“Fantastic getaway”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rushton
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Fantastic getaway”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Initially we had booked for a weekend but our daughter became ill. The hotel were excellent in moving us to an alternative weekend and rearranging our spa treatments.

The location and hotel are beautiful. Our room (State room) was spacious, clean, warm and quiet. The spa is excellent and the staff and treatments were first class. The evening meal was superb and very reasonable for the quality.

Overall Rushton Hall is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Beautiful location, excellent service and staff, and a relaxing spa. We will be back and would highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
valhNorthamptonshire, Owner at Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

I thank you very much for your extremely nice review.

I hope we will welcome you to Rushton Hall again in the future.

Valerie Hazelton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We got married at Rushton Hall last month. Let me start by listing the positives - the venue is amazing and great for photographs; all the guests commented on how beautiful and spacious their rooms were; the food at the wedding breakfast was far better than we had ever had at any other wedding - lots of people commented on that too - we had the beef which was cooked perfectly (pink). The staff on the day were generally very attentive and helpful, and despite us running a few minutes late by the time of the wedding breakfast, it didn't cause a problem for them.
We booked Rushton a year before the wedding as it seemed to offer everything we wanted, however during that year we experienced difficulties which I found very stressful when trying to plan our wedding. I realise that hotels are out there to make money, however the impression we got from Rushton was that it was ALL about the money, they weren't very accommodating to our needs.
For example we had no additional evening guests, which meant that contractually we weren't obliged to have a buffet provided by Rushton. We had our heart set on a wedding cake made of cheese for the evening food which are very popular at the moment. In December 2011 we asked Rushton whether this was possible - at first we were told 'no' because it was against Health and Safety law for us to provide cheese to be put in their fridge. When I queried this I was told that it was just against hotel policy to put cheese not purchased by Rushton Hall in one of their fridges. It took a few months of discussions with them for them finally to agree to put the cheese in their fridge that we purchased (and then they said we'd have to sign a disclaimer which in fact we were never provided with). We paid Rushton to supply biscuits/chutneys and other accompaniments to the cheese for the evening but they refused to provide cheese boards to cut the cheese on, or cheese knives, so we had to go any buy several ourselves. They then refused to wash them at the end of the night so we had to take them home the following day dirty and wash them before leaving for our honeymoon at midday.
We were not informed when we booked (it may have been in some small print but we didn't read everything so perhaps our fault) that the latest time they would accommodate a ceremony at Rushton was 2:30pm. I had hoped to get ready at Rushton before the wedding however they do not allow check in until 3pm unless you book the room the night before, which for a basic 4-poster room is around £300. We opted for a slightly more expensive wedding car in the end as £300 for use of a room for a couple of hours took the biscuit. They also do not provide a separate room for the bridal party which I understand from friends some venues do - this was something we really did not consider before booking but it would have been really useful.
As I arrived by car I asked Rushton if I there would be a full length mirror I could use in the room where you meet the registrar before the ceremony so I could check my appearance - quite an important thing for a nervous bride. Unfortunately they were not able to accommodate this which was disappointing.
We had hoped to have a methuselah bottle of champagne in the cellar bar in the evening for our guests (600cl bottle) however upon being told that corkage would have been around £250 we had to change our plans. I did ask if the figure was negotiable but was told it wasn't. I know hotel corkage costs are high and I'm sure this is in line with other 4 star hotels but I was shocked at the amount charged when we were spending so much on the rest of the wedding (and buying their champagne for the toasts and drinks reception).
Other minor points on the day were that Rushton were meant to set up the wedding breakfast tables (with favors and place settings) however when my husband was at Rushton on the morning of the wedding nobody was there to assist so him and the best man had to do the whole room. We put candles in the library for the wedding breakfast but they had neglected to light these and I had to ask for it to be done after we had all sat down to eat. We had asked a year previously whether we could use Rushton's storm holders for candles at the wedding breakfast as when we looked around there were several in the room. We were sent an email a year before our wedding date from Rushton stating that we could not use them as they were required elsewhere in the hotel on that particular day. I found this difficult to believe at the time and sure enough on the wedding day they were not in use but standing idle in the Great Hall. If Rushton didn't want us to use them I'd rather they just said rather than saying something that clearly wasn't true.
We also had a few issues with costings with Rushton - they got room rates wrong for our bridal suite, and the amount charged for biscuits and accompaniments to our cheese cake changed a few times too which made financial planning more difficult.
All in all Rushton is a beautiful location and we had a fantastic wedding day. It's a shame this was overshadowed by difficulties in planning. I'd like to make it clear that we never had any problems with any particular member of staff, it was just the little things that Rushton kept putting in our way which didn't make the planning as enjoyable as it could and should have been. It would be nice if they could be more accommodating and think of the customer more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank M5839
Eye, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This was a birthday treat from my Husband - the hotel is very exclusive - the meal was excellent - Staff very friendly. The meal was one of the best we have ever had. The Spa was very relaxing. The hotel is set in lovely grounds. Would definately come back again - maybe for longer. Room was well decorated and in keeping with the style of building.

Room Tip: We had Whistlejack which was near the Spa - we had robes and slippers which is a nice touch. Althoug...
2 Thank cswright54
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your lovely review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope we will be welcoming you to Rushton Hall again in the future.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I visit the UK annually in search of wonderful country house experiences. We have been fortunate enough to stay at Cliveden, Gravetye Manor, Hambleton Hall, Buckland Manor, Horsted Place and many more. Rushton Hall is right up there with Cliveden as a magnificent place to visit.

I desperately want to give Rushton Hall a 5 star rating. If I could use fractions, I would give it 4.5 stars. The building, erected in 1438 is not only grand and beautiful, but seems to be in excellent condition. We were upgraded toe the Dukes Room, which was spacious, well appointed and provided splendid views. You could neither ask nor expect any better.

The only area, in my opinion, in which Rushton Hall falls short is the food and beverage side. The dining room is very attractive and the menu is adventurous. We thought the food reasonably good, but certainly not outstanding, with service only mediocre. Our visit was for four nights. The menu was the same every night. A couple of days we had enjoyed heavy lunches (at The George in nearby Stamford) and simply could not face a full dinner experience. When asking the staff about alternatives, we were advised that lighter fare was available from 5:00 to 6:30, but we would just be returning about that time and looking for a light dinner somewhat later. We were not told about the Thornhill Arms, a very nice pub in the village.

Rushton Hall also has a Great Hall which is truly magnificent. It houses a small bar. In this room a very nice tea is served. The drink service was just fair. It is a shame that such a wonderful room could not be better utilized and enjoyed. Except for tea, the room was rarely occupied by more than a couple. There is also a large fireplace, but in spite of the cold weather, there was never a fire glowing. What a shame, as this would have made the room even more inviting.

The spa facilities are beautifully housed in the adjacent stableyard. Unfortunately we did not have a chance to use the spa, but we did peek in and everything appeared to be very nice.

I really would like to see Rushton Hall up there as one of the great country house hotels. I have no doubt it could be there.

Room Tip: Pray for an upgrade. or spend a little extra. Some of the rooms are wonderful, like the Dukes Room.
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

I can assure you that we will look into the various points made and work on improving the areas mentioned.

Suffolk
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We (four of us) stayed 2 nights at this very impressive hotel. Rooms were large and luxurious with fluffy bath robes & slippers - lovely shampoos and bath/shower gels. The staff were excellent - they actually seemed as though they loved working there with nothing being to much trouble. We reserved a table in the restaurant and had some of the best food served to us that we have had in serveral months. (This was quite expensive Approx £75 per head) but i will say it was worth it. We booked through secret escapes which saved us approx 50% on the room rate which was a good saving.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope we will welcome you to Rushton Hall again in the future.

Gaydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

what can i say .In this day and age to find a hotel with all the staff singing off the same hyme sheet what credit to the owners . Nothing was to much trouble we where a party of six and all are needs where catered for.The spa was very well run and the staff amazing i had a total time out deep tissue muscle massage which took 2 hour's and seemed like only 10 minutes(a slight point the music after 30 minutes get's to you ) and yes i did start falling asleep.Four of us had various treaments and where all very pleased .Just a point about dressing gowns from the spa i was advised to take mine to the room but partner was advised to leave her's their.
We had pre drinks in the main hall what a lovely place open fire .We then ordered are meal and was ask if we would like wine .He recommend a white and a red and he did not go for the dearest which is nice to see!!!!!
the meal what can i say fantasic the service was not in your face but their where their when needed .we all had starter main and desert( one off are party had the scallops for main which was great no fuss it all presented lovey and tasted better!!!!!!!!!!! All washed down with coffee and after drinks back in the main hall what a fab meal.For what we had £90.00 a head was well cheap yes you could spend 5 times the price on a bottel of wine but what we had suit are party the wine man was bang on with the wine and tailoring the wine to his clients FULL MARKS.
great hotel ,great food.great staff
will we be back????? O that would be YES YES YES

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your lovely review and I am pleased to hear you would like to return again in the future.

I am sorry about the confusion with the bathrobes, they should indeed be returned to the rooms. I will make sure the Spa is aware of this.

Once again, thank you and I hope we will be welcoming you to Rushton Hall in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Me & my partner stayed at Rushton Hall for our 1st anniversary. I don't know where to start to express how beautiful this place is. It is like something out of Downton Abbey. The grounds, the rooms, the atmosphere, everything, so lovely.

SPA - We booked full body massages in a double treatment room - very good quality treatment, heated treatment beds and lovely relaxing atmosphere. The spa is absolutely lovely, warm pool, jacuzzi, sauna & steam room, lots of reclining seats to relax on.

DINNER - Fine dining in the Tresham restaurant was amazing, nothing was too much effort for the lovely staff. Food was beautifully presented and lovely flavours. It is expensive - £140 bill, but worth it. We particularly liked post-dinner drinks by the roaring fire in the room next door, relaxed atmosphere with beautiful surroundings.

We will definitely be returning, and would recommend it to any couple wanting a relaxing, romantic getaway.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
valhNorthamptonshire, Owner at Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us.

Your comments are greatly appreciated and I hope you will visit Rushton Hall again in the future.

Valerie Hazelton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rushton
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,023 reviews
Kilworth House Hotel
Kilworth House Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Kilworth

Been to Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!