“Middle of the Road for a Hilton”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Midland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 5, 2007

Stayed here for a few nights in December '06. It's certainly considered the nicest hotel in town and it has solid facilities -- clean, comfortable rooms, nice lobby, hotel bar, etc.

The biggest downside isn't their fault, but there's ongoing construction all around the hotel. Traffic's so light in Midland it doesn't reall affect your travel, but it does make the area look ugly and brings a lot of noise that could affect your sleep.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank WkndWarrior

Reviewed March 6, 2007

I would not call this place a dump, but it's close. I cannot imagine how it has kept its Hilton branding. Filthy stained sheets [yikes!] our first night; unrepaired items in the bathroom; and an outdated in room a/c louder than anything in the cheapest of motels. It looks like a high rise downtown hotel from the outside, but don't be deceived. And if you do stay there, do everything possible to stay on the north side [not just the north tower, but the north side of the north tower] to stay away from the railroad tracks that seem like they are right outside the room. Stay away!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank rcmax29
Reviewed January 25, 2007

I am with a company that books 5000 seminars a year and we had actually been to this hotel 33 times. Absolutely loved it up until 1/25/07. The hotel was hosting our meeting as they usually do, but this time they mixed our paperwork up between our 1/25 meeting and 3/16 meeting and set our room entirely wrong. Our speaker who is a VERY PROFESSIONAL guy went to his room and started moving the room to make it correct and he had help from the banquet staff and they got the room rearranged and all seemed fine. The sales person called our company spoke with a co worker of mine and she was told that b/c we sent the wrong paperwork the room was incorrect the speaker was rude and they are not hosting anymore of our meetings. We talked to them and saved our meeting (we thought we did). The next day the sales person faxes us (not called) faxed us our signed legal paper work with a huge cancelled stamped across the front. One of the papers was the 3/16 paperwork that they used to set up our 1/25 meeting incorrectly. I spoke with the GM he aggreed to do the meetings that we had the legal binding contracts for, but nothing after that. It is funny that out of the 33 meetings we have had, he really didn't care about our business. If the paperwork was done correctly this would not have happened. Guess the customer doesn't matter this time!

3  Thank CCE_Hotels
Reviewed January 25, 2007

I was put in a room by the train noise in the south tower, I asked to be moved, and was meet by night staff being very rude, had to talk to the manager and, then eventually the manager over the hotel, then moved me to a room across the hall that shared the wall with the elevator shaft, all night I heard DING... The manager quoted " You are not the only diamond member that stays here" I had resevations for a month in advanced for the executive level, and he quoted "we can't gurantee a room" ROOM SERVICE terriable ,spent $20 veggies not cooked all the way, potatoes were bland when asked if I coudl have rice instead they said it would be an extra charge. When asked to cheak me out and put the bill under the door at night, It did not happen. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!

2  Thank sanangelok
Reviewed January 24, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel about a dozen times while on business trips in Midland. It is the only full service hotel in Midland. By full service I mean, restaurants, bars, exercise room, pool, hot tub, spa, small gift shop, coffee cafe. It is in downtown and is very convenient to some good restaurant. I have heard the train sometime when I stay there, but during this last stay I never heard it after 11:00 pm. I was on the 8th floor in the North tower. The train is definitely louder in the South tower.

Good news about the train! The noise dampening retaining wall is being built. Train noise, which has not been an issue for me, should not be an issue for anyone very soon!

It's a nice place to stay. The beds are comfortable, heating/cooling works well and they receive a lot of TV channels. The bathroom is kind of small but it is nicely appointed and there is plenty of space next to the sink.

The staff is always incredibly friendly and accomodating. The good definitely outweighs the bad - so I continue to choose the Hilton when visiting Midland.

3  Thank friofrio
Reviewed October 6, 2006

I stayed for several nights at this Hilton in between trips to New Mexcio, on my 2nd stay I was upgraded to the Concierge level with a balcony which was excellent, but all in all, even the basic rooms are great but.................................the train noise is a MAJOR problem, and I got very little sleep.
I am staying there again in a fortnight and will be taking a sleeping tablet.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 11, 2006

I end up staying at the Midland Hilton about 15 nights a year, and I can tell you that it is quite unremarkable. It is your typical mid-sized Hilton built in the 70's or early 80's, with a very recent renovation. Midland, for those of you that don't know, is a mid-sized town that used to be one of the centers of the oil trade way back when. With oil prices being what they are, it is again a center of oil and gas for West Texas. Hilton built this hotel to cater to the oil crowd (300+ rooms!). The renovation has done poorly, with a bad paint job and some really tacky yellow doors and corridors. The food is absolutely horrible! Of course, they have the normal fare of fried foods and salads, but they have the 100% worst steak in the country, which is surprising considering their location in cattle country. They have a fine dining restaurant, Chez, which is to be avoided at all costs...just a bunch of frozen entrees and wilted salads. if you want good food, head on over to the Wall Street Bar and Grill, just about 1 block from the hotel. That being said, the furniture is excellent (Hilton Beds!), the Mahagony Bar is a great place, and the Ali Bubba bar, located above the entry portico, is a great place to have a drink and wind down at the end of the day. The lobby is really nice, albeit a mixture of 70's and new designs. However, there isn't a lot in Midland/Odessa, so this Hotel is a great value...sometimes can be found for less than $75/night! I stay there, and would recommend it to anyone visiting Midland.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business