“Nice place in Midland”

SpringHill Suites Midland Odessa
Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in Midland
Reviewed March 9, 2014

The Springhill Suites- Midland seems relatively new. It's located in a cluster of newer hotels. The check-in process was quick and efficient.

The room was fairly large - actually very large. It had separate rooms for the shower and toilet. Everything seems fairly new and clean. Large screen TV with a good choice of channels.

We checked out early in the morning so didn't get a chance to try out the breakfast bar. They were just setting it up as we were leaving but it looked like they had a good selection to choose from.

The hotel is in Midland - which automatically means high prices due to the economic boom. The room with tax was ~$275/night.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Jamie W, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Midland Odessa, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review and for the great comments! I'm pleased to hear that we met your expectations. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Jamie Wargo

Reviewed March 7, 2014

WOW, one of the newest and nicest hotels in Midland that isn't at a premium price.... When I walked into the spacious, well-appointed lobby area it screamed sophistication! Most tastefully done modern decor..
The room was as big as a New York apartment with a separate toilet area and a separate shower/grooming area (I wanted to take the mirror home). The decor was "cool". The room clean and with a lovely sitting and work area. Microwave and frig included...
Two individual reading lights above the bed
Noticed a lovely bar and eating area...
Didn't get a chance to use the gym area
5-stars all the way!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2014

If you are traveling to Midland/Odessa Texas, book your room early. There is definitely a shortage of rooms in the area. This hotel helped us out of a bad situation. The hotel is new and very nice. The exercise room is one of the best we have found anywhere. But the staff is quite helpful and really tries to please. The hotel has a bar. Breakfast is great. Rooms are quite spacious. Book early and stay here.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2014

This is a new hotel and is therefore very comfortable. Unfortunately the hotel has little effective management and terrible customer service. A myriad of things were wrong during my stay and none were corrected. On the coldest day of the year in Midland the air conditioning was on in the hotel lobby. The staff could not shut it off because the manager had the keys. I never received clean glasses in my room after the first night despite asking for them. Linen service was spotty at best, too. The workout facility had no wipes to clean the machine and the bottled water was actually refilled tap water (which is undrinkable). The outside fire pit does not work and no one cared to try and repair it during my stay. Lastly, the lights were inoperative in the business center and were never repaired either.
Bottom line, the hotel is pleasant because it is new. How long it will stay pleasant is a function of how the management's ineptitude.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed December 13, 2013

As a previous reviewer has said, this is not the cheapest place in town. This is a new hotel and for your money you get a spacious room with a separate toilet and sitting area, comfortable bed and good bathroom. The staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a partially developed estate with limited footpaths for walking and limited restaurants for eating. The things letting down this hotel for us were (i) the towels are very small (ii) the sliding doors on the bathroom and toilet are so heavy they are difficult to open/shut (iii) the breakfast is very basic and (iv) for most of our stay the hot water/coffee pots in the lounge area were empty. With a bit more attention to detail this could be a great hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Overall I’m a fan of Springhill Suites hotels because the layout generally feels very comfortable. I stayed in a King suite at Springhill Suites Midland for a long weekend for $103/night (AAA rate).

PROS:

- Good layout with desk/divider separating bed and sitting area.

- New hotel. Very clean and attractive, both the room and lobby area.

- Hot breakfast with some healthy options at no charge.

- Price. At $103/night, it was reasonable.

- Large walk-in shower.

CONS:

- Smoke detector over bed has very bright green light that flashes at 4-second intervals.** There is more detail on this below as this was a HUGE negative for me and the first time I've ever experienced this issue in any hotel.

- “Kitchenette” area – I much prefer the layout in other Springhill Suites where there is a small sink and slightly larger counter in this area. I personally do use the sink and having to use the sinks in the bathrooms wasn’t as convenient.

- “Toilet” area – this hotel had a very large separate room for the toilet, which is kind of nice I guess but the handwash sink was tiny and the mirror was not very usable as it was split along the corner walls. Hard to describe, but it was odd. I’m guessing this is why there was no sink in the kitchenette area. I'd much rather have the kitchenette sink than a separate room/sink for the toilet!

- As another reviewer mentioned, there weren't drawers for your clothes. I always use the drawers when staying at a hotel and I missed having them.

ABOUT THAT SMOKE DETECTOR!
** I couldn’t get to sleep the first night because of the smoke detector light. I don’t consider myself a light sleeper at all, but I do like to sleep in a dark room and the constant *flashing* of the light (just at the foot of the bed) made it even more annoying. I ended up with a pillow completely over my head to block out the light. Figured there must be something wrong and alerted front desk first thing in the morning. When I got back that night, the clerk knew about it but said it was normal and didn’t think anything had been done. I went up and thought it looked better (maybe they had changed the batteries and that was the problem?) but, alas, when it was completely dark outside and time for bed, the light was just as bright as always. To me it felt like lightning or a camera flash was going off above me every 4 seconds. Again, slept with a pillow over my head. The next (and last) night I was determined to get a good night’s sleep and ended up sticking a big wad of gum (!) over the flashing light which worked great. Yes, I removed it in the morning. 

A web search finds other reviewers having trouble with these smoke detector lights in other Springhill Suites, so I'm not the only one. In those cases, the managers are saying it’s fire code and there’s nothing they can do about the unfortunate placement of these smoke detectors. I think they should consider changing them out to something that has a softer, less disrupting light if that is the case.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dognamedrudy
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I really was excited to stay at this hotel after all of the good reviews.
The room was large as well as the hotel common areas. The lobby is modern and spacious. The hallways are wide and there is plenty of room to get by the housekeeping carts when the staff is attending to the rooms.

I liked the room and the hotel. I think it is great for just a few nights but i do not recommend for long stays. i will stay again if the price remains competitive. With just a few simple fixes, this hotel could be quite good.
I didn't have time to visit the bar and I did see quite a large group of people having a good time.

Pros:
Large Room with living area.
more than enough outlets to charge mobile devices
separate bathroom
2 washers and 2 dryers (25 cents per load)

Cons:
-The bathroom with the large walk-in shower only has 1 towel hook for wet towels
no bench in the shower
-The bathroom with the toilet has a very small sink and a "wonky" split mirror design
-There is an HVAC vent near the door that is not controlled by the thermostat on the wall. I did discover that it runs the HVAC unit near the window. So the cold air blowing in the vent by the door is causing the heater to run on the other side of the room.
-No dresser as commonly found in most hotels, but there are some very small drawers in the wardrobe.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple