desk area and lobby is a new building and it is very nice. My room was in the tower on the 15th floor which had a great view of the entire property. I was vey impressed. All rooms are suites so they were very accomidating. The room was very clean and welcoming. They have 2 big screen tv's.... one in the living area and one in the bedroom. This came in handy because my 3 year old and I didn't have to fight over the tv. We ordered room service (which is now available 24 hrs) it was delivered at the time it was promised and it was very good. The bathroom was really nice and extreamly spacious. My wife loved it so much I couldnt get her to get out of the shower. The bed was so big and comfortable and the pillows were awsome. (They should sell the pillows in the gift shop) We requested housekeeping to bring some extra bedding, pillows and towels and in less than 10 minutes we had all the stuff we needed. The next morning we ordered room service again and breakfast was really good also. The concierge then gave us a tour of the property, They have several restaurants on property, great activities for the kids, the spa and fitness center is unbelievable. My wife and I had to go to work right after that so we were unable to enjoy the resort in its entirety but we will be back very soon, especially now that it is getting warmer. Overall I was very impressed (compared to how I remembered the old Del Lago) I have already recommended this resort to family, friends and co-workers.

People from this area should be proud that we have such a great property here right at home and support all the efforts that everyone puts into that place. Its really worth it for people to go and experience the service, the food, the luxury, the resort! Why is it easier for people to complain than to complement?

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank i_aguilar

Please know that we take all feedback to heart and are thrilled that you and your family were able to experience the property’s recent changes first hand. Now that the temperatures are warmer, we hope you will return to enjoy our 3.5-acre Aqua Park. The area boasts six pools including a child-friendly Pollywogs pool that would be ideal for your three-year-old.

Thank you, again. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort very soon.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed March 17, 2009

The Resort is absolutely amazing! Staff was very attentive and willing to do anything to make the stay enjoyable. The views and slleping rooms ar one of a kind. All of this and you get golf and boating.....what could be better. I would definately recommend!!! 5 Star all the way.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience at La Torretta Del Lago Resort & Spa. It was our pleasure serving you. We hope to welcome you back to the property again very soon.
The Woodlands, TX
Reviewed March 12, 2009

I was real excited when we found out that Del Lago was undergoing renovations, as we utilized the resort often for a quick getaway from the city. We always rented the Villas, as they had every accommodation necessary for the "perfect home away from home'". If we were not in the Villas (because they were sold out) our other option was the penthouse, which was just as accommodating.

I constanly checked the website to see if they were open, and to my surprise they were {so soon!}. I then quickly called reservations to start booking my usual accommodations, for the spring break week {The Villas} as they had all the amenities of home, they are closer to the water, and have there own private dock for your pwc and boats.

As I talked to the reservationist who was very informative, I was getting more and more excited, listening to all the amenities that are going to be provided, but yet to be opened. Anyways, I continued to talk to hear about the VILLAS, and explained to her why my family and I rent these units, but then she quickly told me that the VILLAS were no longer what they usd to be, and that they are actually split into whole & partial units........meaning they are 2-3 units in 1 unit. I immediately became very skeptical with continuing my reservation.

Ok, let me explain to you all who will find MY REVIEW HELPFUL", The resort prior to renovation was utilized by many locals (again...."quick getaway") many of these locals had boats, and pwc's that they would take out during the day, and would return to thier accommodations "sun drenched", "sun burned" and "tired", and just wanted a place to take off their swim suite, throw on a robe, and bum out on the couch in front of the T.V. ....without having to go clear across the lake, or on the resort (as it was just to much trouble having to get all 'fancied up" to go back out to dinner)...................... My point is we spend hundreds already gassing up the boats, the jet skies, on accomodations and our trucks that I dont want to shell out more money on a restaurant. I like to go to the local grocery store stock up my kitchen with all the basics (meat to throw on the bbq pit, beer and wine, and eggs and bacon for the mornings).

ARE YOU PICTURING IT?

Well, when the VILLAS are split into 2 & 3 units without kitchens anymore, and the food on the resort being described as SUBSTANDARD (as another reviewer put it). You ask yourself WHY?

Why would you rent from here, I thought it was changing for the better. We need things to be a bit more pleasing and exceeding my expectations, but this is not the place. I think they made a huge mistake taking out those kitchens in the penthouses and the VILLAS (I thought that VILLA meant home/vacation home) well correct me if I am wrong dont homes have kitchens?

WOW! I think that the only ones going to rent these units are going to be YOUNG RICH KIDS, who want to get drunk, and a place to crash their drunk [--] at!

Your move may be a LIABILITY!

Believe me it wont last ................and it is not going to be "family accommodating!"

In a nutshell I think you left out the "LOCAL INTREST" in this resort! My recomendation.............save your parking money, your beer money and find a LAKE HOUSE FOR RENT, and get what you are paying for....YOU CAN REALLY "OWN" your vacation than feeling like it OWNED you!

Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank mdhernandez5
LaTorrettaDelLago1, Management at La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 24, 2009
On behalf of the team at La Torretta Del Lago Resort & Spa, we appreciate your feedback and hope you will give our new accommodations a chance, as we sincerely believe that the new amenities are specifically designed with our guests’ needs in mind.

Some of the exciting new additions made during La Torretta Del Lago’s $130 million renovation and expansion include a family friendly 3.5-acre Aqua Park, lighted miniature golf course, a spa with internationally-inspired signature treatments, an expanded fitness center, private beach and water vessels. It is our goal to soon operate as a 4 Diamond resort, which is why we redesigned La Torretta Del Lago with three times the number of restaurants for our families and guests to choose from. Of course, we also offer convenient room service options for those preferring to dine in the comfort of their suite.

We would like to thank you for sharing your concerns about La Torretta Del Lago with us. We sincerely hope you will come see the property for yourself and allow your family to experience all the new amenities that we have to offer.

Travelers are raving about these Montgomery hotels

jch7175
Reviewed March 8, 2009

I was not sure what to expect after reading the previous reviews. While the hotel is not 100% done with the renovation, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the overall resort. The suite was spacious and beautifully appointed with tranquil view of the Lake. The amenities were the best I've seen (and I've stayed at many 5 star hotels). The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The variety of activities that the resort offers is amazing. The moment we arrived, we regret not bringing our two year old son who would love the kiddie pool. mini golf and children's center. The dinner at Chez Roux was out of this world! You can catch the most romantic sunset from the restaurant. The new Spa where I got a Green Tea Cold Stone facial which was a real treat. The staff at the spa was extremely nice and the facility is top notch. I just wish I had gotten a few more treatments but our stay was just too short. Overall, the entire weekend experience exceeded my expectation. I already look forward to coming back.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your recent stay at the property and hope that you will return soon to enjoy our family friendly-facility. In addition to our 3.5-acre Aqua Park—which boasts six pools and a beach—the resort has a lighted miniature golf course, which is perfect for after-dinner games. As you know, we also offer Kids Camps, which give parents the opportunity to take in our new Internationally-inspired spa, 18-Hole Golf Course or a romantic dinner at Chez Roux.

Thank you again for allowing us to serve you. We hope to welcome you and your family back very soon.
Spring, Texas
Reviewed March 4, 2009

The hotel staff was very friendly and professional. The grounds are still under construction. There was a mix-up with our message which was quickly handled. Our only concern was our Dinner at The Prime which took over an hour to recieve our main course, our ticket was finally comped! After the property is through with the rennovations we will be back!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
LaTorrettaDelLago1, Management Representative at La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 10, 2009
On behalf of the team at La Torretta Del Lago Resort & Spa™, we would like to thank you for taking time to tell us about your experience at our property. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our hospitality team was able to take good care of you and your guest, during your visit. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

That said, we are disappointed to hear that not all of your time at La Torretta Del Lago and in Prime was a perfect one. Since your visit, we are happy to report that additional food and beverage outlets are now open. Additionally, we are now fully staffed and trained after the opening and in early March, our premiere French fine dining restaurant, Chez Roux, along with our tropical poolside restaurant CoCoCove Grill have both opened. Additionally, The Spa at La Torretta Del Lago has also opened. The contemporary eco-chic space features 23 treatment rooms offering internationally-inspired signature services and amenities including floatation tubs, Turkish Hammams and a watsu pool, as well as a men’s barber shop, women’s salon and a board certified doctor to perform non-invasive cosmetic procedures.

Thank you, again. We look forward to welcoming you back to the property very soon and assure you an experience in Prime that is sure to exceed your expectations. Should you have any additional concerns, our executive team is always accessible and happy to have your feedback.
Conroe
Reviewed December 14, 2008

We went to Del Lago for a Christmas party. I have stayed at the resort in the past, before the buy out and renovation. I too thought that the food was substandard. The mixed drink prices were $13.00, the beer was $5. Towards the end of the evening when our party was the only one left my wallet was stolen. I got the same treatment as the other people that complained of theft. The staff was very ho hum, like maybe I didn't check my pocket. I called the police out to file a report and the officer was great. I have a distinct feeling that my wallet was picked up when the drinks were getting picked up. At the end of the night I found my wallet in the trash of the bathroom right next to the service door. I have a feeling if someone other than an employee was to have stolen my wallet they wouldn't have gone through the trouble to walk all the way down the hall to the restroom. I have not even mentioned that the restroom did not have paper towels all night until closing. My wallet was under about 80 fancy del lago paper towels. Quite a disappointment. I live close to here and can tell you I do not believe that this place is worth the money or the risk of theft. This hotel has not been open that long to already have 2 thefts. Maybe something should be done about the security, possibly background checks and hiring someone under 80 to head it up. Save your $10 for parking, $13 for a drink and $200+ for a room. There are other hotels in the area.

Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank weekender29
LaTorrettaDelLago1, Management at La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 23, 2009
On behalf of La Torretta Del Lago Resort & Spa®, we would like to thank you for taking time to review our property. We value each of our guests and always appreciate hearing their feedback.

That said, we are disappointed and shocked about your less-than-perfect experience at La Torretta Del Lago. Please know that our Number One concern at the resort is the safety and security of our guests.
Please know that we have strict security standards in place. For one, our Security Department is registered by the State of Texas Private Security Bureau, which is regulated by the Department of Public Safety, unlike a loss prevention department, which is unregulated.

Additionally, La Torretta Del Lago’s security staff must qualify for level one and two security exams and undergo strict background checks that are approved by the Federal Bureau of Investigations.

The resort’s Security Department is made up of retired police officers and fire fighters, including our Director of Security who has 25 years as a former detective of the Maryland Police Department. Our team oversees the resort’s more than 30 security cameras, which monitor all activities 24 hours a day. As a preventative measure, La Torretta Del Lago pays additional off duty sworn police officers to roam the property and, as part of Hotel 101 Security Training, all employees are trained to immediately contact the Security Department if ever a report of theft is made.

Despite your previous experience, we sincerely hope you will give La Torretta Del Lago another chance to serve you in the future. Should you have any additional concerns, our executive team is always accessible and happy to hear your feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montgomery
Best Western Lake Conroe Inn
Super 8 Montgomery/ Lake Conroe
Embassy Suites by Hilton The Woodlands at Hughes Landing
Fairfield Inn & Suites Houston Conroe Near The WoodlandsR
La Quinta Inn & Suites Conroe
Days Inn & Suites Conroe North

Been to La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!