“Potential not met”

La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Upon arrival, couldn't quite figure out where to park or check in. Signage not good during some renovations of the lobby. Met the rest of my group at the pool area while waiting for the room (zero chance of it being ready early).

Te check in area is at the conference center. There were three people at the desk and there was a line up. I appeared to be working while the others watched. Took a little while but the others finally decided to get to work. The staff didn't seem very professional or well trained but nice enough. Just had trouble answering some basic questions about activities.

Booked the $99 special rooms. This is a great price and why we booked to check the place out. Te rooms were cabins over by the golf course. Not a far walking distance but with small children we opted to drive back and forth to the pool and main hotel area.

The cabins were nice and recently updated and spacious. Since it was far from the main hotel, it would have been nice for them to include a fridge. The cabins are right on the golf course SI the scenery is nice but the grit if them needs work. It is all dirt and weeds around the front.

The watermark is nice. The kids loved the pools and lazy river and there are a couple water slides. Te pools could use some more cleaning though and more weeding. The bar was nice at the pool although again the service was painfully slow.

We ate at the hotel bar/sushi/pizza restaurant. The restaurants are moved around during renovations. The sushi was ok. My daughter didn't want sushi so we ordered a pizza. That came way after the sushi and the waitress asked how it was because no one ever ordered it. It came delivered in a box to our table. There were menus for it on every table.

Overall was a decent place to stay but needs more work.

• Stayed: July 2013
There are newer reviews for La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The pool area and views are great, especially for young children. The inside is a little dirty. There was a musty body odor smell in our room, and our shower head was broken. The floors were dirty as well on our floor in the hallway. The food was overpriced for what you got, but the fruit was super fresh and yummy. Part of it was under construction, which is seems to be the norm for this hotel. I will go back for my kids and enjoy the outside but I didn't like spending too much time in the room. I couldn't have been sure the sheets were really clean.

Room Tip: Make sure its clean
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I was here for a conference but brought the Mrs. The fitness center and spa kept her busy she didn't even noticed I was working most of time. That's probably not a good thing but it worked well for both us. lol. When we were togther we had blast. The water park and restaurants were great. This hotel is one of those it's what you make of it. I think they should put refridgerators back in rooms.

Room Tip: Make sure you inquire about the view. Waterpark view is great and lake view is peaceful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I visited La Torretta with a very large group -- you would think they would want to impress with good service. However, from check-in at the resort to arriving at the golf course, the people at La Torretta seemed indifferent to being helpful. The golf course wasn't ready for us when we arrived (were supposed to have rental clubs, boxed lunches, and drinks on the cart -- had none of these). They socialized with one another while I stood waiting to ask a question on multiple occasions. They didn't even have the tees in place on the tee boxes (had to put them in ourselves). Furthermore, the golf course may have the sparsest yardage marking of any course I've ever played, which was especially frustrating given they asked us to go 'cart path only.'

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Wes J
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Booked 4 rooms for a family birthday celebration and must say I was pleasantly surprised at how spacious and nice the rooms were. The property itself is well situated on Lake Conroe. The pools, water slide and lazy river kept every member of our group entertained.
The property has undergone a major renovation and some parts of the resort seem a little quirky, For example, the reservation desk is in a seperate building from the rooms, but overall we found the property to be beyond satisfactory.
The hotel's customer service was excellent, Therefore, I recommend that you book directly with the hotel for the best service. I initially booked with central booking and discovered a big mix up a few days later..One call to the hotel itself, the matter was straightened out immediately.
Note: there are no refrigerators in the room uness you request one to be brought in.,
Not all rooms have sofabeds.. We used AAA discount for a great rate.

Room Tip: Marina views are worth it...beautiful view of lake.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MellieG
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Great room. Nasty pool. Very out dated water fixtures and plaster and pool equipment. The water felt dirty and lots of debris floating in nasty lazy river. Alot of trash around the pool and lazy river. There was even a dirty diaper on a chair that nobody cared to pickup. We sat there for about three hrs one day and was never asked by a waiter or waitress for drinks even though several were working the pool. We never personally had food on site but was told by several other guests that the food was very bad in several of the Restraunt's on site. If you like a 10.00 grilled cheese that tasted two days old was a comment I heard. Basically this place is owned by a bank due to a bankruptcy according to google. My assumption is the bank is running the resort with a bare minimum staff. If you plan to play golf, play next store at Walden. The torretta course looked like it wasn't very well manicured and was very dry as opposed to walden which still looked very green. Like many other posted , location has awesome potential with better management.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank cavjock
LaTorrettaResort, Manager at La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear cavjock,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. I wanted to express my sincere apology for the lapses in service that you encountered during your stay. We take cleanliness and service very seriously and I have made sure that our senior management team is following up on your complaints. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again so that we may show you the service we are capable of. Thank you again for your review.

Jaimi Fore, Manager

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was an older, yet still nice resort that offers several activities. They did a superb job accomodating my entire business group. The staff were all very friendly and efficient. Rooms are nice although they do not have refrigerators in the suites. The view from my 16th floor room was awesome. I do recommend this location to other.

Room Tip: Water views are excellent.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montgomery
Best Western Lake Conroe Inn
Super 8 Montgomery/ Lake Conroe
Embassy Suites by Hilton The Woodlands at Hughes Landing
SpringHill Suites Houston The Woodlands
La Quinta Inn & Suites Conroe
Fairfield Inn & Suites Houston Conroe Near The WoodlandsR

Been to La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!