“Likely the worst Hampton I've ever stayed in”

Hampton Inn Midland
Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Midland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston
“Likely the worst Hampton I've ever stayed in”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I've lost count of the number of Hampton Inn's I've stayed in over the years. This one is memorable for all of the bad reasons. Granted they were in the middle of renovating the lobby when I stayed here, but that doesn't excuse the issues.

Lobby

The lobby was essentially a construction zone and the front desk/eating area was set up in what I think was a conference room. Friendly staff, but a less than efficient check in since they only had one computer. Also there is only one elevator, so it can get cramped or wait your turn.

Rooms

Rooms are very comfortable and good size. It's the typical new Hampton design, so nothing out of the ordinary. My only gripe is that the AC unit is sleep disturbingly loud.

The food was abysmal - pure and simple. The hot oatmeal was cold one morning. The eggs barely resembled eggs. I'd say go somewhere else, but unfortunately Midland doesn't have too many options around there for breakfast. If you can find a not-too-smushy banana, eat that and get an early lunch. The managers reception had mediocre chicken wings and a case of Bud Light, wine, and soft drinks available.

I won't hold it against them too much, I mean every hotel in Midland is over priced because of the oil boom. But we paid about $260 a night here and it was worth maybe what a Motel 6 is worth.

Overview

I hope to not stay here again. If you want to stay Hilton, there is a Hilton Garden Inn that's newer and not under construction. Interestingly, they failed to call me for my wake up call. That was a first for me in any hotel I've stayed in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TXBizTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Arizona, United States
Reviewed March 5, 2014

My wife, my 5 year-old, my 2-year old, and I stayed here during a cross-country drive. The suite with the king bed was large enough for all of us. My 5-year old slept in the pull-out, and there was a large area where we set up our playpen. With a full-sized fridge and a microwave, the room had everything we needed to keep milk cold and to heat up snacks for the kids. My only complaint about the room is that the hotel doesn't have a crib/playpen. Fortunately, we had packed one, but I've never stayed at a Hampton Inn that didn't have one, and thus we had packed our playpen in such a way that it was challenging to dig out of the minivan. Breakfast was a plus, offering waffles that my 5 year-old loved, while offering healthier options, such as oatmeal with lots of fixings and yogurts for my wife and I. The lady in the breakfast room was very nice and helpful

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Amarillo, TX, United States
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The wife and I stayed at the Midland Hampton Inn when we went to Midland to visit our grandson. The motel aided in our having a great weekend. Room was comfortable, breakfast was good, service was good and items were frequently refilled with hot items. No complaints at all.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Oklahoma City, United States
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This hotel is mid-range average and is way too expensive for what you get. It is an older hotel and could use room upgrades. Air conditioner is loud, water pressure is weak, but the coffee was good. Never could get logged onto the internet and others in my group had the same issue.

3 Thank Shannon F
Clearwater Beach, FL, United States
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Overall, this was just a typical hotel experience. There was nothing in particular that made this feel like anything above and beyond. The pricing for the this hotel is outrageous, but I heard that is typical of the area for some reason. It is not easy to control the room temperature since there is no thermostat, rather just a dial with red/blue on the actual wall mounted HVAC unit under the window. Also worth noting, nothing bad occurred either.

1 Thank Joshua S
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This hotel is a standard Hampton Inn. The common areas have been recently remodeled and upgraded. What stands out for me from personal experience is the staff service. During my one night stay I got extremely ill overnight in my room. When one travels for business, there is really nothing worse than that. The staff could not have been more helpful with my requests. Tabitha from the front desk brought me up a purchased Sprite and dry toast from the breakfast area. Gloria from housekeeping cheerfully cleaned up an awful bathroom and gave me fresh towels and soap as I requested and even refilled my ice bucket for me. Afternoon front desk staff accommodated my need to stay over an extra night and made arrangements for super early airport transportation for me. Hope from the front desk came up to help me with my luggage at 4 a.m. when the shuttle driver arrived. For someone in my condition, the TLC received from the staff really made me feel cared for, when I was having trouble caring for myself. And they all did it with a pleasant attitude. To me, this is the mark of an outstanding staff.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Comfortable hotel with good north side location. Newly remodeled lobby and breakfast area. Not a bad value considering the high prices in the area due to the oil boom. The staff is very accommodating.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business