“Fine Dining in Midland”

Ranked #7 of 298 Restaurants in Midland
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed her birthday dinner at Garlic Press last evening. The menu changes periodically, so we had to try new dishes - duck breast schnitzel and grilled swordfish. I chose escargot as my appetizer. I prefer how Garlic Press prepares escargot by serving them on filo dough with a light sauce rather than bathing and saturating the escargot in butter. The porcini and bacon egg rolls balanced the flavors of the two main ingredients in my wife's appetizer. The swordfish presented the perfect texture and flavor. Swordfish can easily become dry, but it was perfectly cooked. I did not know what to expect when I ordered the duck breast. Yes, it was prepared as a schnitzel with a crunchy crust and a delicious white wine based sauce. The crust intruded on the flavor of the duck breast, but I did enjoy it. Service was attentive without being intrusive. The only annoyance was a large noisey party in the main dining room which I wish had been seated in the banquet room. We always choose Garlic for special occassions. I already booked the Christmas lunch for my staff at the Garlic Press.

1  Thank BillM551

Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

I chose to eat here last night due to others reviews. This restaurant is fantastic for Midland! I had the filet with lobster truffle butter which came with risotto cakes and green beans - it was by far the best meal I've had in midland, Texas. The steak was cooked great, it was a good cut of meat, the flavor profile of the lobster truffle butter pairs excellent with the filet and risotto - just a great combination.

We had ahi tuna for an appetizer - it was a pretty presentation but the taste and quality of fish just wasn't there - however - we eat excellent sushi at least once a week at a sushi restaurant so we are very judgmental on this aspect.

The wine selection lacks in upper end wines but lets face it - we are in Midland! I've read some review complaints and the variables are not being taken in consideration - we are not in New York or LA!

The place is a tad tight as far as seating arrangements so others conversations may overlap with yours but this is definitely not a deal breaker.

Great place to eat! Really cool ceiling!!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

went for valentines day and the service was exceptional and food was outstasnding. had a great selection of beers i had never tried will definatly go back!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Complimentary bread that comes with roasted garlic and butter was the perfect amount of outside crunchiness and inside tenderness. Ask for one of Micah's tables!

Reviewed July 7, 2012

From the time you entered until you left . I felt like I was being constantly interrupted about the food. I mean let me enjoy and savour the moment of the food of choice. Difficult to get into but still had to sit at an angle . will not go back because of this.

Been to The Garlic Press? Share your experiences!