“You get what ya pay for.”

La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Overall its a nice place. Not the best staff because its only kids running everything. The staff looks and acts "Kinda like its a summer camp", its not unprofessional, just very very relaxed, i guess you could say.
It was worth every penny (2 BDR, with living area and dinning area (no frig) little house on golf course, pre-pay for $320.00 per night + $20.00 resort fee), with the exception of the $9.00 tiny margaritas. The food at the hotel is good for hotel food but there are some great restaurants very close by.., worth the 6-7min drive!!!.
Kids enjoyed the water park, even tho the water was still very cold. A few black matts in the pool, could have really warmed it up the week before before the spring break crowds arrived. DJ only played music from his iPod, so if ya didn't like county, you were out of luck. Everything that was wrong there is just a reflection of what must be poor management.
Unlikely i will return, to many other place to pick from.

Room Tip: If you are going for the water park, stay at the hotel, not the golf course view villas, to far away...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
LaTorrettaResort, Manager at La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear TexasTrippinTim,
Thank you so much for your review, we value your feedback so that we may improve our service. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your overall stay but there are definite points that you brought up that we can improve upon. It is true that we have a casual atmosphere at the resort to have our guests experience a true retreat but we can make sure that the pool music is a little more professional, yet fun. I will be sure and bring up your other concerns with our staff at our meeting today. Thank you so much for bringing these issues to our attention and I do hope you will try us again to only make your experience more and more enjoyable.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

The hotel was decent and you shouldn't be expecting anything spectacular if you've done research beforehand. We stayed in a lakeview suite and the room was clean and adequate. The mattresses are not right off the ground anymore as mentioned in a previous review. We found the beds to be quite comfortable. The lake view is not worth paying extra imo. The water related amenities are great for kids and the only reason we would return. Service around the hotel was very good but our experiences at the restaurants were awful. We waited over 2 hrs for our food at the lakeside restaurant. The waiter was courteous and tried to be accommodating but would forget things we asked for and made other mistakes as well. Lots of other tables that were seated much later received their food before us. The kitchen staff and so called "chef" were a joke. It shouldn't take that long to prepare two steaks (which were not good). The manager came by the table and tried to tell us that he looked at our ticket time and we had "only" been waiting over an hour for our food. It was most definitely over 2 hours and we still didn't have our food. Regardless, he pretended to care and took down our room number and told us he would take care of the situation one way or the other (nothing ended up happening). When we finally got our ticket, it was for the wrong table. On the other hand, the host was very nice and tried to rectify the situation by offering to comp our meal but I refused and paid with tip. I didn't want to stiff the waiter who wasn't very good but not for a lack of effort. Our experience at Prime was very similar. The restaurant was dead but our steaks took over an 1hr and half after ordering to come out. The little cafe next to the gift shop was better than the two restaurants. I would recommend this resort for families with kids that can enjoy the water park/slides/lazy river but I would definitely avoid the restaurants if possible.

2  Thank jaylee777

Dear jaylee777,
First, I would like to apologize profusely that you had to wait, not once but twice for over an hour on your food. This is completely unacceptable and I have already personally addressed this with both managers and have been assured that it will not happen again. I appreciate your review so that we can address and improve upon our service to you in the future and I do hope that you join us again in the future. If we have the pleasure of serving you again, please, ask for me at the front desk so that I may personally thank you for giving us another try.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We met another family for the last 3 days of spring break. Besides the water being a little cold, we all had a fantastic time. We have an 8 and 6 year old. Other fam had 3 kids ranging from 10 to 3. Fabulous aqua park, water slides, poolside games, poolside service for food and drinks. Even a sandy beach for little ones to dig and play near shallow water. You could even bring your fishing poles. There's also mini golf, it's clean and the kids had a blast! We ordered food for in room dining. Portions were great, food arrived hot and delicious. No complaints. If you want a lock box/safe in your room be sure to confirm ahead of time that the one in the room is bolted securely in cabinet. Ours was not so it didn't work. If you want adjoining rooms, plan in advance because those are limited and not guaranteed. Overall great experience. Will go again!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Tallyleo

Dear Tallyleo,
Thank you so much for your glowing review of La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa! We are so delighted that you had such a wonderful time with your family over Spring Break, that the 'kids had a blast' and that you enjoyed all of the various amenities. I hope that you return very soon so that we can have the pleasure of serving you for years to come.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

If you're looking to sit by the pool and let the kids run wild for a couple of days, this is a great place to go. The onsite restaurants are way over-priced; however, the manager tried really hard to provide good service. Room was not cleaned so I'm not sure what's up with that---we stayed in a "golf cottage." All in all, a little low budget but worth it if you use a $99.00 Groupon like we did.

4  Thank mimiaddison

Dear mimiaddison,
I appreciate your review of your recent stay with us and thank you for your help with improving the service of the resort. I am so sorry that your golf cottage was not cleaned during your stay, we pride ourselves on getting our rooms quickly cleaned and I am sorry that this was not your experience. Our restaurant pricing is comparable to other four-star hotels in the area, and we feel we provide good value. But clearly this was not your impression and for that we offer our apologies. I have shared your comments with my management team for review and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here in March for a business conference, rooms were very nice, quite modern and all suites. I had a nice room with king bed in a separate bedroom, huge shower, sofa, balcony and large desk. On the king bed, watch out for the wooden base that protrudes from the bed, in the middle of the night as you head to the bathroom in the ark you can do your ankle a nasty injury if you walk into it.....they really need to remove these. Only amenities in the rooms is the normal shampoo, conditioner, body wash etc etc, no toothbrush, toothpaste, mini bar or anything.
Conference venue was great, food was fine...I didn't use the restaurant but did use the cafe one morning and food and coffee was good. Didn't use the pools or spa but did play a round of golf and was very enjoyable.
Great few days in a nice location.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear aufreqtrvlr,
Thank you so much for your positive feedback! We are thrilled that you enjoyed the rooms and the round of golf that you got to retreat to during your business conference. We hope that you will return very soon so that you can enjoy the pool and spa that you mentioned you did not get to visit this time around.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

In the middle of nowhere.
If it's not warm and sunny, the water surrounding has no value - it's ugly in the winter.
Dirty dishes left in hallways the entirety of my stay.
Outrageous prices for room service - breakfast - simple scrambled eggs, toast, juice, coffee - $34. The do have a restaurant with a buffet - reminded me of Golden Corral..but double the price.
They charged $24 to valet park my car but their parking lots were all tore up so they literally drove my new car 12 feet and left it parked in the circle drive the entire weekend. Then when I used my spare key to go for a drive and return it ..they didn't even know I had left but thought I was a new visitor...lol. It was kinda scarey. People were loading and unloading all over the place...could have easily hit my car or scratched it.
There isn't anything on the facility if you need something - say toothpaste...or shampoo.
For the cost of the spa environment...I'd def go somewhere else and it's even further from town which is basically WalMart, McDonalds...I can do that at home. Unless you are going for golf, I wouldn't bother. I will say the bathrooms in the hotel room are nice.
I was there for a work function and had no choice. But I wasn't impressed and wouldn't go again unless it was free..and then I might give it to someone else to use.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Gr82bT,
We pride ourselves on our property upkeep and attention to detail, but clearly we were not up to standards on your stay, and for that we are truly sorry. Our menu items are priced comparable to other four-star hotels in the area and we feel that we provide good value but this was not your impression and for that I apologize. We fell short of your expectations during your stay and I offer my sincere apologies. I have followed up with my team, and the issues have been fixed. I do hope that you will give us a second chance to win back your business in the future and I thank you again for your review.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stumbled upon La Torretta when I signed up for a winery tour recently and was looking for close accomodations due to the obvious drinking and driving issues. I couldn't have been more surprised! What a beautiful resort in an unexpected place. The lake was lovely and the panio bar was very fun. I'm not sure how the sushi restaurant at the hotel ran out of rice, but they were at least polite about it, so I simply ordered something else. The pools are amazing, the hot tub was perfect and the poolside service was terrific!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank SCLakeGirl_67

Dear SCLakeGirl_67,
I am thrilled to read that you had such a wonderful time staying with us! I was particularly happy to read your comments about our piano bar and the poolside service, I know our staff will be delighted to hear it. I do hope you stay with us again next time you come out for a winery tour!

Jaimi Fore, Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montgomery
Best Western Lake Conroe Inn
Super 8 Montgomery/ Lake Conroe
Days Inn & Suites Conroe North
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 14 in Conroe
Fairfield Inn & Suites Houston The Woodlands
Fairfield Inn & Suites Houston Conroe Near The WoodlandsR

Been to La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!