Overall I’m a fan of Springhill Suites hotels because the layout generally feels very comfortable. I stayed in a King suite at Springhill Suites Midland for a long weekend for $103/night (AAA rate).
- Good layout with desk/divider separating bed and sitting area.
- New hotel. Very clean and attractive, both the room and lobby area.
- Hot breakfast with some healthy options at no charge.
- Price. At $103/night, it was reasonable.
- Large walk-in shower.
- Smoke detector over bed has very bright green light that flashes at 4-second intervals.** There is more detail on this below as this was a HUGE negative for me and the first time I've ever experienced this issue in any hotel.
- “Kitchenette” area – I much prefer the layout in other Springhill Suites where there is a small sink and slightly larger counter in this area. I personally do use the sink and having to use the sinks in the bathrooms wasn’t as convenient.
- “Toilet” area – this hotel had a very large separate room for the toilet, which is kind of nice I guess but the handwash sink was tiny and the mirror was not very usable as it was split along the corner walls. Hard to describe, but it was odd. I’m guessing this is why there was no sink in the kitchenette area. I'd much rather have the kitchenette sink than a separate room/sink for the toilet!
- As another reviewer mentioned, there weren't drawers for your clothes. I always use the drawers when staying at a hotel and I missed having them.
ABOUT THAT SMOKE DETECTOR!
** I couldn’t get to sleep the first night because of the smoke detector light. I don’t consider myself a light sleeper at all, but I do like to sleep in a dark room and the constant *flashing* of the light (just at the foot of the bed) made it even more annoying. I ended up with a pillow completely over my head to block out the light. Figured there must be something wrong and alerted front desk first thing in the morning. When I got back that night, the clerk knew about it but said it was normal and didn’t think anything had been done. I went up and thought it looked better (maybe they had changed the batteries and that was the problem?) but, alas, when it was completely dark outside and time for bed, the light was just as bright as always. To me it felt like lightning or a camera flash was going off above me every 4 seconds. Again, slept with a pillow over my head. The next (and last) night I was determined to get a good night’s sleep and ended up sticking a big wad of gum (!) over the flashing light which worked great. Yes, I removed it in the morning.
A web search finds other reviewers having trouble with these smoke detector lights in other Springhill Suites, so I'm not the only one. In those cases, the managers are saying it’s fire code and there’s nothing they can do about the unfortunate placement of these smoke detectors. I think they should consider changing them out to something that has a softer, less disrupting light if that is the case.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your SpringHill Suites Midland Odessa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.