“Friends do let friends eat catfish!”

Brazos River Catfish Cafe
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Millsap
Cuisines: American
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Take a friend this food is meant to be enjoyed with someone. Fried catfish with good flavor and fried okra are a good combination! Busy place family atmosphere.

1  Thank Linda J
There are newer reviews for Brazos River Catfish Cafe

Reviewed November 16, 2012

For a little restaurant that is open only 4 days a week, this place is fabulous! We like to go after church with a group, or even by ourselves. It has a good laid back atmosphere -- friendly and happy -- and good service. The catfish is my favorite, but they have other things, too, including pies to die for!

1  Thank Margie317
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Recommended by my family as one of the "best catfish restaurants ever", I was excited to have a go. When the opportunity arose a few weeks ago, I jumped on it! The location is very scenic and beautiful, set in the hills and right on the Brazos River, naturally adorned by an old-fashioned metal bridge. The diner itself is quite a charm, boasting an old-time service station feel. In fact, if you read the history on their website, it originally served as a place for gas, groceries and a good 'ol fashioned catfish meal starting in 1940 to travelers. Even today, the place looks the same! When I walked in, the charm of Elvis was everywhere. From as aesthetic view only, this place is rustic and charming! We took our food out - 4 catfish dinners. The taste was wonderful. They had sweet potato fries and baked sweet potato as a fabulous alternative to the basic fried food accoutrements. There were also extensive main entree options like fried frog legs, crayfish, grilled pork chops and grilled chicken. However, it was the homemade pies by the slice and "to order" as well as the homemade green tomato "chow chow" that truly set this place apart. The price, VERY REASONABLE. The service, WONDERFUL.
The only negative mark I have was about my son's meal. My young son is a very picky eater and requested chicken strips and a roll. The chicken portions were VERY tiny. He received two small chicken strips less than 2 1/2 inches long and 1 inch wide. We didn't know this until we arrived back at our home base 35 minutes away so we had little by way of recourse. However, I am confident had we called and complained, the staff would have made it right. This is my reason for a Very Good rating in lieu of Excellent.
Overall, this place has GREAT food, GREAT service, Fabulous menu (a little conservative on the portion sizes), Great personality. If you are driving down Interstate 20 in Texas and want some good fare at a great price with some fabulous personality, I must say I was impressed with Brazos River Catfish Cafe!

1  Thank Nikki W