“STAFF ROCKS!”

La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Anything this place was lacking was completely overshadowed by how incredible the staff was at every turn! The vibe here is just fun, friendly and relaxed! You never know what you might get in Lake Conroe, so this was a welcome surprise to be so happy here! We travel alot and this resort had better customer service than some of the nicest resorts in the world! The onsite restaurants are 5 star! Especially the Lakeside restaurant for dinner! The kitchen has a huge glass window so you can see all of the goings on in the kitchen in a classy way! Its delightful! They also have an incredibly large wine cellar in the middle of the restaurant..must go! The waterpark is awesome complete with a lazy river and great cocktails made pool side! The hotel also has an indoor movie theater and they provide smores at night on the beach! Its a great place. Laid back but fulfilling!

Room Tip: Restaurant 157 and lakeside best restaurants
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
LaTorrettaResort, Manager at La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear john p.,
I appreciate you taking the time to write your review. I am so glad to read that you were so pleased with our staff, which is truly the highest compliment you can pay us. I am happy to see that you had the chance to visit our brand new restaurant Lakeside and designated it as five-star, we are flattered. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the resort very soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here over the Labor Day weekend. For an establishment that claims AAA Four Diamond resort, a majority of the services and amenities were subpar. Service in both the Lakeside Restaurant and Restaurant 157 were slow and inaccurate (Lakeside redeemed themselves for comping our meal for their error). Mokka cafe ran out of bagels without means to replenish them while we waited in line for 15 minutes. Phones in our room were not working, as was one or two elevators. Staff did not know where the mini-golf course was and set us on a wild goose chase. Highlights were the spa and the aqua park. But the trip was dampened due to these little, irksome shortcomings that just accumulated over time. Definitely not something you would expect from a supposedly highly-rated resort.

2  Thank Candice C
LaTorrettaResort, Manager at La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear Candice C,
Thank you for your comments. I apologize deeply for the issues that occurred during your stay. I have shared your experience with the senior management team and we are working to resolve the problems you incurred during your stay. If you have any other concerns please contact us at 936-582-6407. I do hope we have the opportunity to win back your trust and have you visit us again.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

we had a wonderful Labor Day weekend experience at La Torretta. Super fast check in / check out. Staff is abundant and VERY helpful and friendly. It's an older hotel but I thought the rooms were updated very nicely. Beds and pillows very comfy. I came prepared with a cooler knowing that we would not have a mini fridge.. so no problem there. The aqua park is great. We spent a lot of time in the lazy river and never had a problem finding a tube. The water in the lazy river could be a little deeper. My son loved the water slides. The permanent shade structures around the pool are nice but they are FULL by 10am. We asked staff if they could find us an umbrella but they were unable. (apparently 4 umbrellas were broken and we saw that there were several umbrella stands in the corner of the pool area not being used) There needs to be a lot more tables/umbrellas around the pool. We had a great time on the mini golf course... very well kept. Lakeside Restaurant was excellent!! I recommend the flounder with lump crab. (my son had the penne pasta with shrimp and they were the biggest shrimp I've ever seen!) My son also loved the breakfast buffet at Restaurant 157. Overall it was a wonderful mini vacation, impressive quantity of staff.. and we'll definitely be back! Thank you!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
LaTorrettaResort, Manager at La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Stephanie Z,
Thank you so much for choosing us to stay with over your holiday weekend! We are so delighted to read that you enjoyed the aqua park and your experience at Lakeside. Next time you visit Lakeside you should try the crab cakes, they are my absolute favorite and are definitely not to be missed. We hope to welcome you back very soon and thank you so much for your comments on your stay.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had a group of 60 people celebrating our birthday. It was truly amazing how attentive the staff was to every detail. Each one of our guests really enjoyed the rooms, the food, the service, the pool, the waterpark and the spa. Having visited many resorts this experience for our friends and family was truly remarkable. Some of the folks at the resort who are great to work with are Theresa Mentzer who worked tirelessly to set up our event. She actually came in on her day off to be certain we had a first class affair. Rebecca Cook at the front desk was phenomenal. She made everyone feel welcomed. Rachid made sure that we were setup with everything we needed for our concert and fellowship services. Amanda Perry managed her team at the front desk with efficiency. Jeff and Jamie at Restaurant 157 took wonderful care of our guests. Norma in banquet services was fantastic. Debbie and her team at the spa was outstanding. The spa area was terrific. Randy on the recreation team managed all of our requests.

We did not have a bad meal during our entire stay. We stayed on the property for 3 nights. Our final two nights the hotel was completely booked. The service remained impeccable.

I certainly wished that the lobby was functional for our visit.

Overall I would encourage others to visit La Torretta and enjoy the view, the staff and the amenities that the property has to offer.

Room Tip: The Penthouse has all you need and more. I would like to see a refrigerator in that suite. Even with...

Dear Deirdre P,
' It was truly amazing how attentive the staff was to every detail.' is a true compliment to our staff and they will be so pleased to hear that your birthday celebration was such a success. I am so glad that your stay went so flawlessly and you enjoyed your meals, spa and Theresa was, yet again, able to pull off a well-planned event. I do hope that we will have the delight in having you back again for your next birthday.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

First of all La Torretta is not a 5 star resort but it's 1/3rd the price of the big name places in Texas. We spoke to friends who had been there and weren't expecting too much. We were pleasantly surprised. The 2 room suites are great and very clean. The Aqua park is great for families but we enjoyed our days at the pool even though it was just my wife and I. All of the staff was gracious, friendly and helpful. We ate at the Lakeside restaurant both nights and had very good meals. I saw a post that said the portions were small but they were just right. The restaurant Manager was constantly around talking to the guests and making sure everything was right. I would take quality over quantity any day. We did not try the spa but the fitness center was large and well equipped. There is not a lot to do at the resort in the day except for the pool but we were just looking for a relaxing weekend so it was fine for us. There are many Marinas around that rent boats if your interested in a day on the lake.the only area that can use improvement is there was very little Management around the aqua park. It was a busy holiday weekend and the staff was working hard to keep up with towels and drink orders but it could be a little better organized. If you don't go there with overly high end resort expectations, you will be very satisfied. It's a good value for the money.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan B
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This Resort has so much potential that it is really very sad how poorly it is mismanaged. I can see another bankruptcy coming soon.

My long line of disappointments came from the beginning in making a reservation. My husband is on medication that must be kept refrigerated. I tried to reserve a mini-fridge while making reservations but was refused. I was informed mini-fridges are only available on a first come first serve basis and other than that I had to use an ice chest as ice machines are available. So OK, I dealt with that and at the time of check in (3:00 pm) I asked if a mini-fridge was available and was told one was and that it would be delivered to my room shortly. We went to our room (we booked a 2 room cottage), dropped off our luggage, went and got something to eat, back to the room and changed into our swimming suits and off to swim. At 9:00 pm when we returned to the room the mini-fridge was not there. Husband's medicine was reaching room temperature as ice pack I had it wrapped in was melted. Walked to the ice machine and of course it was out of ice. Went to the check-in counter and was told the fridge should have already been delivered and they would get it there momentarily. The lady at the counter went and got me some ice so I could get my husband's medicine on ice. At 11:30 p.m. housekeeping showed up to the room with the mini-fridge only to determine the plug was messed up and they would have to go get another one. At midnight a working mini-fridge was delivered and set up in my room. I think midnight is a bit late to be providing customer service, my kids were awakened by all of the laughing and giggling from the 2 ladies from housekeeping delivering the mini-fridge. So Ok, we finally got to go to bed at midnight.

Next morning at about 9 am I wake up sweating, the room is so hot. I get up and realize that the electricity is off. About that time there is a knock at the door, housekeeping. They want to come in to clean. I tell them no but try to inform them the electricity is off. They are Spanish speaking only and do not understand, merely smile and walk away. The lady next to me comes out of her cottage. I ask if she has electricity, she says yes but the hotel and some of the cottages are out but the hotel has a generator on it. I call the front desk who informs me that the electric company is working on the issue. The electricity comes back on pretty quickly after that.

At 9:30 a.m. I call room service to deliver 3 orders of French toast, 1 order of banana pancakes and a fried egg/bacon/hash brown plate with 3 chocolate milks, a coffee and an ice tea. At 10:30 a.m. room service delivers 5 plates of food... no drinks, no flatware and no syrup for the 4 plates of food requiring syrup. The room service guy leaves, I call room service and advise I need my drinks, flatware and syrup. About 15 minutes later room service arrives with the drinks but no flatware and no syrup. The guy leaves without me being able to tell him that I need flatware and syrup. I call room service again and let them know that I need flatware and syrup. Again, another 15-20 minutes go by and a guy comes and drops off 3 sets of flatware and 2 very small containers of syrup...now mind you I have 5 plates of food so there are 5 people eating and 4 of those 5 plates of food require syrup so no I don't have enough flatware or syrup. I again call room service who now will not answer my calls. I call the front desk and get transferred to room service despite my attempts to advise them room service will not answer my call now. Again, room service does not answer. I call the front desk again, this time somehow I get someone in security. I tell him what's going on and he advises he will have a manager call me but says he must transfer me to room service so that I can get the remaining items that I still need. He transfers me again and this time room service answers. I tell them I still need 2 more sets of flatware and at least 2 more containers of syrup. He advises that they are having problems with delivering room service as the hotel will not let them use a Van or even one of the serving golf carts to deliver food and his employees are having to use their own vehicles to make the deliveries. About 10 minutes later the last of the flatware and the last of the syrup is delivered and we get to sit down to a COLD breakfast. My room phone then rings and a lady who identifies herself as a manager is on the line. She wants to know how she can help me. I tell her what has occurred. She does not apologize but merely states due to the electricity being out earlier in the morning they are having trouble with trying to serve room service. I tell her 4 attempts to get all of the food delivered to be able to eat is a little on the ridiculous side and I would have rather have been told they could not provide room service than to have had the horrible experience that I just had. She then asked me what it was that she could do at this point. I advised nothing I just wanted someone to know how poor the service was. She at this point told me she would comp the breakfast meal so that I would not have to pay for it. Good thing as this cold breakfast that I waited 2 hours to eat was costing me $86.

So, that was my horrible experience with room service and housekeeping.... now let me get to the Aqua Park.... The first night there when we went to the water park the slides were not running. The lazy river was running but not the slides. So you could either swim in one of the pools or float around the lazy river. I chose to get in the pool under the adults only pool only to find that it was littered with plastic cups, lots of plastic cups. It is as if it had not been cleaned out in days. I then went and floated around the lazy river with my kids. The next day when my husband and I went to the Aqua Park with the kids we found that the slides were now open and running and although the lazy river was open, it was not running meaning if you got in it you either had to paddle yourself around it or walk it. Not much of a lazy river! Not much of a Aqua Park. I also found on the second day that the pool I was in the night before was still littered with plastic cups, it still had not been cleaned out.

I do have to say my room was very nice and clean. It was decorated nicely and it was comfortable with the large living room in the center separating the king suite bedroom from the kids double queen bedroom. I really liked this feature.

Again, this resort has so much potential it is sad that it is not living up to the potential it has. I would hate to see it close but with as many problems as it has I do not see it staying open for long.

I don't know anything about the spa portion of the resort as I decided against having a massage and facial as I did not want to have any more dissatisfying experiences.

3  Thank Mona M
LaTorrettaResort, Manager at La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Mona M,
Thank you for sharing your comments with us as it helps us to improve upon our guests' experiences. We pride ourselves on our customer service and we were clearly not up to standards during your stay, for that I am deeply apologetic. We are currently working on resolving the issues that you were so good to bring to our attention, as I have shared your comments with my senior management team. We would love to speak with you directly and try and rectify our shortcomings. Please email us at raiple@latorrettalakeresort.com. We look forward to speaking to you.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I went during the week with my girlfriend and her son for a last summer fling. We had rented the cottages at a great rate. Rebecca checked me in & I asked if we could have our cottages close to each other. Rebecca was so sweet and upgraded my cottage so it connected to my girlfriends. Thanks, Rebecca! That made our trip great! The living room was large, with comfortable furniture. A kitchen table & chairs, but no microwave or refrigerator. The bathroom shower was large and lots of fluffy towels. The shuttle will take you to the pool and lobby. The kids pool had two fun slides. There is a lazy river. We had lunch at the pool, average at best. The hotel had smore's night for the kid's. The loungers at the pool need cushions. I didn't utilize the spa. We were there during the week, so it wasn't crowded with people. I wouldn't choose this property for a romantic get away. Family oriented and a great staff made our visit enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Denise A,
I was delighted to read that you so enjoyed your visit with us. Customer service is of the utmost importance to us and I am so glad that you were pleased with Rebecca and the rest of our staff. I do hope we will have the pleasure of your company again at the resort and thank you again for sharing your stay with us.

Jaimi Fore, Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montgomery
Best Western Lake Conroe Inn
Super 8 Montgomery/ Lake Conroe
Embassy Suites by Hilton The Woodlands at Hughes Landing
La Quinta Inn & Suites Conroe
SpringHill Suites Houston The Woodlands
Days Inn & Suites Conroe North

Been to La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!