“Overall very good but the smoke detector makes it hard to sleep.”

SpringHill Suites Midland Odessa
Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in Midland
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Overall I’m a fan of Springhill Suites hotels because the layout generally feels very comfortable. I stayed in a King suite at Springhill Suites Midland for a long weekend for $103/night (AAA rate).

PROS:

- Good layout with desk/divider separating bed and sitting area.

- New hotel. Very clean and attractive, both the room and lobby area.

- Hot breakfast with some healthy options at no charge.

- Price. At $103/night, it was reasonable.

- Large walk-in shower.

CONS:

- Smoke detector over bed has very bright green light that flashes at 4-second intervals.** There is more detail on this below as this was a HUGE negative for me and the first time I've ever experienced this issue in any hotel.

- “Kitchenette” area – I much prefer the layout in other Springhill Suites where there is a small sink and slightly larger counter in this area. I personally do use the sink and having to use the sinks in the bathrooms wasn’t as convenient.

- “Toilet” area – this hotel had a very large separate room for the toilet, which is kind of nice I guess but the handwash sink was tiny and the mirror was not very usable as it was split along the corner walls. Hard to describe, but it was odd. I’m guessing this is why there was no sink in the kitchenette area. I'd much rather have the kitchenette sink than a separate room/sink for the toilet!

- As another reviewer mentioned, there weren't drawers for your clothes. I always use the drawers when staying at a hotel and I missed having them.

ABOUT THAT SMOKE DETECTOR!
** I couldn’t get to sleep the first night because of the smoke detector light. I don’t consider myself a light sleeper at all, but I do like to sleep in a dark room and the constant *flashing* of the light (just at the foot of the bed) made it even more annoying. I ended up with a pillow completely over my head to block out the light. Figured there must be something wrong and alerted front desk first thing in the morning. When I got back that night, the clerk knew about it but said it was normal and didn’t think anything had been done. I went up and thought it looked better (maybe they had changed the batteries and that was the problem?) but, alas, when it was completely dark outside and time for bed, the light was just as bright as always. To me it felt like lightning or a camera flash was going off above me every 4 seconds. Again, slept with a pillow over my head. The next (and last) night I was determined to get a good night’s sleep and ended up sticking a big wad of gum (!) over the flashing light which worked great. Yes, I removed it in the morning. 

A web search finds other reviewers having trouble with these smoke detector lights in other Springhill Suites, so I'm not the only one. In those cases, the managers are saying it’s fire code and there’s nothing they can do about the unfortunate placement of these smoke detectors. I think they should consider changing them out to something that has a softer, less disrupting light if that is the case.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dognamedrudy

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I really was excited to stay at this hotel after all of the good reviews.
The room was large as well as the hotel common areas. The lobby is modern and spacious. The hallways are wide and there is plenty of room to get by the housekeeping carts when the staff is attending to the rooms.

I liked the room and the hotel. I think it is great for just a few nights but i do not recommend for long stays. i will stay again if the price remains competitive. With just a few simple fixes, this hotel could be quite good.
I didn't have time to visit the bar and I did see quite a large group of people having a good time.

Pros:
Large Room with living area.
more than enough outlets to charge mobile devices
separate bathroom
2 washers and 2 dryers (25 cents per load)

Cons:
-The bathroom with the large walk-in shower only has 1 towel hook for wet towels
no bench in the shower
-The bathroom with the toilet has a very small sink and a "wonky" split mirror design
-There is an HVAC vent near the door that is not controlled by the thermostat on the wall. I did discover that it runs the HVAC unit near the window. So the cold air blowing in the vent by the door is causing the heater to run on the other side of the room.
-No dresser as commonly found in most hotels, but there are some very small drawers in the wardrobe.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Very nice hotel. Good service and friendly staff. Rooms were large and quiet. Not too much around the hotel, but if you're in midland it's not to be kept occupied by social things anyway. Oil money helps out here as well as its not exactly the cheapest place in town. One of the better Marriott breakfasts I've had in a while as well.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The hotel is new and clean, and we had a nice group rate for wedding attendees. I found the arrangement within the room to be odd. The bathroom facilities were split into two rooms, and neither room had a lock. One room had a tub with shower and a high counter with sink. A completely separate room had the toilet and a very small pedestal sink for hand washing. Another thing I did not like was that none of the places where I wanted to lay my suitcase had adequate lighting to actually assist me to find items in my bag.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We travel to Midland about every three weeks to check on a family member. Have been doing this for about 3years. This is by far the best place to stay if you don't need a full kitchen. I love, love, love staying here. Jessica in the bar is very friendly. Good breakfast. Clean rooms. Very relaxing place to stay.

Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

On business for a couple of days and the hotel served its purpose. Very clean, free internet in the room to get some work done and the breakfast had many choices. Already have the hotel reserved for my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank RobWam
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is the third Springhill I have stayed at in the last month. While all were nice, this brand new hotel was the nicest Springhill I have ever stayed in. The rooms are great with a desk and sofa separated from the beds by a half wall. My wife and I could sit up reading on the sofa while the kids went to sleep.
While we didn't swim, the pool looked great, especially for a Springhill.
I highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family