“All Hilton Properties in Midland a Bust!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in Midland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I stayed at the Midland Hilton on a Thursday night expecting to stay the next week. I canceled my reservation after that evening. Upon arrival the lobby is outdated and the staff was not overly welcoming. The doors to the rooms are a nice florescent lime-green (lol) and the hallways are not air conditioned (easily over 90 degrees).

The Bad: Supposedly the room has been updated in this decade, could have fooled me. The carpet was thread-bare and stained. The A/C unit was HUGE, loud, and easily came into the room about 3 ½ feet. The bathroom is small and the drain had no cover on it, showing the mildew in its full glory. When I used the shower water shot all over the wall and ceiling. The water hitting the ceiling was damaging the tasteful pop-corn texture and staining it. The hotel charges for parking. Give me a break! Tell them you don’t have a car, they don’t take any vehicle information and there’s no barrier to the garage. Save yourself $4.99 (weird price). The lot is almost always full anyway so you’ll be wasting your money.

The Good: The bed is very soft and comfortable. The fitness center is nice with Precore Equipment. The manager’s reception on the club level was decent and the breakfast in the morning was decent.

Overall, I would not stay here again. This hotel needs to be gutted and updated or lose the Hilton branding. I really hope another hotel comes to downtown Midland so maybe the Hilton will offer a little more. Make the drive to the loop hotels (except the Hampton)… much newer, much nicer.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank KevinTexas

Reviewed April 29, 2009

Even though I'd previously had an experience at this hotel that was way below Hilton brand standards, I decided to give it another try (partially because the options for full service hotels in Midland are very limited). Although this stay didn't involve outright service failures, as a previous stay did -- in fact, this time, the service was very good -- this property is in pretty bad shape.

The hotel just isn't in good condition -- in the public areas, hallways, and rooms, there are evident signs of wear and tear everywhere. My room (a suite) had stained furniture, tired linens, a chunk of the wall that was crumbling, soiled carpet, scratched vanity, lousy shower head, etc. Although there are multiple attempts at patching evident, the hotel needs a complete overhaul and hasn't received one in quite some time. The entire place feels old and not very well maintained.

The one bright spot is a well-equipped fitness center.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank brmusicman
Reviewed February 15, 2009

Although it looked nice on the outside, the inside is another story. You could instantly tell this hotel was in dire need of updating. Popcorn ceilings throughout, cracked walls and baseboards, musty smell, 70's decor, etc.

My wife and I spent Valentine's evening at this hotel. We ventured to the restaurant only to be welcomed about 10 minutes after arriving. The "waitress" told us to pick a table and get what we wanted from the buffet table and they'll bill us after we ate. She lacked any training, didn't visit our table so we did not receive a drink of any sort. We asked for a wine list and she presented an empty ticket folder. We made fun of her and picked up and left to go to the Mahogany Bar. The service at the bar was far better. Jennifer, the bar supervisor, was excellent and friendly.

When we got to our room to turn in, we were awaken at 3:00am by sound of a domestic fight. There was banging, door slamming, yelling and they broke the hall decorations including the mirror and lamp. We called front desk to get the matter situated and although they took care of it, it took them almost an hour. Then after that, we could hear the room next to us having a normal conversation. The walls are awfully thin, like paper-thin.

There's not much of a view, but that's Midland, TX's fault. However, there are a few restaurants and a couple of bars within walking distance from the hotel.

The hotel as a whole isn't that bad, not great either. It's the restaurant staff and quality of the hotel that gives it a poor rating.

We would not recommend this hotel nor would we ever come back. We've had far better experiences at all the Marriott hotels and have learned our lesson that price doesn't always mean it's better.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CrabbyKing93
Reviewed September 12, 2008

I checked into my room in the north tower because I was attending a seminar in Midland the next day. I awoke to get ready and laid out my clothing and toiletries in the bathroom as I looked around for a bath towel. I searched on the towel rack, the closet, the bathroom drawers, but discovered I had only been given three hand towels (and a dirty wet washcloth). I decided I did not have time to call the maid and wait for her to bring a bath towel, so I would just dry off with a couple of hand towels. I got in the shower and cranked the dial to “Hot”. I waited and waited and waited. The temperature never reached “hot”, just unpleasantly cool. I quickly decided the water was too cold for a full shower and I was just going to have to wash my hair in the miserably cold water from the spigot. When I finished, I was beginning to worry about how much time I had left to get ready. I quickly dried off with the hand towels and got dressed. When I stepped out of the bathroom I noticed the “Express Checkout” receipt had been slid under my door. I thought I would use it to checkout quickly, but upon reviewing the charges, I noticed I had been charged twice for parking, so I was going to have to waste more time at the front desk. This hotel was very overpriced ($225 including all taxes and surcharges) for the level of quality provided.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank ozymondias
Reviewed July 10, 2008

They don't speak English...most of the staff are from Romania or Russia. That's fine, but we should be able to communicate. My husband tried to order a Long Island and bar tender said she "only knows beer". The room was very outdated with cracks in the shower, the air units were very loud, halls and room smelled moldy, and at least on the 11th floor halls the a/c didn't work at all. We had left our vanity bag in our room and after three days of "looking for it" we were able to get it mailed to us, but half the items were missing. I had pusrchased "The Art Of shaving complete set for my husband and of course everything but the three cheapest pieces were missing. So now we are "working" on locating the rest or just waiting for the hotel to say "sorry, our staff doesn't understand Hilton values".

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank omrijr
Reviewed June 28, 2008

I live in Midland. My husband was having a poker party, and I was tired so I checked into the Hilton to get a good night's sleep. It was nice. The air conditioner unit in my room was a little loud, but it didn't keep me awake. The towels were nice, and the bedding was just fine. The ice machine worked. No problems. The hotel is getting a little worn. For example, the carpet looks a little old, but it wasn't offensive. It was OK. Not a bad place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank willieTexas
Reviewed June 11, 2008

Room in South tower had dirtly looking carpet, closet mirrors that were smudged/dirty.

Room looked old.