“Great room. Crappy service. Dirty Pool”

La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Montgomery
Seabrook, Texas
“Great room. Crappy service. Dirty Pool”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Great room. Nasty pool. Very out dated water fixtures and plaster and pool equipment. The water felt dirty and lots of debris floating in nasty lazy river. Alot of trash around the pool and lazy river. There was even a dirty diaper on a chair that nobody cared to pickup. We sat there for about three hrs one day and was never asked by a waiter or waitress for drinks even though several were working the pool. We never personally had food on site but was told by several other guests that the food was very bad in several of the Restraunt's on site. If you like a 10.00 grilled cheese that tasted two days old was a comment I heard. Basically this place is owned by a bank due to a bankruptcy according to google. My assumption is the bank is running the resort with a bare minimum staff. If you plan to play golf, play next store at Walden. The torretta course looked like it wasn't very well manicured and was very dry as opposed to walden which still looked very green. Like many other posted , location has awesome potential with better management.

3 Thank cavjock
LaTorrettaResort, Manager at La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear cavjock,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. I wanted to express my sincere apology for the lapses in service that you encountered during your stay. We take cleanliness and service very seriously and I have made sure that our senior management team is following up on your complaints. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again so that we may show you the service we are capable of. Thank you again for your review.

Jaimi Fore, Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was an older, yet still nice resort that offers several activities. They did a superb job accomodating my entire business group. The staff were all very friendly and efficient. Rooms are nice although they do not have refrigerators in the suites. The view from my 16th floor room was awesome. I do recommend this location to other.

Room Tip: Water views are excellent.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
College Station, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The new owners have spent so much money remodeling and have missed the mark. This is one of the best locations on Lake Conroe. Yet, they have removed what previously was one of the best marinas on the lake. They have removed all fridges and other family friendly items. In an effort to be "fancy" the restaurants have dress codes (I couldn't get into any of them with the lake / vacation clothes I brought). It's all valet parking which is very inconvenient when traveling with children and all of their luggage.
The staff is very friendly, and mostly local folks who are constantly apologizing for these inconveniences.
If you're interested in golf (the golf course is not kept up at all), boating or any water sport, or a family friendly environment, this is not the place.
If you're looking for a "fancy" place that just happens to be on a lake, this might just work for you.

1 Thank ScottTAMU
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our family weekend at the resort. Excellent location, fantastic food and beverage venues and the hotel was very clean. The staff were friendly and eager to please. Kudos to the leadership at the hotel for putting together such a dedicated team. Can't wait to return again for a staycation.

Room Tip: Try the Sushi- you won't be disappointed.
Dear Ahant,
Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent visit. I am delighted to read that you were so pleased with your entire experience with us from the food and beverage to the service. We strive to make your stay the best it can be and I am so happy that we were a success! I hope that we have the opportunity to have you back again with us very soon.

In hospitality,
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The resort has obviously undergone extensive remodeling and has some very pleasant aspects. We stayed in a 2 bedroom Golf cottage and it was finished to a high standard, but could have done with a little more optionality regarding self catering (e.g. Microwave, cook-top, refrigerator, etc.). A refrigerator can be requested, but even that doesn't guarantee receiving one, especially when the resort is very busy. The Lakeside cottages are closer to the main body of the resort and may be more pleasant locations in the evening with a lake view. The resort amenities are a little more limited than the larger resorts further west, but it is more conveniently located for those living in Houston. We ate at the Lakeside restaurant and were very impressed with the quality of both the food and service at the quoted prices. We would return to the resort, even for as little as one night, but would be looking for potential discounts due to the relatively high price point.

Dear Simon P,
Thank you for your comments. I am so glad that you were able to experience our brand new restaurant Lakeside during your stay, and am so happy t o read that you were so impressed with the service and quality of food that you received. I am glad that you intend to visit us again, as this is what we daily strive for. Please, let me know if I can get you anything during your future stay with us.

North Texas, United States
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I read several negative reviews before we visited this resort. Most dealt with poor service. We just got back from a 3 day stay during the busy July 4th holiday and it seems that La Torretta has made a comeback. The service was excellent from the time we arrived to the time we departed. We did have a problem with the room we were put in as the reservation agent said that we would have a view of the water, but we were given a 1st floor room looking out at the parking area. When I brought this to the staff's attention, we were given rooms on the 6th floor that looked directly out on the water. The room was beautiful, especially the bathroom! The bed was very comfortable and we got a great nights sleep. We enjoyed the waterpark, but were a little disappointed when the waterpark restaurant ran out of food early July 4 evening. However, they seemed to have this fixed the next day. One negative to the hotel is that there is not a refrigerator in the room, so bring your ice chest. We did get to watch 4 or 5 fireworks shows from our balcony. Overall, I give the hotel a 4 out of 5 rating.

Room Tip: Make sure to request a room as high in the tower as possible.
Dear Patrick H,
I enjoyed reading about the stay that you had during the 4th of July weekend. I am so glad that you had such a great time and that you enjoyed the service you received. I do hope that you will be able to come back again to stay with us again soon and thank you so much for your review.

TX
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Went for a quick getaway with family. Live in Houston so like the convenience. When we arrived I was not aware they were remodeling the lobby so wasn't sure where to check in. Arrived a little early but we were allowed to utilize the pool until our room was ready. They were nice enough to call us to let us know when our room was ready and it did not take that long.

We were really there for the pool activities because that is what my kids like. Pools are nice. Slides fun but no lifeguards or monitors so you need to make sure you are watching out for your kids. Lazy river small but heated so that is a nice treat. Nice poolside menu so able to enjoy standard pool menu and drinks. They did not have any small tables near pool chairs which would have been nice. There are not a lot of shaded areas or umbrellas available and they should really reconsider this in the summer Texas heat. I have to agree with other reviews that they really need to work on the landscape and lawn manicure. When you are in the lazy river you are looking at a lot of weeds! The beach area did not look like other artificial hotel beaches. Not really kept up and no chairs or anything in that part if you wanted to sit down and let kids play in sand. They do s'mores in the evening which kids always enjoy.

Rooms are nice and the suite set up is ideal for families. The room had a balcony but no chairs to sit out and enjoy the view. If I am going to pay extra for a lake view room then I would like to have the option to sit outside on the balcony and enjoy. Other little things about the room that keep me from rating higher are there were only 2 sets of towels yet we booked the room stating there were going to be 4.

Family Dining options (not including Coco bay by the pool) are not that great in my opinion. The main dining room only had a buffet option for dinner and we really did not want BBQ. They recommended we try Energie which is the sushi restaurant and told us we could order off the menu there. We went there and even though the place was empty we had hard time getting seated and when we did we were seated at a wobbly table that was dirty. We decided the fact that both the restaurants were pretty empty on a Saturday night that there were probably better options outside the hotel. We ended up going to Five Guys and had great burgers. There are lots of chains and dining options on HWY105. We did eat the breakfast buffet prior to leaving. Food was good but had to find someone to take our drink order. The carpet was extremely dirty with food and hard for me to imagine that was all from breakfast that morning. It is also strange that the restaurants are in the conference center area and not in the main hotel.

The one thing I will say is even though the staff seemed stretched thin they were all extremely friendly and helpful. I would come back again but I think there are a few things management needs to work on to make this a top notch resort.

1 Thank lovejones
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montgomery
Best Western Lake Conroe Inn
Super 8 Montgomery/ Lake Conroe
Hampton Inn & Suites Conroe - I-45 North
Fairfield Inn & Suites Houston Conroe Near The WoodlandsR
La Quinta Inn & Suites Conroe
WoodSpring Suites Conroe
WoodSpring Suites Conroe
#250 of 510 in Houston

Been to La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!