“Great Exhibits”

Monahans Sandhills State Park
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Monahans
More attraction details
Owner description: Nearly 4,000 acres of sand dunes with activities including "surfing", camping, hiking, picnicking and bird and wildlife watching.
Flagstaff, Arizona
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Great Exhibits”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Amazing place in that it's got great history. The visitor's center has terrific explanations and displays all about the sand dunes which we found very helpful. The ranger on duty at the time was extremely knowledgeable about the sand dunes.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank Lastrick

Dallas, Texas
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Lots and Lots of sand”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I give it 4 stars but only because it is what it says it is, a bunch of sand hills. Right on the highway in the middle of Texas so it’s convenient if you need to stay somewhere for a night on the way to your destination. Easy to find and not crowded, campsites are level and have a covered picnic table, although if there is any wind at all you won’t be able to cook or eat outside because of the blowing sand that is more like dust. We walked all over this place and never saw anything but sand hills. There were a lot of families camped in groups so it looks like a good destination for family get togethers. Bathrooms and showers were adequate, park was nice and quiet the night we stayed there, like I said lots of kids playing and riding their bikes and I must say they were some of the most respectful well-mannered kids I have run across in a long time. I’ll probably try and visit some other parks when I’m in the area again but if the need arose I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again, if only for a place to sleep.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Jeff M
Wichita Falls, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great For All Ages”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I (age 23) went with my boyfriend and father, and all three of us had a great time walking around on the dunes. I would highly suggest going this time of year. It was 60 degrees outside, and it felt fantastic! We got there at 3:05, and they stop renting the discs to slide on at 3:00, so we weren't able to do that. The cost of admission is $3 a person, and it cost $2.13 to rent a disc for 2 hours, plus extra for any time after. Discs must be returned by 4:00.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Lisa W
Monahans, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Sand!!!!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

I love this place!! If the heat gets to you, go later in the day and its cool. The discs are fun. Its a great place to go with your family for a fun day.

1 Thank BriS0305
League City, Texas
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Play like a kid”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

You must rent a disc & slide around the dunes. It was so funny even on a cold rainy day. Take the time to look around at the headquarters, some cool stuff in there. Prepare to get sandy.

Visited September 2012