“It's not a bad place but there are better places to stay.”

Grand Texan Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #37 of 46 Hotels in Midland
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

The lobby is very nice rustic decor. It smelled like curry with the Indian restaurant there. I'm not a fan of the food or smell so that threw me off. The lady who checked us in was very nice and would joke around which I like. The rooms were small but newly redone. I was told that I ha a room that was part of there remodeling. It was fairly nice. The bed was new and a little soft. The wifi? Was worthless. Could not get logged in no matter how hard I tried. The lady who worked nights was of no help what so ever. The outside needs to be cleaned up. It's a older hotel they are doing work on. It wasn't bad but there are better places to stay. I prefer not to stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Grand Texan H, General Manager at Grand Texan Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. We have contracted with a new WiFi vendor and the troubles you experienced no longer occur. As you stated, our property is in the midst of a complete renovation and refurbishment. We sincerely thank you for your feedback and hope that each time you are in the Midland area you choose to stay with us. Thanks again!
Lillian Reed

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I'm not a big review but I have to give credit! we were here a few years ago and not the best time. this year it was a complete 180 degree change. hey said a new owner toke over. they had big breakfast and a great pizza joint at night! evn thou my brother lost us the game, but the huge spiral waterslide in their pool made us forget all about it. the people were nice so I want them to know they were really nice.

Room Tip: Bring your swim shorts!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jay M
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We booked through Expedia to find when we arrived that the great expedia deal was in fact over 20% more than if we had booked directly with the hotel. Midland is in the middle of a boom so you can expect to pay way too much for way too little I think. The hotels in the area rely on the long term bookings to house company employees sent in and out of the city. I think that maybe the reason there is not the attention being paid to the upkeep and appearance of the building.

The staff were very helpful and accommodating but they were expected to wear outfits that were looking worn and shabby- maybe that was in keeping with the rest of the building.

Our first room was on the ground floor - the exterior looked pretty shabby- reminiscent of some small strip motel. It faced a large car dealership where there were frequent voices over the intercom drifitng across to the hotel. - the room had an off putting smell and as soon as the heat was turned off -it set off the smoke detector. They relocated us to another "executive" room. These rooms face in towards the middle of the buidling so there is no source of natural light (or air). The room was in much better condition.

The hotel is a large convention centre so at the time we stayed - it was almost empty -it felt abandoned and desolate and dark - as I suppose would most empty convention centres. It felt run down. There is limited choice of eating in the area if you are without a car as we were as we were flying out the next day. The Indian food menu was expensive but the pizzas were terrific.

All in all - given the prices of hotels in Midland -it is not a tourist destination nor are tourists the market that is being catered to.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first before completing check in
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TorontoJandC
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Two years ago me and my husband came to midland for a family vaction or more like a family reunion and our family had put us up in this hotel well walking in i thought nice but once we got inside i was upset how could they do this to me put me up in a upscale roach hotel well the stay was not that great well two years later im in town for business and i could not find a hotel in midland to save my life well i thought about this hotel and i said to to hell with it im sleepy and i have a meeting at 8 in the morning i pull up and i had to do a double take it looked different as i walked in i seen smiling faces and a new look of the hotel completly so i said ok the lady lacey and tomika was wonderful very helpful and just all out the best made me feel welcome now i was put in one of their newly renovated room and when i walked in it was a big change from the old i said to myself WOW AMAMZING im just gonna say to the staff and owners at the hotel keep up the good work and good things will come cause they have turned that hotel from rags to riches.

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room VERY NICE
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Nicole B
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We too rented here for the convenience of the Convention Ctr being right next to this Hotel....WRONG CHOICE!!!! Upon arrival we walked in to check-in the the front desk clerk was RUDE!!!!! As we made our way to the room, the parking lot was trashy, side door entrance parking lot to hotel was dirty littered with trash , trail of white paint served as our guide to upstairs area. Keep in mind that construction and renovations are being made at this time but come on now this place is the dumps. I had reserved two rooms with a weeks worth in advance with a communication door come to find out when the other party arrived they were NOT given the room next to mine but 4 doors done. So your requests are not honored. Now to the A/C situation they have none!!!!! no matter how low you set the freaking thermostat and I put it down to 60 you will not get any cold air. An oscilating fan was provided in the room but dang thing made more noise that what it was blowing air and mind you that it had the front part of the fan taken off nowhere to be found so the blade was exposed and I had children. There is a sense of security though.......NOT!!!! something was going down on the floor beneath us because the front dest clerk was walking up to a room with 2 police officers, how I'd wish I'd reveiwed this HO-tel before renting here.....So we go to check-out again we are greeted with another clerk this one was worse by far....never were we greeted by this extention, fake hair clerk or thanked for our business. AGAING PEOPLE DO THE RESEARCH BEFORE DON'T RENT HERE THIS HOTEL TRULY SUCKS!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2012

An associate and I came here for business. We had poor luck with previous hotels in Midland but this place looked different and was more expensive. It WASN'T any different than the rest of this town! They have wheel barrows around most exits which are used as trashcans. The rooms won't go below 73F no matter what you turn your thermostat to. The televisions flicker and are vintage 1990. The only part worse than the hotel, trash, and rooms, is the staff, all of whom act like you owe them something.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We just had a family reunion here because they were going to have all the rooms renovated before our stay. Construction was still ongoing during our stay and not all rooms were ready. My room had blood spots on the box mattress fringe. Several of our group were requesting room changes due to various broken ac/tv/shower issues or smelly sheets. The hotel staff were obviously not used to such "picky" customers. We had a group discount at $75 per room but this place normally rents out at $140 per night. Stay far far away. You'd have a nicer experience sleeping in your car

• Stayed: July 2012