“Lock, double lock and bolt your room door...”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Midland
Ranked #18 of 45 Hotels in Midland
Texas
“Lock, double lock and bolt your room door...”
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Lock, double lock and bolt your room door or else the staff will let strangers in your room. Stayed at the property on 8/8/10 everythin OK until 3am when someone with a keycard tried to enter our room. When we questioned the front desk clerk she said that man, who she knew was drunk, said he" was supposed to be in our room and he had same first name as my husband". Security is non existent and staff was not concerned about incident.

3 Thank texasseadog

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed July 29, 2010

The hotel is right off the freeway, which was convenient for us. The desk clerk was friendly and helpful. Our room was spacious and comfortable, but we were right next to the stairway. We could hear people pounding up and down all night. Part of the problem was that a girls' soccer team was staying there the same night. They contributed to a lot of the stairwell noise and slamming doors. (And they also wiped out the cookies in the lobby every time they went through.) It would have been nice to be put in a room away from that group. The breakfast is good, with waffles, sausage, eggs, etc. One TA review said that they had Texas-shaped waffles, which we were really looking forward to. Alas, the waffle maker was round. The employee manning the breakfast buffet was friendly and quick to refill things when we asked. The hotel next door is rundown and scary, but we just parked away from it. I don't plan on being in Midland often, but I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank emmahero
Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We traveled to Midland for one night. My husband does a lot of business there. The hotel was newer and clean. The staff was for the most part courteous. My daughters were sleeping on the sofa couch, but only one pillow was provided and no blanket. I called down and asked for an extra blanket and pillow. Twenty minutes later they called back and told me to check the closet...I explained that all I found was one pillow. The caller was not friendly, just hung up. Ten minutes later a very friendly guy showed up with what we requested. By the way, I ordered a pizza from Dominoes and got it faster than the pillow and blanket. There was no information about the hotel or the town in the room. The TV did not have any kind of guide nor did it have the option to rent a movie. The complimentary breakfast was decent. The location of the hotel was not great. The hotel next to it, is a little scary. My husband was approached it the parking lot by some thugs asking him to but a theatre system. Overall, a clean place to stay, but not some place you would want to leave your room.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Berstory
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We had a good experience here. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The breakfast is very good, and the staff was friendly and accomodating. For the price, I don't think you will find better in the Midland/Odessa area. One suggestion for the hotel - the down comforters are too warm for west Texas in the summer. Need lighter blankets on the beds.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank p_m01
St. George, UT
Reviewed June 15, 2010

The staff was more friendly and accomodating than in any hotel we have EVER stayed at.
It is new and clean, and the breakfast is good. The price cannot be beaten in Midland, unless you stay at one of the older rundown hotels in the bad part of town (I-20 Business). They also serve fresh-baked cookies in the lobby ALL day. We were very impressed with the accomodations and the service and would most definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Speedreader
West Texas USA
Reviewed June 11, 2010

The staff here was great, very helpful. The hotel appeared clean. However, I found a roach in my room the first day of my stay. By that evening, my room had been visited by the exterminator and I did not see any more bugs the rest of the week. Still, that's a pretty strong ick factor! I'd be inclined to try another hotel if I were going back to Midland.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Suburb of Houston
Reviewed May 7, 2010

We stayed here, based on Tripadvisor reviews, as the first and last leg of our trip to Big Bend, flying from Houston. The hotel is 9 miles out of town. We waited 15 minutes in line to check in the first night but breezed right in on the return trip. The first room was nice enough. After we got settled in they called to offer us a free upgrade - but it was an empty gesture as we had already gotten settled in. So we asked them to give it to us on our return trip a few days later. To their credit, they remembered when we checked back in. However, the upgrade room was a problem. The a/c blew loudly and directly on our faces in bed. Just down the hall they had rented rooms to workers, and there were so many in each room that the guys were basically hanging out in the hallway. I felt for the guys but we could hear them through our door. The first night there was no channel guide for the tv and the last night it was wrong. As for the breakfast, yes, everything is there, eggs, bacon, sausage, do-it-yourself waffles, yogurt, cereal, juice, fruit, and pastries. But it just wasn't very good, not for $150 a night.

I will not stay there again.

PS there really isn't anything besides fast food in Midland. I've since heard that you can get something good to eat in Odessa, just down the road (speed limit 80, so it takes no time at all).

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple