“nice place but overpriced”

Comfort Inn & Suites Monahans
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Monahans
Ardmore, Oklahoma
“nice place but overpriced”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Because of a family situation I stayed in Monahans, at this comfortable hotel, for two mid-week nights in July of 2011. It is an all non-smoking newer facility. The rooms are large, well decorated and clean. They have a coffee maker, a microwave and a refrigerator. The bathrooms are also nice. Each room has an iron and ironing board. The included breakfast has a large variety of choices including waffles, bagels, muffins, fresh fruit, eggs, etc. The staff, while not overly friendly, are at least pleasant. The hotel has free wifi in the rooms and a small business center off the lobby with one computer. Though I did not use it the indoor pool looked nice too.

There are very few genuine negatives about this property. The television reception was not good – the rooms have HD television but do not have HD signals. The parking lot is very close to the street, so much so that your view of northbound oncoming traffic is dangerously blocked when exiting from the street on the north side of the property. The hotel has a punitive cancellation policy; if you cancel less than 72 hours of your reservation date you are charged in full. In fairness to them they do explain this over the phone but if your plans changed for some reason you will be out of luck. It was also not the quietest hotel I have ever stayed in.

Overall, however, this is a very nice place. But, it is very expensive, even for the quality of the hotel. We were given the “senior” discount – with taxes our rate for two nights in the middle of the week was almost $300 per room. Comparing the rates of other hotels in Monahans you will find high costs almost everywhere. According to the staff the hotel frequently is 100% occupied; the parking lot was packed both nights we were there. Oil field workers stay here in large numbers. If I owned this hotel and if I could keep it full at this rate I would; I understand that business is business.

Nevertheless if you are traveling down I-20 and can stay a few miles to the east you will find a large number of options in either Odessa or Midland. Because of the competition in those much larger cities you have a greater chance of finding a comparable place for a little, or even a lot, less money. In either of those cities you will also find a much larger variety of places to eat. If, however, like our family, you find that you have to stay in Monahans for some reason and if cost is not important to you, you will like this hotel. Otherwise, I would not stay in this property again.

Room Tip: As the hotel was 100% occupied the night we were there the hotel was not able to honor our requests...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank oksooner1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
El Campo, Texas
Reviewed May 8, 2011

I have been staying at this motel off and on for the last 9 months. The desk clerks are always friendly and helpful. They have been really easy to work with when my schedule requires a change in my reserved stay. I prefer the bedding in Comfort Inn over the next best motel in Monahans. I highly recommend staying at the Monahans Comfort Inn whether just a passing by stay or an extended stay.

Room Tip: I request the top floor in all motels.
Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
DFW
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Worst Hotel in Choice hotel chain I have ever stayed at. Price was in excess of $130 with tax, in a town of limited services and restaurants. Night I stayed, both Hi speed internet and satelite TV service were down (entire night), and was not informed of outage at check in. Save yourself at least $50 and drive to Midland-Odessa, Odessa Comfort Inn and Suites has all the same amenities + indoor pool...you can also use the money you saved at a real restaurant instead of a Dairy Queen.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank TomDFW
TXC21, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Monahans, responded to this review, March 19, 2011
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay. I appreciate you taking the time to advise us of your dissatisfaction. There is never an excuse for providing a valued guest, such as you, with anything less than a perfect experience. During the date of your stay our provider experienced a service outage that affected the internet and cable services. This affected the entire Monahans area. Everyone with this provider experienced this. I hope you can understand that this issue was not under the hotel's control and we kept in constant communication with not only the internet/cable provider, but all of our guests.

We hope that if you return to Monahans you come back to visit us again to see that this is not a normal occurrence and you can enjoy every aspect of your stay. Thank you and safe travels.

Travelers are raving about these Monahans hotels

Ozona, Texas
Reviewed October 30, 2010

I work for oil field service company. I along with my crew have stayed at this hotel on a weekly basis for 1 to 2 nights a week for 3 months now. They have plenty of parking for big rig trucks right next to they hotel with no worries. Fitness room actually has weights and it has a mini-golf course to play around in.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone working around the area or passing through town.

The rooms are always clean, the breakfast is great (way better than huddle house), plus the staff is very friendly and professional.

Thanks again for great stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
Reviewed August 31, 2010

We are Choice Hotel VIP members, we stay at Comfort Inns across the United States, we know what to expect. The first room they put us in had papers with writings on them and toys left in the desk and under the ottoman. We were moved to another room. This one had an elephant above us. We asked to move again and they accomodated us. We then put on our swimsuits to go enjoy the indoor pool and hot tub. My daughter jumped in the pool, came up saying something she shouldn't have, and scrambled out immiediately because it was FRIGID! My mother and I got in the hot tub and it was lukewarm. When we asked about how to turn the temperature up, we were told that it was 95 degrees (yes, lower than body temp.) and that there was no way to raise the temperature. We went back to our room, changed, called Best Western to see if they had a hot hot tub and we left Comfort Inn. At 2:33 a.m. and again at 4:53 a.m. our phone rang in our Best Western hotel room. As NO ONE knew where we were and we have cell phones, and the front desk told us that it was a man asking for my mother by name, we figured it had to be Comfort Inn trying to find where we'd gone to for our three-night stay. This was confirmed when a Comfort Inn staff person called our room, asked for my mother by name, and asked her to come back to finish our stay. When my mother asked how she knew to contact us at Best Western, she said she had been handed a note to call us and do damage control! Again, we've stayed at literally 18 Comfort Inns this summer with all of our traveling across this country and we only had one other bad experience, and nowhere near as absolutely horrible as this experienece in Monahans. Please do NOT go to this hotel. You WILL regret it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank TexasScopist
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 22, 2010

The staff was helpful and caring. The rooms looked like they came out of a travel magazine (Beautiful). The Decorators know a thing or two about fashion and style. There was a pool, hot tub, bussiness center, minature golf, a work out room. The breakfast was supurb. Biscuts and gravy, bacon, sausage, eggs, ceareal, begels, and much more I will stay with them any chance I get. You are the best place I have stayed. Thank you for making my stay above and beyond and be sure to thank the staff for their help and attention.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
College Station, Tx
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Beautiful, classy new hotel. Rooms were large and beds were plush. Great bathroom with lots of storage areas. Flat screen TV's. Frig and microwave. Beautiful, cozy beakfast area with full breakfast; i.e., fresh scrambled eggs, bacon, and biscuits, plus the usual cold cereal and sweet muffins, and yogurt which we hadn't seen at other hotels, bagels, and fresh fruit. Would highly recommend this hotel. The staff was friendly and personable.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business