“wonderful southern hospitality”

GreenLeadersSilver level
dallas, texas
“wonderful southern hospitality”
Reviewed March 12, 2008

i have stayed at the midland hilton on several occasions and the stay has been an overall joy. the staff as a whole was very accomodating and very friendly. they were more than helpful in everyway. the food was very good, we had steaks and both bars are very nice. i had an overall good experience and the best part was how the staff made me feel , when i go to midland i will not stay anywhere else

• Liked — friendly staff, wireless internet, restaurant
  • Disliked — not much to do in midland
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed March 5, 2008

I was in town for a wedding last November and chose the Hilton because our family members were all staying there. I was concerned about some of the bad reviews, but found the stay very pleasant.

The lobby and rooms were nice, bed was very comfortable. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

As others have noted, this hotel may not be as nice as other Hiltons, but I didn't have any complaints. I think our group rate was around $100/night, and I've stayed in $300 hotels that weren't much nicer. For those who aren't expense account travelers, I think it's a good place to stay, especially considering the dearth of options in Midland.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
Virginia
Reviewed November 21, 2007

This was my first stay in a Hilton, and I was impressed with the room's decor and finishing relative to other hotels I've been in. Check-in was simple, parking was close and free, and the location was pretty good. Wired Ethernet was good for HSI, and the room was very clean. The complimentary bottled water was nice.

Location was good as far as getting to the airport and finding food, but not much night life nearby for a downtown location--it was downright empty, and on a Friday night.

• Liked — Elegance, service
  • Disliked — Slightly worn rooms, boring neighborhood for downtown
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank demigrog
Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed November 19, 2007

Despite all the negative reviews I read on TripAdvisor, I had a great stay at the Midland- Hilton. The staff is outstanding!! They were extremely responsive to my needs. They went out of their way to check on me and answer my questions. The two bars in the hotel were great! The Mahogany is probably the best bar in downtown Midland. Previous reviews were correct about downtown Midland being ghost town at night (and during the day it seemed to me). I had to drive a few miles for alternate dining options but that was okay to me. Plus I got a great corporate rate!! I will definately stay here again.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
Texas
Reviewed October 2, 2007

I was a little uneasy after reading some of the scathing reviews posted about this hotel. However, there really is a pretty limited selection of hotels in Midland unless you want to stay at a roadside inn so I decided to give it a try.

Upon our arrival at the hotel, we found that there was plenty of parking. Valet is also available for a nominal fee if you are so inclined. Check-in was quick and without incident. Our room was exactly as reserved, and we found everything to be in good order. The room was clean, tastefully decorated, and everything was in good condition. The bed had nice linens, plenty of pillows, and was quite comfortable.

The hotel has a pool. It is nothing to get excited about, but it is there. There is a coffee bar in the lobby (Starbucks), a restaurant (which we never saw anyone eating at), and a bar/lounge which looked to be a nice place to have a drink.

The hotel is located right in downtown Midland which is a bit of a ghost town on the evenings and weekends. So, don't expect a happening downtown scene. Shopping and eateries are an easy 5-10 mile drive.

Overall, I would say that I had a very pleasant stay. I would also be happy to stay at this hotel again if I needed to go to Midland. Just remember that you are in Midland, Texas. This hotel is not going to compare to the Hilton in Chicago or New York. Set your expectations accordingly and you will be just fine.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Midland, Texas
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 14, 2007

I booked this hotel, as it was recommended by a company that was hosting a week long class that I had to attend in Midland. I have stayed at other places in Midland, including a budget hotel, and all of them have been better experiences than the one I suffered through at the Hilton.

The check in staff was mediocre, at best. They weren't interested in customer satisfaction or service, which was proved to me many times. I returned to my room after being gone from 7:00-5:00, and it hadn't been cleaned or serviced. The maids were down the hall, so I took it upon myself to go to the gym for awhile. I returned to my room at 6:45, and it still had not been cleaned, and the maids were gone. When I called down to the front desk, they told me, "Well, the maids are gone." I asked what they planned to do about it, and she just sat on the phone, not saying anything. Eventually, she offered to leave a note. I decided to go downstairs and visit with the MOD. She apparently went up there herself with towels and pulled the sheets straight, but the room was not serviced.

On the second day, I realized that, despite having sent a pre-authorization form for a credit card, they had run my debit card, instead of the pre-authorized credit card. I asked to speak to a manger, and when I tried to explain my situation to me, she cut me off and transfered me to Accounts Payable, without even hearing me out. Accounts Payable didn't answer, so I asked to be connected to the General Manager, Keith, so I could hopefully find someone who would listen to me and explain what happened. He was nice enough, and after a few phone calls to get the pre-authorization form re-sent, they released the funds from my debit card, and offered me an extended check out on my last day, as my flight was not leaving until 7:00.

When I went to check out on Friday, they had run the pre-authorization card, despite my telling them that I would be paying it on my card. The young fellow at the desk charged the wrong card twice, and when I told him he needed to back out those charges and charge it to the card I had with me, he didn't know how to do it. He stood around until he saw someone who might be able to help him -- the catering manager. She didn't know how to do it either, but at least she knew how to try and find someone who could fix the problem. Finally (20 minutes later), a front end manager showed up and fixed the problem.

Overall, it was a very stressful experience, mostly due to the employees who didn't care about their job or their customers. The manager was professional and helpful, but seems to have difficulty getting his staff trained and competent in basic job functions.

Other stuff: The breakfast offered for Hhonors members was okay -- fruit and cereal -- but it was free, so it was a nice enough gesture. The room I stayed in was large enough, but the bathroom was TINY. There was barely enough room to turn around in there, let alone close the door. There is free wireless internet, which really helps when you have to be away from the office. The fitness center is very bare bones, but they have agreement with Gold's Gym, which allows you to get a total work out if you want. Pool area is nice enough. Downtown location is away from most restaurants, but Wall Street across the street is a must dine.

I recommend you stay elsewhere. This hotel does not live up to the expectations of the Hilton brand.

• Liked — Free wireless internet
  • Disliked — Small bathrooms, unfriendly and incompetent staff, location
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Bellarina126

Travelers are raving about these Midland hotels

Scottsdale
Reviewed August 1, 2007

We stayed here in the middle of a long road trip.(with two very small children) Just for fun I ordered the romance package. (Robes, champagne, candles, executive level - evening appetizers and private breakfast etc...) Thought my husband I would make the most of our "family vacation" since we were stuck in the room at night) Instead, we received no robes, had to call twice for the champagne and chocolates to be delivered. The concierge level had no food or anyone attending it. The pool was a nasty green swamp. My bathtub had no plug nor did the bathroom sink, which made my baby bottle washing a real blast. I paid more for this "nicer"hotel because I wanted a little pampering -instead I left angry. When we back through town we went to Holiday Inn Express. Cleaner and bigger room, better service and very nice breakfast compared to Hiltons crappy oatmeal.

• Liked — Location to a reatuarant we like.
  • Disliked — Service and old plumbing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family