“Great Place and Location”

La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Montgomery
The Woodlands, Texas, United States
“Great Place and Location”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife and I took our 2 little boys this last weekend. The facility is very nice and employees are very helpful. The only problem is the parking. The valet is $15/day which is reasonable. I decided to park my car myself because they would park it the same place I would, in a rock parking lot. That's no problem if it isn't raining, but when we left it was raining and I had to walk through mud to get into my car. Luckily, I had a towel I could throw on the floor mat, but I would of been very upset if the valet service would of gotten mud all in my car. All in all, I would recommend the hotel and will come back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I'm sure at one time this was a nice place, but the rooms are dirty, bugs everywhere and smells of mold. I feel like I'm at a cheap summer camp instead of staying at a resort. The staff is friendly, but I shouldn't have to ask for light bulbs, a clean room, clean comforter...hair removed from the shower. My room is full of mosquitos and other crawly things. Not a good time.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the golf villas!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Divatude_IL
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My wife and two kids (3 and 6) were really looking forward to getting away this weekend with our friends from Austin (with their two kids, 3 and 5). We booked reservations on-line for two "suites"... they were stand-alone houses about 1/4 mile from the pool that we all read about. It turns out that these suites dank, moldy cabins that you'd find at an old summer camp. This "resort" is run by rude, disinterested hotel staff (mostly twenty year olds) who couldn't care less about the quality of your stay. I spoke with the hotel desk manager, Sean Martin, to describe our situation and request a change to the main hotel, which appeared basically empty. The manager was condescending: he offered that I could pay a full rack rate to stay on the hotel property if I wanted to. We decided to check out that same evening and will never go back. Would you stay in a run-down place with this kind of service? No, you wouldn't.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank GIBHouston
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The family and I decided to reserve rooms here at the La Torretta and I can say it was well worth it. We did only stay for 1 night but arrived early (well before check in) and enjoyed the pool area. We arrived early like I said and to my surprise our rooms were ready to go for all of us. No waiting or anything. Rooms are very spacious and the bathroom is very large. The hotel is very modern and the rooms are exactly the same they fit the "now a days" type hotels you see that are being built. The pool area is their winning feature especially if you have kiddos. Slides and even toddler pools are a great thing to have when kids are needing something to do. We ate at the buffett for Dinner and Breakfast being that we had 15 people with us that includes children. This was a great thing for us to do so there wasn't any confusion on bills and also the kids wouldn't interupt the more adult restraunt settings. Dinner was decent it's not a huge selection but it did the job. Breakfast was a bigger selection and really was great! The grounds are well kept and the property is very large so you'll need to walk a little. We also did putt putt golf and had great time and the kids and the kids just loved it. I'd definitely go again its not far or close but right in the middle for us. Also we used Groupon to get a great rate on the room and I can say we didn't get a bad view just because of it.

Cypress, Texas
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The hotel is modern and spacious. Great value for the money. Large rooms for a family of four with two big screen TV's!
We had three families that went and had a good time at the pool and walking around and eating at the restuarant. We also brought our boat and enjoyed the lake. There was a dock right at the hotel.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We were very cautious going to the hotel based on some of the polarizing reviews. Overall, the hotel is a fine hotel, with some room for improvement. The hotel itself is clean, rooms are spacious, clean, well decorated. the lobby is modern, the spa (we didn't use it) seems modern and very pretty. Food was good at the restaurants and drinks were good at the Pool bar. The pools are awesome, including a kids pool, lazy river, and two additional pools. Great for families and in our case, we went there without the kids (we are planning to go with our kids next time). The service at the pool side is poor or non-existent. I was ok with that, but some people might not be ok with it. The service at the pool bar was great. Some people complaint about shaded areas in the pool and perhaps they could use more umbrellas and fix some that are broken. Chairs at the pool are clean and fairly new. They probably need more side tables to put drinks. The maybe bad is their parking. Uncovered and not paved. If it would be raining or wet I can see how people would complaint if they get their cars dirty. If you get it at the right price, then it is worth it. We got it at $129 per night plus $20 resort fee and taxes. Came out to $169 a night. At that price, it is worth it and with kids, it is a great deal. Will be back soon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 9, 2012

If you are looking for four or five star service, than this is not the place for you. Service was ok but not the best. But who cares? I bought a $139 Groupon and had a fantastic weekend with my family for under $300. This is a great place for families (like mine) with little kids who want an affordable and close (we live in Houston) place to mix up the routine weekend. The pros: affordable, nice rooms (we had a "Tower Suite") with large showers and bathtub and separate bedroom and living room; entertaining aquatic park for young kids. The cons: the grounds are not well kept (missing outdoor floor tiles, faded paint, unkept flower beds). It seems that there is much more supply of facility convention space than there is demand which made it feel like a ghost town in some areas. I think if this hotel is picked up by a major chain, and with a $20-$40 million facelift, than those who expect 4 star service and facilities may feel that their needs are met. Until than, I would go again if I pick up another deal.

1 Thank John M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montgomery
Best Western Lake Conroe Inn
Super 8 Montgomery/ Lake Conroe
Embassy Suites by Hilton The Woodlands at Hughes Landing
La Quinta Inn & Suites Conroe
Fairfield Inn & Suites Houston Conroe Near The WoodlandsR
SpringHill Suites Houston The Woodlands

Been to La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!