“Great Stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Stavanger, Norway
“Great Stay”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Very nice room with comfortable bed. Coookie was good on arrival. I enjoyed the stay and the staff was very friendly and courteous. A band playing outside was warned about but turned out to be no problem noise wise.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your awesome review of our hotel. We are so pleased that you had a great stay! I do hope you will come back and see us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Atlanta, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Overall, the room was clean but I've stayed in business class hotels that were nicer and much cheaper than this Doubletree. I like the Doubletree brand but this room certainly was not worth $300/night!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our property. Currently, we are a bit higher priced than other Double Tree properties you may have stayed at. We are experiencing a boom economy due to the local oil and gas market, you will find that all hotels in the Permian Basin area are higher priced right now. I am glad that overall you had a good stay and didn't have issues with maintenance or our staff! I do hope we see you again in the near future!
Seattle
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed here on May 29 on a business trip to the oilfields in New Mexico. Checked in, was exhausted (after midnight), was given a warm cookie (nice), put went downhill from there. I was directed to room 622, and waved to a nearby elevator bank. Went up, and COULDN'T FIND THE ROOM. There was no number on that sixth floor that corresponded with my room number. Went back down, turns out I was directed to the wrong tower - another elevator bank exists all the way in the back - nearly 8 minute walk from the front desk to a tiny, two-person elevator you could easily miss. Front desk should have seen I was going to the wrong elevator bank, but alas they didn't bother to tell me. Finally found the room, went over to turn on the A/C unit, and the cover fell right off the thing onto the floor. Bathroom grout had signs of mold, and the reading light by the bed kept flickering off for no reason while I was trying to read, finally couldn't take it anymore so I just turned it off. The carpet was worn, and the room smelled really musty. For nearly $300 per night, this is about as bad as it gets, particularly for a Hilton (I'm an Honors member, and generally have good experiences in Hiltons). When I met my colleague for breakfast the next day, turns out his room didn't even have a BED. He needed to go down to the desk to check in to another room. Needless hassle all around for exhausted travelers.

Room Tip: Just make sure you get to the correct elevator bank!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
I do apologize Sir, that you arrived late and were not directed to the proper elevator bank. The South tower elevators are approximately a 45 second walk down the hallway with a normal gait. The elevators there are the same size as the elevators in the North tower. Please feel free to ask for the North tower when making your next reservation as that seems to be your preference, we will try to accommodate you as long as we are not sold out. It was unfortunate that the cover fell off the ac unit, though that should not affect the operation, they are cosmetic and clip right on. It must not have snapped in place after cleaning. I'm sure that was shocking having it fall off like that. Again, my apologies. I have reported the flickering bulb to our maintenance department to have that changed, as well as the grout in the bathroom so they can check that, thank you for making me aware of the issues. When booking online, as your friend did, be cautious not to request a parlor room. They do not have beds, they are available in addition to sleeping rooms if one needs extra space. I do hope when you return that you will find everything to your satisfaction. If you experience any issues at all feel free to dial 0 and ask for Helen. I do hope we will see you back again soon.

Travelers are raving about these Midland hotels

Muskogee, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We had a wonderful experience at the Double Tree in Midland. The breakfast buffet was fantastic and the bed was wonderful. Look forward to staying there again. The service was excellent, The people were so friendly and helpful. When we checked in the men at the front desk went out of there way to help us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for that lovely review! We are so happy you had a great experience with us and hope you will be back soon! We love our "get away" couples... what's better than a little romance? Hope to see you again soon!
Stockbridge, MA, United States
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This was, by far, the worst Hilton product experience ever for me. As a long time Hilton Honors member and former Platinum level, this hotel is a firm example of why Hilton is no longer my hotel product of choice. The room was dirty and musty with poor/loud air conditioning. The restaurant was literally disgusting with water served in smelly, dirty glasses. It was also infested with flies. An absolutely horrible experience. Shame of Hilton for the product they are presenting to the public in Midland TX.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I do value all of our guests comments and opinions. We do have issues with ac noise especially when it's windy, as it often is here in Midland. As far as dirty glasses in the restaurant, all of our glassware is washed in a commercial dishwasher and polished after to prevent water spots. I don't know how you could have gotten a dirty, smelly glass. I apologize for flies, we were unloading new woodwork for our lobby area and the side door across from thee restaurant was propped open while our contractors were working. I would like to assure you that is not generally an issue. I apologize for any inconvenience these things caused and hope you will give us the opportunity to rectify our service failure for you on a future stay. Thank you for your email correspondence as we work to resolve this together.
Dallas
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Hotel is an older building, but is currently undergoing remodeling. Overall, property was clean and staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was what you would expect at a Hampton Inn, only it costs $10 here. Room rate is high for what you get; it is clear this and other hotels in Midland are capitalizing on high demand. Rates could not be sustained at this level if there were any competition. Nice location for downtown business.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and noted that we have a wonderful staff. I think breakfast buffets are pretty typical anywhere you eat one... but we try to have a lot of variety. I hope that you enjoyed the renovations, it has been a long process with every surface in the building being updated! To address the comment about pricing, the lodging industry like any other business is as you stated, the law of supply and demand. In our current local economy the prices have risen throughout the area. We are higher priced now than we have been historically, but we are not the highest priced property in Midland, although we are one of the few full service hotels here. I hope that you will be back and stay with us soon.
Texas City, Texas
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Security (or lack thereof), noise of other patrons after midnight, restaurant staff/food was terrible, construction, staff with bad attitude. A large group of people came into the hallway after midnight and proceeded to mingle in the hallway and room to room, yelling, slamming doors, etc. Security didn't bother to handle it until someone complained after 45 minutes. Then, security didn't hang around to make sure the crowd dispersed, so it took another 30 minutes for it to actually be quiet enough to sleep again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Eva,
I am very sorry that you had this experience. We do provide security at our facility, however they cannot be everywhere at once or deal with situations until as you stated, they are reported. Often we are unaware of them until a guest calls. I do apologize for your inconvenience and our lack of a better response to the noise complaint. We really do take our guest safety and satisfaction very seriously. I hope this did not ruin your trip altogether, and that you will come back to give us a chance to make this right for you.