“Best bet in Midland”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas
“Best bet in Midland”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This downtown hotel is the best bet in Midland and has been for decades, but beware that the oil boom has made all hotels in town very expensive for what you get. I wouldn't pay less though. Go ahead and stay here. After years of tough times, they are handling this boom with friendly grace. They deserve the good fortune. This hotel building is an old 70s building, but they have done a good job of keeping things relatively updated. I thought the air conditioning was inadequate, but others felt it was fine. The rooms and bathrooms were large and very clean. The work space was excellent. Plenty of outlets, good chair and a real desk. Wifi was good. The towels and linens were OK, not great, but just just fine for a business class hotel. Added benefit from an old building is that the shower head was more vigorous than newer "greener" hotels! There is a kind of hidden bar on the third floor, with a patio that was very pleasant on a summer evening after sundown. The staff are friendly in a small town Texas way. Helpful and kind. Beware that transportation is an issue in Midland. Don't rely on taxis. Really. Rent a car. The Wall Street Grill about a block away had an excellent steak and a happy atmosphere. After twenty years, still the best in the region.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your amazing review of our hotel! We are very proud of our renovation and are so pleased you enjoyed yourself! I believe that what we lack in the sparkle of "brand new" we make up for in exceptional service and hospitality! I so appreciated your remarks in regards to our staff. I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Colorado Springs, United States
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Very nice hotel - clean, friendly staff. I only stayed one night, but it was a good stay. It was obvious the hotel was older but had been nicely renovated/upgraded. A good value for the price I paid, which was a corporate rate. There was a problem w/ the ice makers on some floors, but the staff was very responsive once the issue was reported.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I am so pleased that you had a nice stay with us. We work very hard to take care of our guests and it's nice to be noticed. We look forward to having you back!
Austin
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This hotel is booked for our All Classes reunion every two years. We are suppose to get the Reunion rate, however some paid as little as $100. while others paid $175. per night. I don't know how this was determined. I did hear some people are going to stay elsewhere next reunion because of this. The hotel is the center of all the activities for the reunion. The Staff was great and very helpful. They offered free valet service which was much appreciated.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
JanM,
I have spoken with our Director of Sales and all guests who were in town for the reunion received the same rate. We set a block of rooms aside for you as negotiated by your reunion chairperson. I assure you that all of you are charged the same, as Ms. White did when you addressed this concern with her. I am sorry about any confusion, but it is not our policy to offer different rates within a group. I hope this clears up and questions you may have, if not please feel free to call the hotel to speak with us directly. Have a wonderful day and we look forward to the next reunion.
Chicago, United States
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Overall this was a clean and nice hotel. The staff was friendly and the rooms were clean. I needed a quite place to have a conference call and the staff arranged a private dining room that I could use. I would stay here again when visiting the area.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are so pleased to be able to accommodate our guests as needs arise. I am pleased we were able to provide a private meeting space for you. I look forward to serving you again in the future. Hope to see you soon.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2013

From the moment we pulled in to valet parking until the time we checked out, the staff could not have been nicer. My room was on the 9th floor in the south tower and elevator service was fast. My bed was the best ever. I'm going to call and find out who made that matress. God it was wonderful and so were the pillows. Everything worked in the room and I didn't want to leave after 2 nights. Oil boom has caused higher prices in all hotels in Midland. This Doubletree just can't be beat. Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you so very much for your excellent review! I am so glad that you enjoyed the stay. I love the beds and pillows too! You can find them online at www.hiltontohome.com We look forward to having you back soon.
Anthony
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Way to expensive for this older upgraded hotel... It is a decent hotel in a good location for my work but since the oil boom this $159 a night hotel went up to $309 a night... I would like to see the price drown back in the near future..

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. I am glad you like our location and wish to let you know that the front desk has many suggestions for local restaurants and places to get out and enjoy. Please remember to use your corporate discount when booking your future reservations. As always, I am here to assist in any way I can. Please let me know how I can serve you during your future trips to Midland.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Staff are super friendly and helpful - lots of good advice on where is good to eat etc, free valet parking and quick car return appreciated and nice rooms with good showers. Would have been a five star review if the pool had looked less grim and dirty from above and more inviting. Super comfy beds, good linen and pillows so everything a business traveller needs really.

Rob

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your awesome review of our hotel! I am so glad you enjoyed the bed, linens and pillows. We have one of the greatest staff's at any hotel, in my opinion! They work very hard to take good care of our guests. We do have a problem out here in West Texas with very few trees and so no wind break... dust! We vacuum the pool daily as well as wash the deck, but on windy days it does need to be done again later in the day! Thank you for the reminder, I will speak with my Chief Engineer. Thank you again for your review, I quite liked it! Look forward to seeing you again.