“Old and Worn Out”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza
Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in Midland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Hilton Honors Member. Stayed here for the first time. Most other Hilton locations in the area had already been booked. Carpet was dirty, food under cushions on couch, cushion on chair completly ripped in back, and light fixture in bathroom out. Tried checking in a 4:45 pm and room was not ready. 10 minutes later I was told it was ready, got checked in and maid was still in my room cleaning. Not worth the money. Not Hilton standards.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza

Reviewed August 1, 2012

This hotel used to be a Hilton but now is a DoubleTree. We have spent at least 300 nights in the Midland Hilton and just 2 in the DT. I saw them cleaning up the deck around the hot tub so it should be spiffy now. The new general manager was present and available. We arrived on Wednesday when they have some wacky wig hair day so don't get freaked out by the valet or desk clerk - they are having fu and building morale. The breakfast was at least average with an omelette bar. The bar is smokey but all bars in Midland are. I think Wall Street Bar across the street does not allow smoking but it's pretty busy. The beds were comfortable. They are updating the rooms so you may get a new one if you are Hilton rated. But, then, with the lack of hotel rooms in Midland, you might not get a new room. Book at least 2 weeks out to get a room at this hotel. With the current oil boom, the sooner the better or you might be sleeping in Big Springs!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room.
1  Thank DLemon
helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are in the process of a major renovation throughout the entire hotel. Rooms are nearly complete and we have started on the public areas. I hope you will come see all of the changes, including the expanded bar! We are hoping it will be open by the New Year. :)

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Very Nice Rooms. Beds are Comfortable. Rooms are very Quiet. Great Internet and TV. No freebies here though. For 123.00 a night they could at least have a cont. breakfast. Restaurant and bar are nice but pricey. Smoking is allowed in the bar, which kept me out. No Microwave or fridge in the rooms.

Room Tip: I was on the 5th floor and it was very quiet.
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I live in Texas and you get used to friendly hotel staff, but the Hilton now the Doubletree Midland kills you with kindness. I don't think I have ever met a nicer, attentive staff in all my travels. Free valet service, check in was quick and easy and included a warm cookie. How could you go wrong with a free cookie? The manager was in the lobby and came up to ask me if all was well and I needed help to my room. The hotel is going through or just went through a remodel and branding change.

The room was beautiful and looked out on to the pool and the other tower. Everything was clean. Once in my room I had a welcome package of snacks - woo hoo!

I did not eat dinner in the hotel even though there is an onsite restaurant - I will try that next time. Within walking distance is the Wall Street Bar and Grill. I had breakfast brought up through room service - it was on time and very good. I was even provided a detailed receipt without asking - this is needed to do my expense report.

Several times I was in the lobby and saw the manager checking on guests and available for staff. This is nice to see, doesn't happen often that you see such an attentive manager.

I will stay here again next time I am in town.

Room Tip: There are two towers - I have heard other guests mention staying in the North Tower.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DallasTravels107
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I am a loyal Hilton Honors member and very rarely do I find one of their properties to be unacceptable. This is one of those locations I will never visit again.

This location is in downtown Midland so I was shocked at the condition of the hotel. Check-in was smooth, but this where the adventure begins. To get to the next tower I was staying in required a haul. Having to get up in less than 6 hours for a flight out of there I was not in the mood for a hike to my room.

Room was ok, but not like what's am used to when it comes to Hilton. My complimentary Hilton perk items where in my room. Then I spot the ugly and dirty A/C and heat unit. It was bit chilly that night but i knew from past experiences never to turn on a dirty unit. The closet was so small you could not store maypny clothes, so do not plan on a long stay. The bathroom was almost as small. You could not get in the shower with the dope open because it meets the toilet and bathtub. The vanity had a broken door that fell off while I was showering. In side was concrete floor, pipes and a diet Coke can someone left behind...yuck!

This is not a hotel, rather a motel and should be charging motel prices.

Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Rating M
Reviewed April 14, 2012

There are no good hotels in Midland.
Blame it on black gold.
Always bring your reservation with you because they give your rooms away to higher paying oil co's

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Watkinsdts
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I stayed here on 2 occassions for business. I am a Hilton blue card member. When i called to book a room, i requested for one in the North tower- the renovated one. When i checked one, the person in the front desk informed me that all rooms were booked in the North tower and they put me in the South tower. Well- i knew right off the bat that wasn't the truth. Anyway- the room i got was really old and smeely. It was musty and smelled of smoke that was hidden by air frehners or something. It was not plesant. When i walked around the room, the soles of my feet got black since the carpert was soooo dirty!!! Not nice at all. This hotels needs some serious renovation. The lamps, furniture are like antique pieces from the 70's.
The staff are very friendly. They did a good job but the property has to be fixed big time!!! The hotel is in a good location- close to all the offices. I won't be staying here the next time- even if it means i have to drive quite a bit to get to office. It will be worth a good night's rest.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business